INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Set up question  (Read 936 times)

Bengi010

• World Citizen
Set up question
« on: December 28, 2019, 03:52:23 pm »

I don’t exactly know what I’m looking for please excuse any confession. I’m wondering if jriver can be run directly on my smart tv from a server without a pc connected to the tv directly.
In the past I’ve had a server with all my media connected to a small pc at each tv in the house. That worked fine but I was just hoping that with all the smart features on today’s TVs I could skip the secondary pc and still use the jriver theater view interface I’m used to.  I have a new lg e8 oled tv I’d like to do this with if it’s possible.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Set up question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:25:00 pm »

Most newer TV's support DLNA or UPnP.  MC on a server can play to them across a network.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 04:35:58 pm »

Thanks Jim I’ll check that out
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 04:48:26 pm »

The link is old info unfortunately, LG don't seem to publish anything useful for the current range, however it does work with MC once you get the dlna server configured appropriately. I used http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra to work out what settings to use. This involves running the analyser so it finds the TV as a renderer and then getting it to suggest settings for you to use for whatever you're trying to play (music, video etc). I was getting a variety of unknown/bad format messages from the TV til I did this.

A feature like that built into MC as a helper/wizard would be extremely useful btw as most of this config is pretty obtuse. I setup a new Denon AVR recently and it has a setup wizard along those lines (i.e. asks you to plug something in, asks you if you can see the picture & sets various bits of config behind the scenes if you say yes).

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 05:25:39 pm »

I set this up as best I can figure. The tv can access my hard drive now. It seems to have nothing to do with JRiver.  It’s a passable solution for an occasional need but far from ideal. Navigation is rather torturous. I was hoping, though not hopeful, for something like an app along the lines of the ones that came installed for Netflix or amazon prime.
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 06:19:46 pm »

basic steps are:

- setup a DLNA server in MC via Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA Servers
- if you press the input select button on the LG remote then you should see your MC DLNA server under the "Content Share" section, click this and it should offer 2 options (Photo & Video or Music), from here you can navigate through your library
- go to MC and you should see the TV as a zone (will appear as the name in the tv menu Settings > Connection > TV Name), you can right click this and "Associate with DLNA Server" if necessary (this might only be required if you have >1 DLNA server in MC)

once the last bit is setup then you can use jremote (or other MC remote) or MC to play to the TV, this is much easier to navigate vs using the TV to drill through your library (which IME is extremely slow and flaky going but is using the app in the TV so requires nothing other than the TV remote to play something)

Pages: [1]   Go Up