INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schedules Direct / EPG123 EPG Questions  (Read 4691 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Schedules Direct / EPG123 EPG Questions
« on: January 02, 2020, 11:06:29 am »

This thread is meant for support of using Schedules Direct or EPG123 for your EPG.

Please start by reading the EPG topic here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123575.0.html

KeeterJ

• Recent member
Re: Schedules Direct / EPG123 EPG Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 03:50:35 pm »

I recently signed up with Schedules Direct as my guide data source.  I'm using EPG123 to do the download and generate an XMLTV format file.  I have told MC26 to import the data file once a day.   It's working fine and I appreciate MC's option to load external XMLTV data.

My question is, is there any advantage or disadvantage to using EPG123 for the download as opposed to using MC26's internal execution of mc2xml.exe and choosing one of the two Schedules Direct options (instead of the older MS legacy option)?  As far as I can tell the results are the same using either EPG123 or mc2xml.  Am I missing something useful?

I don't mind scheduling my own external XMLTV download step using either EPG123 or my own external run of mc2xml.  In fact I sort of like to decouple Media Center from the guide downloader so I can do a single daily download then propagate the data file to all 5 of my MC26 PC's.

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 07:59:17 pm »

Epg123 offers up to 21 days of guide data vs MCs 14 days I believe.  You also get the option of downloading channel logos or linking to web logos.  I noticed the downloaded logos fill the guide cell very nicely when combined with the center channel logos in MC.  Also epg123 downloads channel logos in dark and light colors which makes them much easier to see in theater view.  It also automateda the process of adding logos vs adding them all manually in jrmc.  These are just my experiences.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 08:20:24 pm »

Through EPG123, you also get episodes labelled with useful season and episode identification.

KeeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 11:09:24 pm »

Thank you both for your responses. 

Today I fiddled around with mc2xml.exe and now realize that the version that comes embedded in MC26 is an older version 1.4 that includes an option for Schedules Direct, but not the more complete Schedules Direct JSON option.  When I download the current version 1.6 and run it on my own I can chose the JSON version which reportedly has more complete season and episode data.  I have not yet verified that.

My conclusion at this point is that both EPG123 and mc2xml.exe 1.6 yield the same results that can be written out as an XMLTV file then imported into MC26.  However, as was pointed out above, EPG123 has some additional features.  I'll stick with that for now.

Now that it's working for me, I wish I had signed up with Schedules Direct a couple years ago.

bellbuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 06:45:47 pm »

I have been struggling to get EPG123 to work in MC.  I used it in Windows Media Center, it was easy to set up and I loved the enhanced data which included movie ratings.  It is not so easy to set up here.  I have spent a couple of days chasing ancient Wikkis and forum posts that talk about EPG set up but do not provide step by step instructions for those of us that are less than computer programmers.

Specifically, starting at the top, when I go the EPG123 website there are two downloads, epg123Setup_v1.3.5.0.zip (installation package) and epg123_v1.3.5.0.zip (portable package).  Which do I need, or do I need both? 

After unpacking and installing the Setup, I completed the EPG123 Configuration panel by entering my schedules direct credentials, selecting the appropriate channels and hitting "save and execute".  I checked "view log" and it appeared that one was there.  I now need to get MC to see it.  I tried to follow "USA TV setup" but it is five years old and all the images are missing.  The threads at the Green Button do not apply to MC, jumping around various forum threads got me to the screen where, after choosing XMLTV, I was at the "load program guide" page.  Here is where I always get stuck.   I have no idea whether I need to "run an executable" or not.  If I do need to, I do not know where to browse to or how to recognize it.  I want to "Load XMLTV results from this file" but browse brings up nothing and I do not know the name of the file I should be looking for anyway. 

I expect that I am not the only one doing this now with the demise of Microsoft data.  I am viewing this as an opportunity to get an EPG that is as vibrant as the one I had in WMC using EPG123 & SD.  In addition to accuracy, it had in depth descriptions with numerical movie ratings!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 07:33:16 pm »

In case you have not seen it, here is the wiki on EPG setup.

I myself have not used EPG123, so I am not entirely familiar with it.  I hope someone with direct knowledge will help.  Here I will just try answering your questions in a more general way.

Whether to choose "Run an executable" depends on how EPG123 works.  In any case you must fill in "Load XMLTV results from this file".  "This file" is a file produced by EPG123, in XMLTV format.  The file extension usually is "xml".   If EPG123 gives you an executable that you can run daily, to obtain an XMLTV file, you can choose to let MC run it on your behalf by choosing "Run an executable" option.  On the other hand, you may choose not to let MC do it on your behalf.  For example, you can let Windows Task Scheduler run EPG123 for you, and produce an output file (XMLTV file) each day.  Inside MC you only need to specify the location of this XMLTV file.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bellbuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 08:25:02 pm »

Yes, I saw that Wiki.  When it comes to where I get stuck, it is no help.
 I think that EPG123 created a file because after selecting the channels I clicked "Save and Execute".  There is a button to "view log" which I did, and it showed that there was one.  It does not give the location.  I looked in the EPG123 folder where set up placed it in "Local Disc (C:)>Program files(x86)>epg123"  and could not find any .xml files.   I do not know how to find the files anywhere else and so I cannot tell MC where to look

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 08:34:14 pm »

I took a quick look at the EPG123 site.  I can answer some of your questions, hopefully accurately.  Users who actually use EPG123, please correct me if I am wrong.

Specifically, starting at the top, when I go the EPG123 website there are two downloads, epg123Setup_v1.3.5.0.zip (installation package) and epg123_v1.3.5.0.zip (portable package).  Which do I need, or do I need both? 

You only need one package.  The first one is an installer.  When you run it, it will install the EPG123 program files for you.  I believe you ran it and did set up the program. 

The second package is an alternative way of installing the program.  It is not a single installer program.  Instead it contains all files it needs, in a folder.  You just copy that folder to any place on your computer.

After unpacking and installing the Setup, I completed the EPG123 Configuration panel by entering my schedules direct credentials, selecting the appropriate channels and hitting "save and execute".  I checked "view log" and it appeared that one was there.  I now need to get MC to see it.  I tried to follow "USA TV setup" but it is five years old and all the images are missing.  The threads at the Green Button do not apply to MC, jumping around various forum threads got me to the screen where, after choosing XMLTV, I was at the "load program guide" page.  Here is where I always get stuck.   I have no idea whether I need to "run an executable" or not.  If I do need to, I do not know where to browse to or how to recognize it.  I want to "Load XMLTV results from this file" but browse brings up nothing and I do not know the name of the file I should be looking for anyway. 

When you run EPG123 configuration, you should have checked the checkbox "Create XMLTV file" option.  This will create an XMLTV file in addition to the MXF file (which is used by Window Media Center).  JRiver Media Center can only use XMLTV file.

From what I see here: http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/finalstep/ I believe you should configure EPG123 to setup its own download schedule.  Notice that on that page, it says the output file is at C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\epg123.mxf.  I would expect that the XMLTV file would also be in the same folder, i.e. C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\epg123.xml.

So, go back to EPG123 configuration, and check "Create XMLTV file".  After you click "Save and Execute", you should go to the folder C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\ and see if you get a file named epg123.xml, or epg123.xmltv.  That would be the file you tell MC to load.

If my observation above is correct, in MC EPG setup you should not check "Run an executable to retrieve XMLTV data".  Just go to "Load XMLTV results from this file", and browse to the C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\ folder and choose the XMLTV file (perhaps epg123.xml).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jachin99

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 04:45:43 pm »

When I set this up, I had it as Yaobing describes.  You use EPG123 to create the xmltv file, and use MC to import the file.  You have to set MC to import the file on a schedule, similar to how you set EPG123 up to create the file.  If you want large channel logos then download the local files.  This also has the advantage of letting you change the channel logos to light themed logos that will contrast better with the dark background in theater view. 

KeeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 04:09:42 pm »

I don't know if bellbuoy got EPG123 working yet, but I thought I'd add a couple comments...

I started using EPG123 with MC26 a month ago and I'm very happy with it.  I've had the best results by installing it, then telling it to do a daily update on its own.  That means I don't tell MC26 to run the external executable program, I just tell it to read the XMLTV data from C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\epg123.xmltv.  I tell EPG123 to download at 6AM every day, then I tell MC26 to load the new XML data at 7AM.

I install the EPG123 program rather than running the portable version.  You can verify which version you have installed by running this from the command prompt in Win10:
  sigcheck -nobanner -q -a "C:\Program Files (x86)\epg123\epg123.exe"
  [Note added later:  Ooops.  I forgot not everybody has the sigcheck.exe program.  It's from the SysInternals web site.  Oh well, you don't strictly need it to run EPG123]

The EPG123 GUI is a bit weird at times.  My first problem was that I was excluding all my specified channels. 
I had to click on the little red light and change it to green to include my channels.

The first time you run it make sure you check the box to "Create XMLTV file".  Also, click the button to "Collect SD logos"

The EPG123 GUI gets a little confused about telling Windows when to schedule a daily download.  Carefully enter a schedule update time then hit the Create button.  It will create a Windows batch job to run everyday.  After that it just runs on its own.  However, the GUI does not display the schedule nicely.  Sometimes you have to clear it and create the schedule again.  To be certain I have a scheduled job I run the following from the command line:
  schtasks /query /tn epg123_update

The other thing you have to do is the first time you run the Schedules Direct XMLTV import into MC26 you have to match the TV station FCC call sign to the channel you want.  That's tedious but you only have to do it the first time

bellbuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 08:13:55 pm »

Thank you to the folks that have guided me to almost the finish.  I did get the Guide data to load after reading Yaobling's instructions.  Unfortunately, this success prompted me to make OTA recordings, now that I could, but trying to view these recordings makes MC crash when, at the end of the recording,  I click the square box (next to pause) to close the viewer.  For quite some time I have been using MC to view all my recordings that I have been making in the HDHomerun DVR, and then JR works flawlessly, without crashing when I close a recording. 

I got JRiver Media Center version 21 several years ago to replace Windows Media Center because my computers had become Win 10.  I upgraded yearly until now.  Presently I use MC (25) for all my Audio needs and for viewing all my video.  I need Closed Captions and these are absolutely the best.  I really want to get the DVR to work properly, so getting that done will become my new focus.  Now that I have an EPG I will be able to again try to figure out why recordings come out perfectly on the HDHomerun DVR, but are blocky and break up (and crash the program) when recorded in JR.  I have discussed this with the tech folks at Silicondust, and they suggested that there could be a conflict with their DVR program.  Uninstalling it from my NAS broke all television recording for several days and I had direct orders to get it fixed, which is the reason for the delay in reporting back on EPG123 progress.   

On a high note, EPG123 is just as good as I remember it from when I installed it into WMC.  I am an old movie buff.  The movie descriptions from 123 in WMC were far superior to the normal ROVI data.  Even in MC, comparing an old movie description obtained from Schedules Direct  using the embedded mc2xml in MC yields about half the information that comes from the SAME Schedules Direct source using EPG123.  The only thing missing is the movie rating, which was present in WMC.  From what I understand Schedules Direct uses Gracenote data, which is also used by HDHomerun DVR, which does have movie ratings.  I intend to mention this to Gary to see if we can get it included at the end of the description. 

I will try recordings again with HDHomerun isolated from any contact with MC and see if I find joy.

Thank you,

Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 07:34:15 am »

... this success prompted me to make OTA recordings, now that I could, but trying to view these recordings makes MC crash when, at the end of the recording,  I click the square box (next to pause) to close the viewer.  For quite some time I have been using MC to view all my recordings that I have been making in the HDHomerun DVR, and then JR works flawlessly, without crashing when I close a recording. 
Could you start a separate thread on just this problem?   "Crash on Stop".

Make sure you have the latest build of MC26 from the top of the MC26 board.

Is it possible you're still recording when it happens?

JTV or TS files?

More details might help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up