INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JMC 25.0.113 for Mac - not leveraging available logical processors  (Read 955 times)

lancek713

I have an iMac Pro with 8 physical processors cores and 16 virtual.  When I use JMC to transcode DSD files to a different format, it is only using 8 of the 16 virtual cores.  I ran the same conversion on my PC desktop which has only 4 physical cores and 8 virtual, and there it's using all 8 virtual cores.

The processor on the iMac is Intel Xeon W-2140B @ 3.20GHz.  Any idea why it would be limited?  Was hoping that the iMac would make short work of transcoding given that its multicore benchmark is nearly twice that of the i7-7700K.

lancek713

Re: JMC 25.0.113 for Mac - not leveraging available logical processors
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:16:14 pm »

Actually I found that by increasing to 8 files at a time I was able to fully tax the 8 physical cores, which seems to have triggered the other 8 virtual cores to wake up.  Transcoding on the iMac is now a great deal faster than the PC.  Although, I suspect if I could select more than 8 files at a time it would reach the processor's full potential.  As it stands the virtual cores are only showing about 30% utilization.
Pages: [1]   Go Up