INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One-Off Exception to ignoring Articles? [SOLVED]  (Read 1615 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
One-Off Exception to ignoring Articles? [SOLVED]
« on: December 21, 2019, 12:26:40 pm »

I'm sure this was covered before but I couldn't find it.
I normally ignore articles, so, for example, The Beatles, are listed under "B".
However, I have a one-off situation where I want the movie to include the article when it is listed ("El Camino" should be under "E").
Is there a way to make an exception for a specified item?
Thanks!

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: One-Off Exception to ignoring Articles?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 12:32:32 pm »

I don't know about one-off exceptions, but you could remove "el" from the list of articles if that works for you.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 02:10:13 pm »

Unfortunately, there are other movies that I prefer to have the article "el" ignored.
I thought about putting a zero-width, non-visible space character in there and I sitll might do that (I recall such a thing exists).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 03:50:55 pm »

Including an invisible character in the [Name] may cause issues if you ever use that field to rename, or move, the file.

How about just renaming it "El_Camino" as a compromise?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 06:02:18 pm »

Unfortunately, there are other movies that I prefer to have the article "el" ignored.
I thought about putting a zero-width, non-visible space character in there and I sitll might do that (I recall such a thing exists).

Yes. I use this occasionally. There is a “Non Breaking Space” character that is particularly designed for such purposes. (And I have never encountered problems with it in MC such as suggested by RoderickGI..)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:41:39 pm »

Hmmm...for some reason, I do not seem to be able to enter a non-breaking or zero-width space. I keep getting a weird symbol or question mark.
I have no idea why this is happening though.
As far as using an underscore (thanks for the suggestion!), I find it rather inelegant, and am really hoping not to have to resort to it.
I've tried cutting a pasting a zero width space and non-breaking space into the Name in the tag field, but I get the above mentioned results.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 08:57:20 pm »

(And I have never encountered problems with it in MC such as suggested by RoderickGI..)

The basis for my comment is that there have been a few threads with issues that seem to be caused by Compound Characters on Mac computers, or for people who copy media files from Mac to Windows. MC doesn't seem to handle the transition of the files between Mac and PC well. So a name such as "El Huracán", when used in a filename and then edited using Rename (F2) will show the filename as "El Huraca´n". Basically instead of the character "á" being used, the Compound Characters "a´" are used. That can lead to files not being found by MC, so it re-imports the files, and hence creates what looks like duplicates.

I don't know if that is a MC problem, an OS problem, or a File System problem. Fixing such problems is a little tricky.

I'm assuming that entering a non-breaking or zero-width space may cause the same issues, if a Mac is involved. Maybe I'm being overly cautious. If if doesn't happen with non-breaking or zero-width spaces, that is good to know.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 10:09:37 am »

Hmmm...for some reason, I do not seem to be able to enter a non-breaking or zero-width space. I keep getting a weird symbol or question mark.
I have no idea why this is happening though.
As far as using an underscore (thanks for the suggestion!), I find it rather inelegant, and am really hoping not to have to resort to it.
I've tried cutting a pasting a zero width space and non-breaking space into the Name in the tag field, but I get the above mentioned results.
Unfortunately Media Center has weird font rendering issues. It seems that, if the font you are using in MC does not include the character used, it will display a "missing character" symbol instead of substituting it from another font like pretty much every other modern Windows application.

You'd have to change your display font to one which includes it, or hope that MC fixes the font rendering.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 12:56:58 pm »

^
I use an “out of the box” standard installation of MC (on Windows 10) and for me the NBSP character displays as white space without problem. It also works fine in TheaterView, JRemote (iPad), and Panel..

PS perhaps it’s worth pointing out that my various machines have EU settings, which are probably more likely to display “foreign” / accented, and special characters, properly, compared to a “pure” US machine..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

RD James

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 07:21:44 pm »

^
I use an “out of the box” standard installation of MC (on Windows 10) and for me the NBSP character displays as white space without problem. It also works fine in TheaterView, JRemote (iPad), and Panel..

PS perhaps it’s worth pointing out that my various machines have EU settings, which are probably more likely to display “foreign” / accented, and special characters, properly, compared to a “pure” US machine..
Like I said, it depends on the font you're using, since Media Center does not substitute fonts for missing characters.
If the font you're using contains the character, it should be displayed correctly.

I use the Adobe "Source Sans Pro" font because I find it to be far more legible than most with the way that MC renders text, but it seems to be less "complete" as far as special characters are concerned - so many of the ones I had used previously now display a "missing character" symbol instead of being substituted like other applications do.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 11:03:27 pm »

I'm using Segoe UI (Win 10) which I believe is the MC default.
I tried several reasonable characters but it they didn't workifor me. (and weirder still, I *thought* that it did once work).

Ahhh ==>  I just tried U+2008 (punctuation Space)...and it worked!
Thanks for everyone's help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up