INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virtual drives aren't automatically deleted  (Read 717 times)

marcosreg

Virtual drives aren't automatically deleted
« on: January 13, 2020, 06:17:16 am »

Most of my video files are music concerts ISO.
After I play some concerts, the virtual drives created and displayed by Windows Explorer aren't automatically deleted, so after some played concerts, there aren't available drive letters.
I have to delete them manually periodically.
Any help?
Thanks

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Virtual drives aren't automatically deleted
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 07:49:24 am »

I'd suggest using a tool like Virtual Clone Drive, which creates a single drive with a fixed letter, instead of mounting ISOs via Windows Explorer which creates a new drive for every file.

marcosreg

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:58:38 am »

Dear RD James, I'm not mounting the ISO files, they are already stored in my NAS drive and JR creates a virtual drive for every ISO video file I play. I was expecting that after I stop playing the ISO video file, JR to unmount the virtual drive it created.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 05:46:12 am »

Dear RD Jones, I'm not mounting the ISO files, they are already stored in my NAS drive and JR creates a virtual drive for every ISO video file I play. I was expecting that after I stop playing the ISO video file, JR to unmount the virtual drive it created.
If you open an ISO file in Windows Explorer it automatically creates a new virtual drive and mounts the image to it.
It's not Media Center doing this. All MC does is open the ISO file in the default program, which happens to be Windows Explorer.
Using Virtual Clone Drive instead of Windows Explorer solves the problem, as it creates a single drive with a fixed letter that ISOs are mounted to, instead of creating a new drive for each one.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:52:56 pm »

As RD James noted MC isn't creating the virtual drives, Windows is. Try ejecting them when you are done with with them just as you would an actual drive. Virtual drives behave the same as actual drives. MC doesn't automatically eject actual discs when you stop them so there's no reason it should eject a virtual one.

If you switch to Virtual Clone Drive just set it to the default program for iso's in Windows and MC will use it. Alternatively you can force MC to use it by changing some settings in MC. I don't remember exactly off the top of my head but can find it for you if needed.

marcosreg

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 07:08:21 am »

Thank you RD James and sindromeofadown, I will try this way and will keep you informed.
My IT knowledge is superficial and I was sure MC was creating the virtual drives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up