INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone Addressing  (Read 1013 times)

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
Zone Addressing
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:23:13 pm »

This is sort of the second time I have asked this question. I have a Yamaha RX A1080. This has a zones concept in itself. What I want to do is control the Yamaha zones (Main and Zone2) in MC as if they were separate MC zones. MC currently treats the whole amp as one zone. I can control the zones individually with the Yamaha app so I know it is possible to do.

I understand that the addressing (how MC sends a command to a specific device) is based on the UUID of that device. If my RX A1080 has a single UUID then is that why MC isn't able to distinguish the Yamaha zones?

What I was thinking of was creating a new zone identical to the current Yamaha RX A1080 one and then editing or adding to the addressing somehow so MC can just send commands to Zone2. Yamaha's YNCA (Yamaha Network Control Alias) spec makes it quite simple by using @MAIN and @ZONE2 prefixes to commands.

Is this possible to do within MC?

Mark

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Zone Addressing
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 06:48:19 pm »

When no one answers your first question, it usually means no one knows.

MC uses DLNA, which sees DLNA Renderers. I don't know if MC sees the UUID for DLNA commands or not, but it would seem logical that it sees the IP Address of the device and responses to DLNA and SSDP packets. I think if you want to control the Yamaha Zones from within MC, the Yamaha needs to present two DLNA Renderers. However, you did say;

The app treats the Yamaha Zones as separate renderers.

So maybe you could send commands to the Yamaha to switch zones using an appropriately composed URL, perhaps from a menu in Theatre View since Standard View doesn't have the capability to add a menu item that could send URLs, although maybe a Send To command, or maybe...? Then MC should see one zone disappear and the other zone appear. You could also just use the Yamaha App to switch zones on the RX A1080, wait for MC to find the new DLNA Renderer, and then play to the new Renderer. You just won't be able to see both zones at once, unless the RX A1080 presents both at once. It sounds like it doesn't, except to the Yamaha App.

If you use the Yamaha App to switch zones does MC see the new DLNA Renderer?

I think this is more a question for Yamaha than JRiver.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 09:29:29 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

JRiver just seems to send commands to both Yamaha Zones. It doesn't matter what mode the amp is in.

The other thing I don't quite understand is how to send a command to the receiver via JRiver.

Mark

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 12:16:08 am »

It sounds like the Yamaha actually only presents one DLNA Renderer to the network, and the Yamaha App just knows special functions used to select each internal zone it uses.

The other thing I don't quite understand is how to send a command to the receiver via JRiver.

Well, there is no standard way. But you can add menu items to Theatre View, and I think from memory you can launch a URL from such a menu item. Maybe using mc25.exe or directly. I haven't investigated. You could possibly do the same from keyboard shortcuts, and potentially a programmable IR Remote Control. So if you knew of a URL that switched zones on the Yamaha, you could send the URL from MC and hence control which zone it was using.

But I haven't and can't try any of that, because I don't have a Yamaha.

I still think this is a question for Yamaha, not JRiver.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up