INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC25 playback and remote library management  (Read 754 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
MC25 playback and remote library management
« on: January 06, 2020, 05:38:53 am »

I know that there has been a long list on remote library management. My problem and thus request is as follows:

1. My music is a NAS.

2. JR MC 25 is on a laptop and laptop hosts the library (management).

3. JR playback is done on laptop with external DAC.

4. I do not use a NUC-like solution nor intend to use a NUC (yet).

I take this laptop with me all the time. How can I access my files remotely and use JRiver (including my libraries) for playback (with portable DAC) attached to laptop. The Synology NAS has remote-access enabled.

I am looking for a Plex-like solution (Plex-player on laptop can access remote files. However, Plex has a server version for NAS. JRiver do not do anything on NAS. BTW Roon has NAS version!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC25 playback and remote library management
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 06:55:57 am »

The wiki has a topic called Remote Access.  It explains the basics about access from the Internet.

A NAS is a computer, as well, though people seem to treat them differently.

Unless you're trying to connect to MC running inside your home (on and Id or PC or Mac), the problem doesn't really involve MC.

One way to do what you want is to put a small, low-power computer of any kind in front of the NAS, import your files into MC from the NAS, then access that machine from the Internet.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 12:50:17 pm »

The wiki has a topic called Remote Access.  It explains the basics about access from the Internet.

A NAS is a computer, as well, though people seem to treat them differently.

Unless you're trying to connect to MC running inside your home (on and Id or PC or Mac), the problem doesn't really involve MC.

One way to do what you want is to put a small, low-power computer of any kind in front of the NAS, import your files into MC from the NAS, then access that machine from the Internet.

Thanks for the answer. But your solution involves a sort of NUC solution which I try to avoid (may have to give, but in that case it should also be used for video). On a related note, the Synology NAS which holds the music and video files runs two UPNP servers, i.e. Asset and Plex Server. On an intranet JRiver can use these UPNP servers as input libraries. Is there any possibility to have JRiver directly remotely access these UPNP servers. Plex does it. Any suggestion? This would also be another solution.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 01:11:05 pm »

If they work locally, they will work over the Internet IF you set up port forwarding. 

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 04:15:57 am »

How can JRiver discover UPNP servers when MC is outside the LAN. Within a LAN UPNP servers are automatically flashed to MC and are visible in JRiver and can be converted in a MC Library. How does this work when MC outside the LAN. I am not aware how you can add a remote UPNP server manually to JR MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 07:20:22 am »

Use the Access Key.
Pages: [1]   Go Up