INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital upsampling questions and thoughts  (Read 904 times)

Flobalob

Digital upsampling questions and thoughts
« on: May 02, 2003, 05:15:18 pm »

I am pleased to see that Media Center 9's DSP Studio now has an output format page where one can specify the output bit depth and sampling rate independently of the source format.
As you know, upsampling is the hot topic in high end audio right now and outboard harware based upsamplers go for $300 and up. Having one included in MC9 seems too good to be true.
I gave it a whirl and since I have a 24/96 soundcard with S/P-DIF outputs and Meridian DSP speakers with 24/96 input, I am in the perfect position to benefit from this. Their is indeed a percieved increase in clarity but also a slight increase in background noise. I have experienced this before when adding high end componentry to my system. The increase in noise could be digital noise from the DSP processing or it could be that I am able to better hear noise from the original recording.
Does anyone have any input as to where this noise originates. Regardless, I think the overall sound is better upsampled.
As to bit-depth, I am unaware of any touted benefits from increased bit depth through to the end of the chain, after all if my source is only 16 bit that would limit the dynamics anyway. I know thing are not always as intuition would dictate in the digital realm so if anyone has any knowledge on this subject I would appreciate hearing it. I believe MC processes everything in 32 bit so thing are getting reformatted anyway.
So, again, my main concern is that the DSP reformatting from 44.1khz to 96khz is somehow inferior to hardware based upsampling. I am still critically listening to it trying to figure it out.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up