INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicates visible at DLNA client  (Read 1682 times)

mike_power

• Recent member
Duplicates visible at DLNA client
« on: January 08, 2020, 06:03:50 pm »

Dear Forum,
Is there a way to tell JRiver not to display duplicates when looking at JRiver records within the DLNA client??

Kind Regards,
Michael Power.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Duplicates visible at DLNA client
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:37:02 am »

Dear Forum,
Is there a way to tell JRiver not to display duplicates when looking at JRiver records within the DLNA client??

Kind Regards,
Michael Power.
Can you give an example of what you are seeing?

mike_power

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:52:43 pm »

Hi Bob,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you as I am a new user of JRiver and this forum and did not receive any notification you had replied.  I believe I am setup now to get notices automatically when I receive replies.
I've attached to this message an photo of a sample of what I see in my Android tablet when searching for a song using the J-Remote2 app.  I  draw my tracks from a multiple of directories and drives and this  means duplicates inevitably appear.  I'd like to filter out those duplicates so I can get to the track I want quickly and easily.  I hope you may have some suggestions on how to do this.
Many thanks,
Michael Power.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 08:19:16 pm »

First, we should clarify that this issue is related to Views in JRemote2, rather than on DLNA clients, although the solution is much the same, given that most View definition uses the same process, except for Theatre View.

Next, you should review the image I provided in this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124042.msg859146.html#msg859146

From that thread, I believe that you selected the first solution I suggested in this post, which uses two category levels to get the Grouping and Sorting that you wanted. So we will work with that View definition. Just to confirm what you have done, your View definitions should look like the first and second attached image.

Now if you look at the third attached image, you will see I have added a new rule to the Modify Results area. Basically I have Limited the results based on selecting one unique combination of [Artist], [Album], [Name], and [File Type], which should mean that you only see one file for each Track of each file type, MP3, FLAC, whatever.

The expression is: ~limit=-1,1,[Artist],[Album],[Name],[File Type]

I have highlighted it in green in the "Import / Export" dialogue. You can either paste the expression in there, or build it using the "Limit (Advanced)" rule as shown in the image.

I also added a Sort by Name into the View I built, but I don't think it was really necessary. The View worked either way. The expression then becomes: ~sort=[Name] ~limit=-1,1,[Artist],[Album],[Name],[File Type]
See the fourth image for details.

Note:
When you make changes to the JRemote2 View in MC they will not be immediately available in JRemote2. It is not enough to close JRemote2 and reopen it. You must close both JRemote2 and MC, and then restart MC, wait a little (~10 seconds) while the server starts, then open JRemote2.

If you don't do this you will be frustrated by the lack of changes and fixes in the JRemote2 View.

Possibly that is why the single Category level View didn't work for you, and does for me. I have both working with this new de-duplication requirement, but now the two Category level View actually works better. If you try both you will see why.
Hint: All tracks in a Group (i.e. A-C) get added to Playing Now when you select one Track to play, JRemote2 doesn't auto-scroll down to the playing track, and you don't get the fast scrolling functionality in Playing Now.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mike_power

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 11:16:42 pm »

Thanks Roderick again for another very detailed response.  I am sorry for the delay in replying to you as I have had some difficulty getting this to work and have been busy trying different purmetations to try and get it to work.  I had been looking at search results in JRemote2 [on my tablet] within the category "Name w Sort" but evidently I needed to be doing this in the 2nd category "Name w 2nd Category" because here it seems to work.  I should have realised that where you put the limiter is where you need to view the results in JRemote2. Only apparent problem now is there is an second step now to get to the song you want as it is grouping listings with the same song name into a single group which you have to drill into to get to your listings of de-duplicated songs. It's still a big improvement though.  Thanks. 
I just wanted to revisit with you also the 2nd part of my question to you which was whether it is possible to get file type to be visible in the list of search results in JRemote2.  I prefer to listen to my .wav lossless format songs and would like to be able to identify these from the search listing and go to them quickly.  At the moment JRemote2 returns in each search result:-
1/ Song Name
2/ Album Name
3/Artist Name
You don't know the file type until you have launched the song and that's really frustrating.   I suspect development will be needed for this but I thought I should double check with you the status???
Many thanks again,
Michael Power.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 01:24:47 am »

I have had some difficulty getting this to work and have been busy trying different purmetations to try and get it to work.

If you have been having difficulty, go back over my posts carefully and try to understand them better. We may have a terminology issue, as is often the case in describing detailed technical solutions.

For a start:
I had been looking at search results in JRemote2 [on my tablet] within the category "Name w Sort" but evidently I needed to be doing this in the 2nd category "Name w 2nd Category" because here it seems to work.

The "Name w Sort" and "Name w 2nd Category" in my posts above are View names, not categories.

In the "Name w 2nd Category" View, the two categories are "Name", and "Name". The first Name category groups all files together in groups of three, (Well, "Others", "0-9", and then groups of three letters, "A-C", D-F" etc.) The second Name category sorts the files by the field [Name]. The limitation to show only one of each Track and File Type combination is applied in the "Set rules for file display" dialogue.

In the "Name w Sort" View there is only one category, "Name". It groups all files together in groups of three, and then the sort back into [Name] sequence is done in the "Set rules for file display" dialogue.

So to be clear, I built two different Views, both of which meet your requirements to some degree.

As I said back in the other thread:
I prefer the 2nd option, as I like the display better and a selected track starts playing immediately, rather than requiring one more tap.
Where the second option was the "Name w Sort" View.

However, when your limitation of only showing one version of each file type for each track is applied, that version doesn't work so well, as:
Hint: All tracks in a Group (i.e. A-C) get added to Playing Now when you select one Track to play, JRemote2 doesn't auto-scroll down to the playing track, and you don't get the fast scrolling functionality in Playing Now.

I should have realised that where you put the limiter is where you need to view the results in JRemote2.

Yep. That's why I post images with highlights. They show where things go, and how to get to the functionality. Follow the highlights.

Only apparent problem now is there is an second step now to get to the song you want as it is grouping listings with the same song name into a single group which you have to drill into to get to your listings of de-duplicated songs. It's still a big improvement though.

Yep. But the Grouping works, and when you tap a Track then tap the Play icon, the Track will play. If you tap and hold a Track you can queue it up to play next, or append it to Playing Now. So that works well.

When you tap a Track in the "Name w Sort" View all Tracks in the group (i.e. A-C) are added to Playing Now and the selected Track starts playing. It is hard to find the current Track that is playing in the Playing Now list, as all Tracks in the group are there, and the Track you are playing will be somewhere down the list.

So, some compromise is required. Currently, the "Name w 2nd Category" View works best, I think.

Now, as I have said before, I have both View versions working just fine. But as they behave differently, I have described both. You should get both working and decide which you want to use. I don't know why you haven't been able to get the "Name w Sort" View working. Maybe go back to the other thread, and look at the second and third images attached to this post. They show all that is required to get the "Name w Sort" View working.

I just wanted to revisit with you also the 2nd part of my question to you which was whether it is possible to get file type to be visible in the list of search results in JRemote2.

I realised I hadn't addressed that issue, and came back to have a look at whether I could get something to work. You should know it is highly unlikely that JRemote2 will be modified to display file type in the way you want.

Not many people keep all their duplicates, and if they do, they will most often use the MC "Stack" functionality to stack files together, so that if a user tries to play a Track, the file at the top of the Stack is always played. So in your case you would put you WAV files at the top of the Stack, and they would always be played. But you said somewhere that sometimes you wanted to play MP3s, which means you want to make a choice at play time, and Stacks don't make that easy, or even possible in JRemote2. Hence, I pursued this solution. You can research the Stack functionality in the Wiki and Forum if you wish. Lots of info around. I haven't looked at using Stacks with JRemote2. I'm not going there at the moment.

So, I'm going to post this and see if I can come up with a solution to show file types in your Views. I'll post if I find a solution... or don't.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 03:43:18 am »

Here you go. All you need to do is replace the second Category in the "Name w 2nd Category" View, as per the attached image. The expression used is: [Name, 1]-[File Type, 1]
I haven't tried modifying the other View.

I'm have attached some image of what JRemote2 (using the Dark theme) looks like on my phone, just so that we are on the same page. I've added some coloured notations as well.

The file type is appended to the end of the Track name in this View. If you have three versions of a Track, in three different file types, then the View will show three Tracks listed, as per the fifth image. I converted some FLAC files to MP3 files and imported them to test this, so my tags for the files are identical. If your tags, specifically the [Artist], [Album], [Name] and [File Type] fields are different for you duplicates, you will probably see different results.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 03:47:41 am »

Some more screenshots.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 03:49:11 am »

As you are using a tablet, some landscape screenshots. No doubt you will see more than my phone can show.

That's all.

mike_power

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 10:28:39 pm »

Roderick,
We are on the same page.  My results match your screen shots. Your efforts are really quite extraordinary and I could not have done this without your instructions.  My thanks once again.  I will be honest though.  I am able to follow your detailed directions but don't understand the logic deeply enough to apply myself to other scenarios.
At this stage I would only ask the CEO or developer [hopefully you are seeing this post] to consider enhancing the customised views function to make it easier to specify in JRiver the fields/information which appear in the view at the Jremote2 client level.  In my tests I wasn't able to reliably do this and I can only assume it is an under developed area of the program. I understand this may not be a development priority but from my perspective it is absolutely foundational.
Many thanks, Michael Power.
Pages: [1]   Go Up