INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC25, WDM Driver & REW  (Read 1372 times)

burnhamjs

• Recent member
MC25, WDM Driver & REW
« on: January 13, 2020, 12:53:35 pm »

I was looking for a may to route all windows sounds through Media Center, so I can route miscellaneous web/app based audio through Media Centers DSP. 

I see the setup here https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver and am going to give this a try tonight.  I have MC25 running on a windows 10 machine connected via HDMI to my AVR. 

I was also doing some testing using REW (Room Eq Wizard) this weekend and thought it would be nice if I could run the output sweep of REW through MC25's DSP so I can measure the results of the applied DSP filters.  Notional signal path would be REW sweep -> WDM Driver -> MC25 (DSP now applied) ->  AVR (via HDMI) -> Speakers -> UMIK-1 mic (usb) -> REW for presentation. 

Will this work? 

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC25, WDM Driver & REW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 01:56:28 pm »

Yes. Use the external sweep approach is best so save a measurement sweep with acoustic timing reference in rew then play this in jriver with rew set to wait for the timing reference

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 02:05:32 pm »

Yes. Use the external sweep approach is best so save a measurement sweep with acoustic timing reference in rew then play this in jriver with rew set to wait for the timing reference
okay.  So, you don't send the sweep directly from REW, rather save it to an audio file that you can play via jriver?  Is this just so that you can give is a timing reference?  If so, can't you set REW to provide a timing reference without the need of saving a file?  Just wondering why the need to save the off the audio file.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 04:25:52 pm »

okay.  So, you don't send the sweep directly from REW, rather save it to an audio file that you can play via jriver?  Is this just so that you can give is a timing reference?  If so, can't you set REW to provide a timing reference without the need of saving a file?  Just wondering why the need to save the off the audio file.
playing to WDM audio means output to the default audio device but using a UMIK-1 means (I think, I don't use one) using ASIO. You can't mix and match audio interfaces in REW hence the need to use an external sweep.

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:37:00 am »

playing to WDM audio means output to the default audio device but using a UMIK-1 means (I think, I don't use one) using ASIO. You can't mix and match audio interfaces in REW hence the need to use an external sweep.

Ahh, that was the part I wasn't considering.  Yes, I can choose Java drivers or ASIO drivers, but I have been using the ASIO drivers.  So, I'll generate a Measurement Sweep (wav) for each speaker and combo I want, the play that through JRiver and have REW taking a measurement and waiting for the timing chirp.

Still not sure how to setup REW to take measurement without it generating or playing the sweep.  I'll have to poke around REW to see if I can figure that out.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 10:30:04 am »

You only need to create one wav, you can use DSP to route the signal to whichever speaker you want to actually measure

If you tell rew to use an acoustic timing reference then it will wait for that signal before recording the sweep. Nothing else to do I think but post if you have issues

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 11:34:02 am »

You only need to create one wav, you can use DSP to route the signal to whichever speaker you want to actually measure

If you tell rew to use an acoustic timing reference then it will wait for that signal before recording the sweep. Nothing else to do I think but post if you have issues
Thank you.  Fairly new to JRiver and haven't played around in DSP much.  Where can I select the output channel within DSP?  Note the only time I went in to DSP when I noticed that "Dolby" was not displayed on my AVR.  I went into DSP and set output Encoding to Dolby (though reading the DSP - Output Format wiki I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do this.)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 04:42:47 pm »

Thank you.  Fairly new to JRiver and haven't played around in DSP much.  Where can I select the output channel within DSP?  Note the only time I went in to DSP when I noticed that "Dolby" was not displayed on my AVR.  I went into DSP and set output Encoding to Dolby (though reading the DSP - Output Format wiki I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do this.)
using https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Mixing

you do not want to output Dolby

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 06:23:02 am »

using https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Mixing
I read the wiki - looks like the way to select the channel I want is to "Mute" the one I don't want playing within DSP?  EDIT:  Beside "Mute" is a "Solo" checkbox.  If selected that's the only channel that will play.

you do not want to output Dolby
Without this selected I don't get the "Dolby" light on the AVR.  I assumed to get the proper signals for each channel I would want to see the "Dolby" light on the AVR.  Is this an incorrect assumption?  Do I not want the Dolby encoding output to the AVR for decoding?

Reading the wiki https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Surround_Sound it sounds like if I output in Dolby I skip any of the parametric equalization, which is not what I want.  Some of this is still black magic to me.... ;)  Just trying to learn more about JRiver/DSP and the proper settings.

EDIT:  Reading this wiki https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Connection_Type it sounds like I want the computer (JRiver?) to do the audio decoding.  "By allowing the computer to decode, you gain the ability to use the full range of audio processing offered by Media Center. This includes VideoClock, Room Correction, parametric equalization, normalization, and much more.".

So to try to wrap this up in my head.  JRiver does the decoding of the Dolby signal and breaks the audio into it's discrete channels so that JRiver/DSP can apply any selected audio processing.  Then JRiver passes the processed discrete channels to the AVR.  Since the AVR is receiving discrete channels vice an encoded signal (which the AVR would have to decode) the Dolby light doesn't illuminate.  Am I starting to understand this a little more?
Pages: [1]   Go Up