INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library View Request Artist, Album, new line  (Read 1287 times)

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
Library View Request Artist, Album, new line
« on: January 02, 2020, 12:22:28 pm »

Hallo and Happy New Year.
Some time back, I posted a request for a particular type of view. That was in MC23. It took me some time to proceed with sorting out my storage and setup new drive in media PC specifically for being JRiver MC server for the rest of the network and I'm now getting to grips with it. I bumped the post today and a helpful forum member, mattlovell (would also like this view), suggested to repost in the correct forum. So here it is.
View I would like, which is how WMP does it and can be summarised as Artist, Album and a new line for next artist, looks like:

The older post is here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=115023.new;topicseen#new
I've tried looking at the custom View and can't see how / if it's possible. The solution would be much appreciated by at least 2 users! Cheers.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library View Request Artist, Album, new line
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 07:37:55 pm »

I'd also like to see a view like this - though not limited to artists.
I'd probably use this for decade with movies, and by week for other videos, for example.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 11:30:15 pm »

I've tried looking at the custom View and can't see how / if it's possible. The solution would be much appreciated by at least 2 users! Cheers.
It's not currently possible. Your request to developers is:
"Please allow us to apply grouping to a list when it is viewed as album thumbnails."

I'd probably use this for decade with movies, and by week for other videos, for example.
Movies grouped by decade is possible now...
Create a new library field, I called mine Date (Decades), using the following expression...
formatrange([date (year)],10)
and then group your movie list by this new field....

-marko.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:06:28 pm »

Create a new library field, I called mine Date (Decades), using the following expression...
formatrange([date (year)],10)
and then group your movie list by this new field....

-marko.
Ah, I suppose it depends on the view.
Some view types don't have the "group by" options available, and I guess that's what I was looking at.

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 02:18:14 pm »

"Please allow us to apply grouping to a list when it is viewed as album thumbnails."
-marko.
Thank you for your clarification, marko. I've looked for a specific developer request thread but couldn't see one. Will JimH & team pick it up from here or do I need to post somewhere else? I note there is a Third Party Plug-ins subforum.

Thanks, Mike

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:26:46 am »

I think such grouping could be useful outside of the Artist view...

For instance, in the Recent Albums view, it might be nice to group recently-imported (or recently-acquired, for those who import into MC as soon as they purchase a download or get a CD) by month or year, displaying the full album covers to provide a nice (still visual) count in each grouping.  Such a view might help one assess how out of control the music acquiring habit is.  ;D

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 11:25:42 am »

Thank you for your clarification, marko. I've looked for a specific developer request thread but couldn't see one. Will JimH & team pick it up from here or do I need to post somewhere else? I note there is a Third Party Plug-ins subforum.

Thanks, Mike
There is no dedicated thread, other than the "quick and simple" thread, where the requested change needs to take less than an hour of dev time. That has also gotten many pages deep, and buried somewhere in the MC25 forum. Jim may well start a new thread in the MC26 board soon.

Other than that, rest assured that the dev team will have seen this discussion. Whether or not they pick it up and run with it depends on many influencers, many of which none of us are aware of.

One thing I would say, is that this might not be as simple as it seems to us as users, because MC's library is, at its core, file (or if you like, track) based, not album based. One of the team will contribute here if it's something they can achieve quickly.

-marko

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 01:14:48 pm »

Jim may well start a new thread in the MC26 board soon.
-marko
You're right, marko, I found it and posted the request there. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122571.msg856548.html#msg856548
Hopefully it will either be easy or lots of users would also like it. Hopefully both :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up