INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC stop playing music on its own  (Read 2197 times)

PhDSM

• World Citizen
MC stop playing music on its own
« on: January 10, 2020, 10:11:41 am »

Hello,

I using MC with server and files on a Windows 10 PC,  playing either on HDMI or via 3 DLNA renderers ( Raspberries with upmpcli)
Since mid august (on MC25 first and then on MC26) when playing playlist or album on DNLA renderers it sometimes stops or pauses without any reason.
It took me quite long to investigate and understand what was going on (Is it the raspberry , the gizmo remote, the network...) to finally be able to reproduce it.

In fact MC stop playing music after 2 or 3 tracks when album is a SACD or High Res album. It never occurs with MP3 or basic Flac, only  SACD or 96k records.

It seems that the conversion of format causing the trouble
Any ideas about that or things to investigate further ?
Regards

Phil

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC stop playing music on its own
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 10:53:57 am »

Hello,

I using MC with server and files on a Windows 10 PC,  playing either on HDMI or via 3 DLNA renderers ( Raspberries with upmpcli)
Since mid august (on MC25 first and then on MC26) when playing playlist or album on DNLA renderers it sometimes stops or pauses without any reason.
It took me quite long to investigate and understand what was going on (Is it the raspberry , the gizmo remote, the network...) to finally be able to reproduce it.

In fact MC stop playing music after 2 or 3 tracks when album is a SACD or High Res album. It never occurs with MP3 or basic Flac, only  SACD or 96k records.

It seems that the conversion of format causing the trouble
Any ideas about that or things to investigate further ?
Regards

Phil
I'd like to verify that you see this happen even when playing back on the Windows 10 PC over HDMI (not using DLNA at all)?

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:42:49 am »

It doesnt happen when I play over DLNA. All format are correctly played.
Only when playing thru DLNA.
If the list contains Mp3 or flac 44k no problem.
If list contains SACD, FLAC 96,  it stops  in the middle of the 2nd track for SACD or further tracks for Flac96
If I convert SACD files to 44.1k format, it plays completely
Regards

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:47:45 am »

It doesnt happen when I play over DLNA.

Which is it? :)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:49:33 am »

OOps sorry

It doesnt happen when I play over HDMI. All formats are correctly played.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 03:02:19 pm »

OOps sorry

It doesnt happen when I play over HDMI. All formats are correctly played.

What are the settings of your MC DLNA server?
What formats can your renderer play?

You can specify which formats should be converted in the advanced settings for the DLNA server in MC when you choose convert when necessary.

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 04:00:15 am »

I have done more investigations :

the DLNA server I use,  is configured as "specific out format"> MP3 High Bandwith
I use it with a Raspbeery Pi DLNA renderer.
If I play a SACD ISO it play well the 1rst track of the list and stop somewhere in the second track
If during the play of the track I do position changes manualy then the next one is played and it stops during the one after next. So If i do some position change every 2 tracks it plays the whole list.

I have another DNLA server configured as "specific out format" > PCM24-Bits
that I configured to play on Hifi device, and which works well

I noticed that If a use this DNLA server (24bits) on the RaspBerry Pi DNLA renderer  the SACD plays well

So the problem seems to be linked with the "MP3 High Bandwith" DLNA server which stopped at the 2nd track of a SACD play list

Does that help

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 07:29:28 am »

Try setting the server to convert to WAV or PCM.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 12:25:14 pm »

I have done more investigations :

the DLNA server I use,  is configured as "specific out format"> MP3 High Bandwith
I use it with a Raspbeery Pi DLNA renderer.
If I play a SACD ISO it play well the 1rst track of the list and stop somewhere in the second track
If during the play of the track I do position changes manualy then the next one is played and it stops during the one after next. So If i do some position change every 2 tracks it plays the whole list.

I have another DNLA server configured as "specific out format" > PCM24-Bits
that I configured to play on Hifi device, and which works well

I noticed that If a use this DNLA server (24bits) on the RaspBerry Pi DNLA renderer  the SACD plays well

So the problem seems to be linked with the "MP3 High Bandwith" DLNA server which stopped at the 2nd track of a SACD play list

Does that help
Interesting.
You might also try under the server advanced options enabling the bitrate field.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 06:03:56 pm »

That sounds to me like the DLNA Renderer is losing connection to the DLNA Server, but if the DLNA Controller talks to the Renderer, which it does when doing a position change, then the Renderer maintains its connection and keeps asking for files from the Server.

That sounds like an issue with upmpcli on the Raspberry Pi DLNA Renderer.

This would be further evidence:
If the list contains Mp3 or flac 44k no problem.
If list contains SACD, FLAC 96,  it stops  in the middle of the 2nd track for SACD or further tracks for Flac96
If I convert SACD files to 44.1k format, it plays completely

Maybe try changing the "DLNA Controller Options" for the DLNA Server you use with the Raspberry Pi DLNA Renderer.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 02:16:28 pm »

Something else to try just to test, for the DLNA renderer zone in MC that you are playing to, right-click on the zone and under DLNA Controller Options, disable SetNext support.
You'll lose gapless playback (if you were using it) but the results could be informative.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 12:20:48 am »

Bob, the OP says he encounters the problem when pushing/converting an SACD ISO to hi-res MP3. I don’t know details of how an ISO looks, but isn’t this one where the whole album is in one file, and MC has to break it into individual track files to push/convert?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 11:57:25 am »

Bob, the OP says he encounters the problem when pushing/converting an SACD ISO to hi-res MP3. I don’t know details of how an ISO looks, but isn’t this one where the whole album is in one file, and MC has to break it into individual track files to push/convert?
Yes that's true.
I'm wondering though if the SetNext logic is causing an issue.
Transcoding/decoding to both mp3 and wav is done inline on each track without waiting for the transcode/decode to finish so the issue shouldn't be with that. It's suspicious that the wav works and the mp3 is an issue.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 03:52:27 am »

Yes that's true.
I'm wondering though if the SetNext logic is causing an issue.
Transcoding/decoding to both mp3 and wav is done inline on each track without waiting for the transcode/decode to finish so the issue shouldn't be with that. It's suspicious that the wav works and the mp3 is an issue.

Perhaps a timing issue between MCs transcoding to cache, and when MC is sending SetNext: What url is it pushing? Perhaps it’s a url of a transcoded track that’s not all there yet?  Perhaps the renderer responds to the SetNext with a GET at a time when the MC transcoder thread is writing to, moving, or renaming from the cache file to the correct url?? Or something like that. (The Seek behaviour that the OP observed might be a clue to delaying such a clash..)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 02:45:52 pm »

Perhaps a timing issue between MCs transcoding to cache, and when MC is sending SetNext: What url is it pushing? Perhaps it’s a url of a transcoded track that’s not all there yet?  Perhaps the renderer responds to the SetNext with a GET at a time when the MC transcoder thread is writing to, moving, or renaming from the cache file to the correct url?? Or something like that. (The Seek behaviour that the OP observed might be a clue to delaying such a clash..)
It is a url of a file that's not all there yet but the content-length for what the file will be is correct.
When one seeks it restarts the conversion at that point and gives a new content length.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 06:14:46 pm »

It is a url of a file that's not all there yet but the content-length for what the file will be is correct.
When one seeks it restarts the conversion at that point and gives a new content length.

A half random thought re Content-Length: when transcoding to L16 or WAV if you have a duration then you can exactly calculate a Content-Length, whereas with MP3 you can’t — unless you are using MP3 CBR in some form..

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 01:14:58 pm »

A half random thought re Content-Length: when transcoding to L16 or WAV if you have a duration then you can exactly calculate a Content-Length, whereas with MP3 you can’t — unless you are using MP3 CBR in some form..
It is using CBR :)

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 06:19:36 am »

I did more tests.

In fact 96k/24 are ok,  only SACD cause problem, wheteher they are in 1 ISO file or in seprarate .dsf files.

I tried to disable SetNext support but it doesn't change anything

If I use DNLA server converting to PCM24-Bits  => every ok

If I use DNLA server converting to mp3 high  => I get the problem

If I use DNLA server converting to PCM16-Bits => I get the problem

regards

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 12:28:56 pm »

I did more tests.

In fact 96k/24 are ok,  only SACD cause problem, wheteher they are in 1 ISO file or in seprarate .dsf files.

I tried to disable SetNext support but it doesn't change anything

If I use DNLA server converting to PCM24-Bits  => every ok

If I use DNLA server converting to mp3 high  => I get the problem

If I use DNLA server converting to PCM16-Bits => I get the problem

regards
Is it possible the input file size is > 2gigs?

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 02:11:53 am »

About the size I have also the problem with separate .dsf files which are below 500M
iIt seems linked with the DSD format
Pages: [1]   Go Up