INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Siren Doorbell/ Siren 6  (Read 3693 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Siren Doorbell/ Siren 6
« on: December 22, 2019, 03:32:50 pm »

Anybody set one of these up with Engen?  Do we think it would work?  I'm considering getting one, but reading the configuration is a bit mind boggling:

https://doc.eedomus.com/files/Engineering%20Specification%20-%20Aeotec%20Doorbell%206%20%20.pdf

I'd like to be able to trigger it (make a noise) by calling the Engen API.

Thanks!

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Siren Doorbell/ Siren 6
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 04:43:34 pm »

I found a different document:

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6086176996

I also found this when looking around Home Assistant's site (this is what I currently use, but still use Engen as the Z-Wave hub):

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/aeotec-doorbell-6-zw162/126673/17

The part of the discussion I thought might apply is that it requires OZW 1.6.  I'm going to grab one from Amazon because it'll be here tomorrow and I'll see what happens.  If it doesn't work, I can always return it.

Edit: fixed the first link

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 02:45:43 pm »

The order I placed arrived in time to play with over Christmas.  A few notes:

- it joined Engen without a problem
- when i ring the doorbell, something shows as changing in Engen
- part of the siren functionality is that if someone tries to move it, the siren goes off.  This is annoying as all get out when you have it sitting on your coffee table.
- I can't seem to send updates to the parameters at all.  This isn't good because the siren is loud as ___ and one of the parameters lets you turn down the volume, and turn on/off the vibration sensor from the prior bullet point.  It means that moving it to a location to mount will be impossible because the siren will be blaring in my face the whole time.  Worst part - it has a backup battery.  So unplugging it makes the siren go off, and it continues to go off every time I touch it until the battery dies.  I see history in my Configure page on Engen, but often it will display something like this:  Last Value Sent: 151062804, Current Value: 33554433.  I'm assuming this means my set didn't work.  It certainly doesn't seem to based on the volume of the alarm - and the fact that I can't turn it off.
- I can't figure out how to manually force it to chirp (what I want to do when events happen in my house).

It seems a lot this functionality works with SmartThings - but I don't want a cloud Z Wave devic. My internet is very stable, but the idea of moving my light control to something that relies on a cloud seems less than ideal after having such a stable appliance with Engen.

I may return it if I can't get it to work with Engen.  I thought about getting SmartThings just for this one and leaving the "critical" items like lights on Engen, but that seems rather complicated just for a doorbell.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 03:11:07 pm »

I hate to ask, but did you try the Aeon site for instructions?

The Windows version of Engen lets you open a terminal and talk directly to devices. 

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 04:45:41 pm »

I hate to ask, but did you try the Aeon site for instructions?

The Windows version of Engen lets you open a terminal and talk directly to devices.

Yeah, that's where I got one of those linked PDFs.

I'm willing to keep trying at this, I haven't totally given up yet. 

BradATIMA

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 07:12:51 pm »

In the device information page is a tab that lets you manually send parameters to the device; however, this requires knowing the parameter code and value to send, which you should be able to find in the device specification. Did you try this?

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 10:25:28 am »

In the device information page is a tab that lets you manually send parameters to the device; however, this requires knowing the parameter code and value to send, which you should be able to find in the device specification. Did you try this?

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to be sticking, or making any difference.  There are two versions of the spec document that I've found with different values for the parameters.  The second link (version 6) is the one from Aeotec's site, so I think that's probably the most relevant, but I've also tried some of the commands from the first link (version 8 ).

I've used the Configure page for other devices, but figuring out what to send wasn't as hard.  For example, my light switches have a 'night light' in them.  I send a configuration to parameter 3, size 1, value 2, and then the night light is disabled.  But this document is very hard to understand and I'm not sure I'm sending the values correctly. 

I've figured out that the doorbell that this shipped with is "Endpoint 3."  I think I need to send something to Endpoint 3, which I thought meant parameter 3.  I read the information on page 22/ 23, but that doesn't have anything about volume.  The volume is noted as being controlled by sending a "sound switch tone play set" command.

I'm at a bit of a loss because all of the other information online that makes sense show pretty pictures from SmartThings on how to change the volume :)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 01:04:20 pm »

I made a little bit of progress.  I can send set commands and hear a noticeable difference, but nothing about volume.

If I send in parameter 3, size 4, value: 0x02000002, when I click the doorbell button, it ding-dongs twice.  And if I set it to 0x02010002, it also ding-dongs twice, but faster.  This seems to correlate to the information on page 23.  But I still have no idea how to send information to a specific node.

I found this discussion:

https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28783#p223390

Those screenshots are from a 3rd party tool running on Windows, but I'm running Engen through an IdPi, so I can't use that tool to send z-wave commands.  Does the information in that thread look like something that Engen can do?

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 12:15:22 pm »

As an FYI, my return window on these from Amazon close on 1/31.  I will likely return them because I have had no success working with their documentation.  I'm keeping an eye on the Home Assistant updates with regards to z-wave.  When they update to use ozw 1.6, I'm hoping this becomes natively supported.  At that point, I may re-purchase these because I'd love to be able to tone a bell on certain events.
Pages: [1]   Go Up