INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android (10) having trouble reading 'Sync handheld' playlists  (Read 1484 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Android (10) having trouble reading 'Sync handheld' playlists
« on: December 15, 2019, 12:16:15 pm »

I've been trying to export music and playlists to my Samsung s10e and cannot get it to accept any of the M3U playlist options. After manually editing them, my phone can see and use them *if* the paths are in Linux format:

Here's the result (playlists are in /Playlists/)
Full path (doesn't work): Galaxy S10e - Phone\Music\K'naan - Troubadour - 01 - T.I.A..mp3
Full path without drive letter (doesn't work): \Music\K'naan - Troubadour - 01 - T.I.A..mp3
Relative path (doesn't work): \Music\K'naan - Troubadour - 01 - T.I.A..mp3

This works though:
Manually changed relative path: ../Music/K'naan - Troubadour - 01 - T.I.A..mp3

So, is it possible to do a playlist export that works?

Side note: 'Relative path' option isn't actually relative, as you can see.. should most likely be '..\Music\', not '\Music\'

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Android (10) having trouble reading 'Sync handheld' playlists
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 05:51:31 pm »

It looks like Handheld Sync is broken, again... or maybe still.

I'm still on MC25.0.115, using a Sony Xperia XZ Premium on Android 9.

Syncing to a local hard drive folder using the "m3u (relative paths)" results in m3u files with proper relative paths, such as ".\..\Relax My Dog\RMD - Medium tracks\Separation Anxiety Special.mp3".

Syncing to my Sony SD Card using the "m3u (relative paths)" results in m3u files with absolute paths, such as "\Music\Pet Shop Boys\Very\12 - Go West.flac". But the Playlist works.

I had to check if the Playlists worked on the Sony using the Sony Music App as JRiver for Android didn't even find the synced Playlists. But that is another issue to pursue.

The Sony Music App found the Playlists that are in "\disk\Playlists\", and they pointed to the music correctly in "\disk\Music\", even though the Playlists doesn't specify the \disk\ part of the path. I guess that is assumed.

What player are you using on your Samsung?

PS: I think if you edited the current path to just add ".\.." to the beginning, the Playlist would work for you. I think Android handles the backslash okay. So;

.\..\Music\K'naan - Troubadour - 01 - T.I.A..mp3

But maybe that is equivalent to;

..\Music\K'naan - Troubadour - 01 - T.I.A..mp3

The former just specifically starts with the current directory, which is probably assumed anyway.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:32:35 am »

What player are you using on your Samsung?
I'm using Pulsar, which uses the internal system (not exactly sure how it works), so if a playlist doesn't show up in Google Play Music, it doesn't work. I used to think it was the players that didn't work properly so I have tried a bunch of them.

PS: I think if you edited the current path to just add ".\.." to the beginning, the Playlist would work for you. I think Android handles the backslash okay.
No, unfortunately Android 10 doesn't seem to accept bakslash anymore. I tried both '.\..\' and '..\' without success.

Btw, I'm on MC 25.0.115 as well... I've attached a screenshot of Pulsar playslists. I've edited most of them, but test.m3u is one with backslashes instead of fowrad slashes.

Warbird777

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:35:14 am »

I got it to work (hack):
- Samsung S10e
- Andriod Version 10
- Player: Poweramp
- Supported formats include FLAC, WAV, MP3, etc.

Manually copy music files to \Music folder on phone (multilevel paths work).
- Used the criptic MC RenameCopy dialog to get a copy of the files to a temporary folder on the PC.
- FilePath() function duplicates the existing path but includes the drive letter, final tree must be moved to \Music.
- just make sure the paths under \Music match the relative paths in the playlist.
Create/Edit M3U playlist using Notepad (see format below).
- can use MC Playlist export as a start
Manually copy Play1.m3u playlist file to \Playlists folder on phone.
In Poweramp, go to Playlists, elipsis menu, Rescan / Resolve Playlists.
Note: Do not use MC to move anything to the Phone, MC omits paths, etc.
Just use Windows Explorer to move the files and playlist.

Phone folders
Music Files: \Music
Playlist File: \Playlists

Playlist File Name: Play1.m3u (any name works, but use m3u extension)
Playlist Format: relative
.\..\Music\Peter Gabriel\OVO\Peter Gabriel - OVO - 09 - White Ashes.mp3
.\..\Music\Afro Celt Sound System\Volume 2 Release\Afro Celt Sound System - Volume 2 Release - 08 - Hypnotica.mp3
.\..\Music\Daniel Lanois\Trip\Daniel Lanois - Trip - 06 - Mighty Cloud.mp3
.\..\Music\Simon & Garfunkel\Greatest Hits\Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits - 03 - The Boxer.mp3

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 02:22:33 pm »

I'm having the same problem with just the default (.PLA) playlists with a Samsung S9 and Android 10.

In my case all of the music files are synced correctly, but only between 1 & 7 of the requested 15 playlist files gets copied to the SD card, and even those are not recognized by the default Samsung Music app. And for the record, this used to work in the past for me.

Cheers,
Jeff

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 05:24:49 pm »

What version of MC are you using Jeff?

Basically, PLA files are/were used on Android by lots of Apps, but mostly those Apps can read m3u Playlist files and create their own PLA files, if required. PLA files are weird, particularly on Android. They don't have content, but store the Playlist data in metadata for the file. Creation and syncing of PLA Playlist files was removed from MC back in MC24 I think.

Googling PLA will find lots of discussions where people are trying to work out what they are, and how to use them. Avoid the grief. Use m3u Playlist files in Handheld Sync. They work with my Sony Xperia on Android 9 just fine. Android 10 may have its own issues, but I doubt it has reverted to insisting on using PLA files.

Also, you shouldn't be syncing Playlist files directly, which sort of sounds like what you are doing. Tell MC which Playlists to sync using the Handheld Sync functionality, and it will sync the files included in those Playlists, and create new Playlist files on the handheld device. Have a read of the Wiki articles on Handheld Sync if in doubt.

PS: I have seen MC fail to create all Playlist files on a Handheld during a sync, if a lot of Playlists were selected. I haven't seen that for a while, but I haven't synced lots of Playlists for a while either. Using just a few.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 07:15:19 pm »

Hi Roderick,
Thanks for the speedy reply.

So yes, I've been ticking off the playlists that I want synced in my phone device's Options and letting MC do the magic.

I've been working on this all day, and yes again, I already switched to M3U formats for the bulk of my tests (I'm using MC 24 on this machine btw - Could have swore I had MC 25 on this machine but no.)

Anyway, my internet research is pointing to that Android 10 pretty much broke playlists of the M3U persuassion, period. There are a bunch of reddit threads about it... for example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/eakikd/cant_import_playlists_in_samsung_music_player/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/dmjlt0/playlists_for_music_are_broken_after_android_10/

Guess I'll have to wait until Google fixes it.

Edited to add:
Nope. I was wrong. I just got it to work as per your suggestion above from December (and that Warbird777 expanded upon), with the exception that I had to replace "\" with "/" while manually editing the M3Us that MC placed on the phone to prepend the "./../" to each line.

Cheers,
Jeff

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 08:23:35 pm »

Excellent.

Thanks for letting us know you got it working, and how. It seems Android doesn't handle the backslash then, and a forward slash is required. Although it works on my Xperia, which still shows backslashes in the m3u files on the phone. Maybe the Sony Music App I am using converts the paths during import of the m3u files.

No matter, as long as it works now.

luvmich

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 04:27:30 pm »

I have a Moto G Power (android 10) and replacing \ with ../ fixed my playlist import.  I tried a half dozen different mp3 players and they all failed. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up