INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP! My TV doesn't show up on MC26 as a DLNA Device!  (Read 2440 times)

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
HELP! My TV doesn't show up on MC26 as a DLNA Device!
« on: January 03, 2020, 04:52:49 pm »

I paid $59.99 US for JRiver MC25 and included the upgrade to MC26.

Since I bought it:

1. The DLNA only works on my receiver, but my SONY XBR65-X900E DLNA TV doesn't show up in my devices.
So 50% of what I wanted to use it for can't be used.
Everything is wired with ethernet into my router. I use 1 laptop as library server, synced to another laptop, a YAMAHA receiver and the SONY TV that doesn't show up.
2. It crashes usually 2-3 times a day and will stop tracks and sometimes play others on it's own though the receiver.
Just changing tracks sometimes causes it to crash.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 05:09:58 pm »

You have an MC26 license for Windows.

What is the full version of MC you have installed?

26.0.14 is here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123399.0.html

Your DLNA device should show up in the lower part of Playing Now.  It may take a few minutes.

Please read this carefully:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: DLNA Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 05:26:15 pm »

You have an MC26 license for Windows.

What is the full version of MC you have installed?

26.0.14 is here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123399.0.html

"Your DLNA device should show up in the lower part of Playing Now.  It may take a few minutes."

Please read this carefully:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

I just upgraded to 26.0.14.

You said "Your DLNA device should show up in the lower part of Playing Now.  It may take a few minutes."

In my case it's been over a month I've been waiting for my TV to show up.
How long should I wait?
The instructions on how to add it changed nothing.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: HELP! My TV doesn't show up on MC26 as a DLNA Device!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 06:09:40 pm »

Download the DMRA from my sig; run the tests and please report if it finds your TV.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 06:46:43 pm »

Open Playing Now.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 08:00:55 pm »

Thanks for that.
I downloaded, unzipped and ran program.
Where do I look on it for TV?

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 08:07:49 pm »

Open Playing Now.

I've had playing now open since I got the program.
My TV is not listed there.
That's why I'm asking for help here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 09:22:33 pm »

Try Andrew's advice above.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 09:36:03 pm »

Where do I look on it for TV?

You will have to wait for it to look for a Renderer. It will probably fail to find your TV so cancel out of the dialogue when it does.
Then tick the box "Use Windows Discovery", in the top right corner. See attached image.
Then click the "Select a Media Renderer", in the top right corner.
Then select the Sony TV and click "Select" in the popup dialogue window.

You can then run the tests proposed, or Skip the list offered to get a basic report. Note that even testing FLAC files against my Sony TV fails if I select additional FLAC tests, with "SetNExtAVTransportURI" messages, even though it is capable of playing FLAC files. I think that is a Sony issue. I haven't tried to get to the bottom of it, as the TV will play my files. THE DMRA report shows that "SetNExtAVTransportURI (gapless play)" is supported.

After you click Skip the DMRA will display a report on the Renderer Information tab.

BTW, do you have an Android phone? If so, try this little test:

Find BubbleUPnP on the Google Play Store, install it on your phone, and open it.
Wait a couple of minutes and refresh the Playing Now view on your MC Server.
    Does BubbleUPnP show up?
    Does your Sony TV show up as well now?

In BubbleUPnP, select your TV as the Renderer. Make sure to select the DLNA Renderer on the TV, not the Chromecast Renderer, which has an icon that looks like a key.
Optional: Open the three-dot menu next to the TV in the Renderer selection dialogue and select the "Info" item. Look at what BubbleUPnP thinks your TV will play. (Note that Gapless will probably be shown as "potentially supported".)
In BubbleUPnP, select your MC Server as the Library to use, then select a FLAC 16/44.1 track to play, as your TV can play those. You could also just play a suitable track that is stored locally on your phone, if you have one.
In BubbleUPnP, Play the FLAC track. It should play on your TV. If you used the MC Server as the BubbleUPnP library, and don't have the DLNA Server in MC set to play audio in "Original" format, you may see a message. Adjust the DLNA settings in your MC Server.

After the track finishes playing, close BubbleUPnP.
Refresh Playing Now in the MC Server. Does your TV show up now, if it didn't before?

Why do all this?
I used to have trouble getting my Sony TV to show up in MC. It was very inconsistent. I tried lots of stuff to fix this and found that running another DLNA App and connecting to the TV via DLNA made the TV visible to MC. At some stage that fixed whatever problem was going on with the Sony TV, and now it appears in MC when expected. My TV, a Sony KD-65X9300D, is the Australian version of the US Sony XBR65-X930D, which is very similar to your Sony XBR65-X900E.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 10:08:47 pm »

You're full on information.
I selected use windows discovery and it found my 2 laptops and YAMAHA receiver, but not the TV.
You said "Then select the Sony TV and click "Select" in the popup dialogue window" which is impossible.
Since my network is all wired, I don't know what using my phone will do, since it's not connected.
Any desktop software that would fix this?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 10:36:52 pm »

If both the DMRA and MC are unable to find the TV as a renderer, then there are three likely causes:

a) the TV is not a renderer, or
b) the TV is not on the same IP network (or subnet) as the other devices, or
c) there is something like a firewall or av software actively blocking access the TV

In any case, this is not an MC issue..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 11:23:45 pm »

The TV is DLNA. When I first got MC25 it showed up and worked.
After MC26 upgrade I haven't seen it anymore under playing now.
It is wired into the same router as the other 3 devices that show up.
The TV shows up under network devices under This PC settings.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 11:41:31 pm »

I'm playing around with my computers network, sharing and security settings, as well as the TV's settings.
I'm hoping something there is messing things up because the laptop is seeing it, but MC26 is not. Strange and annoying.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 01:01:55 am »

.. the laptop is seeing it, but MC26 is not.

Can you be more specific?

- What is the laptop OS?
- What app on the laptop is “seeing” the TV?
- What does this app actually “see”?
- Is MC running on this same laptop or on another PC?
- If the latter then what OS is the other PC?
- On which machine did you run the DMRA?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 07:28:26 am »

If one machine works and the other doesn't, then a firewall may be blocking access.  Open 52100 to 52200.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 02:40:45 pm »

I selected use windows discovery and it found my 2 laptops and YAMAHA receiver, but not the TV.

Then the problem is probably a firewall, as the others are suggesting. The DMRA always finds my Sony TV once I tick the "Use Windows Discovery" box.

Since my network is all wired, I don't know what using my phone will do, since it's not connected.

As long as your phone is connected to Wi-Fi on your home network, and is getting its IP Address from the same DHCP server on your Router, then it is connected. It doesn't matter that it is wireless rather than wired.

Any desktop software that would fix this?

I don't know. I haven't had any need to look or test anything other than Apps on my phone. I'm sure there are Windows Apps out there that will play to a DLNA Renderer, and if you find one that can see the TV, and can play media files, then that would indicate the problem is possibly at the MC end, and not the TV end.

As the TV was visible to MC25, but now isn't to MC26, your TV networking is probably set up correctly. But do check that the TV is getting its IP Address using DHCP from your router, and make sure the IP Address is on the same subnet as the other devices. Don't use a Static IP Address in the TV setup.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 10:09:51 pm »

After I played around with a bunch of settings on my laptop last night, the TV finally showed up.
The Zone ID, index and device address are all 1 digit less than my receiver.
I assumed I had solved this annoying issue, but this morning when I booted up, it was gone again and has been all day.
I'm running 2 windows 10 laptops with MC26.
1 is library server.
2 syncs with 1 to keep library the same.
I can control each one with the other and control the YAMAHA receiver.
They are all wired into my router with ethernet, as is the TV.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 10:24:55 pm »

Should my domain network and private network firewall be on or off?
I live alone and am the only one using my devices.
Wi-fi is turned off on my router, it's wired only to the 4 devices.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 12:02:04 am »

2 syncs with 1 to keep library the same.

Please explain.
1. I assume you are not using the MC Client/Server functionality, based on the wording of that statement and your previous threads. Correct?
2. Are you using the MC "Sync Library" (i.e. "File > Library > Sync Library") functionality to sync two Libraries and all files between the two PCs?

3. If the above doesn't make sense, answer this: Are you able to play from your MC Library on Laptop 2 without Laptop 1 being turned on?

4. If the answer to 3. above is yes, in doing your upgrade from MC25 to MC26, or at any other time, have you made a Library Backup on Laptop 1 and Restored it to Laptop 2 with settings at any time?
5. If the answer to 3. above is yes, on which laptop did the TV show up last night, and was the other laptop powered off (or asleep) at the time it worked?

Should my domain network and private network firewall be on or off?

If your laptops have access to the internet, you should leave both firewalls turned on. If they are blocking some connections that they should not be then they just need to have settings adjusted. The network connection on both laptop, as shown in the Windows 10 "Settings > Network & Internet > Status" dialogue, should be Private connections, not Public.

I'm assuming that you are using Windows Defender Firewall that comes with Windows Security in Windows 10. You won't actually have a connection to a Domain in your installation, so the Domain Firewall has nothing to do. But it should be on anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up