INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: JRemote Offline (Cached) Music  (Read 1422 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Suggestion: JRemote Offline (Cached) Music
« on: December 20, 2019, 10:45:19 am »

[Moved here from Remotes forum: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123299.0.html]

I use MC and JRemote literally every day, in home and all over town/country, and on multiple devices. I've been thinking about this suggestion for years. I think it could fill a major gap in an otherwise awesome digital audio ecosystem...

Suggestion

Inside JRemote, make it possible to select some served library content for offline listening. Meaning: selected library content would be converted per streaming quality settings — similar to handheld sync conversion — and downloaded to local storage on the mobile device within the JRemote app. This would follow the example commonly set by cloud storage servies/apps like DropBox, Box.com, Adobe Document Cloud.

Benefits
  • Reduce/eliminate cellular data usage caused by constantly streaming and often re-streaming the same content from home MC server when away from home and when no WiFi is practical,
  • Reduce/eliminate network-related interuptions during streaming from MC server while travelling (e.g., highway driving, underground subway system, etc.),
  • Eliminate nuissance work periodically required to ensure there exists some desired offline content on the device, depending on one's evolved workflow and device(s): 1) hooking up mobile device to MC server PC/mac via USB cable, 2) transcoding/preparing/exporting selected content from library(ies), 3) surgically curating/replacing/refreshing content repeatedly per items 1 and 2 as listening interests/tastes evolve and the desire to explore more of one's MC library arises,
  • Eliminate the need to use third-party music player app (e.g. Apple's Music app, or paid VOX Player app) to play device-stored content; one could simply manage and play stored content right inside JRemote.
Basically: As things are, one can always see thier whole library using JRemote. However, one can't always play what one wants, without enduring hassles involved to ensure content also exists offline (locally) on the device, using non-JRiver solutions.

Considerations
  • Downloading/refreshing offline-marked content could be limited to only happen on WiFi and to only happen while on the same LAN as the MC server, to avoid large cellular data usage.
  • Downloading/refreshing could be initiated on demand, or, let to run as a background operation (e.g., "when server is found on LAN, update locally stored content to match current offline selections...").
  • MC server would also need to transcode (per server settings) as part of the offline download operation.

***Alternative/Hybrid Approach***

Perhaps the current streaming functionality could be built on to include "cache track before playing", and "leave up to X GB of recently cached content on device" as features. That way, users would always be assured of having some content stored locally on thier device(s), and that content would automatically reflect thier recent listening interests/tastes. This approach would need to include an option within JRemote to "show only locally stored/offline content", so that users could focus on the offline availabilities, rather than being required to take a click-and-hope, or hunt-around-for-offline-content approach.

Thank you.
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Re: Suggestion: JRemote Offline (Cached) Music
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 04:33:23 pm »

Love this idea.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 08:52:46 am »

Yes, please! 

I would love this feature... I would stop using Google Play Music to download songs before a flight or a drive through the mountains.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 07:06:22 am »

Looks like PLEX has done this already:

(From the Plexamp microsite)

Offline bliss -- Plexamp's Downloads screen for syncing offline media to your device -- Grab a few hours of your favorite playlist or stations with just a few taps. Download a custom mix or artist radio for the plane. Simple but powerful offline support for when you’re in the woods or run out of cellular data.

Custom pre-caching so your music keeps playing, because sometimes life brings you through tunnels.

Wow. Plexamp has just become my app of preference for car audio.

Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up