INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do the album covers come from?  (Read 750 times)

Signalpath

Where do the album covers come from?
« on: December 19, 2019, 06:29:33 pm »

I'm new to streaming -- newbie trying to learn.

Some of the higher-end home audio streaming boxes have a big color OLED that displays record covers (see photo).

Where does the record cover artwork come from? Images are native to the h/w streaming box? Or images real-time captured from an online source?

tks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Where do the album covers come from?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 08:05:00 pm »

They are most likely coming from inside the audio files being streamed to it. Even if the streamer is actually a DLNA Renderer, the DLNA standard allows handling of Cover Art.

But isn't this really a question for the streaming box provider?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Signalpath

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 08:16:49 pm »

"isn't this really a question for the streaming box provider?"

Maybe.

I guess I could re-phrase my question: how many different ways can a streaming box capture album cover art data?

For instance, do all streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, etc.) transmit such metadata (album art, artist bio, song data, etc) along with the song?

I know that on my wife's cell phone, when she streams a song, there's a picture of the record cover art (Pandora).

But I've also seen album "collections" on h/w streaming boxes. This implies that the record is stored locally on the h/w box itself (not streamed). Or perhaps it's a collection of recently-streamed records?

I dunno. Just wondering if there are any standards for this, or if each streaming h/w box manages meta data differently.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 08:50:40 pm »

Yes, MC can provide Cover Art via DLNA to a streaming box that supports DLNA.

All the other questions are for the suppliers of the various boxes and services. But generally, Cover Art is stored in the file (MP3, FLAC, ALAC, etc.) and the "Streaming Box" gets them from the files. DLNA Renderers get them from the DLNA Server.

I'm sure some research into Spotify, Pandora, and the various Streaming Boxes would find lots of answers. Maybe someone here will speak up. But it would be better to get the information from the source, surely?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up