INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer restart after each update?  (Read 896 times)

sandrei

• Recent member
Computer restart after each update?
« on: January 16, 2020, 12:29:14 am »

I guess a new "feature" of MC26 is the need to restart the computer after each update. It was never required in the previous versions. Honestly I am not very pleased with this new "feature", I would rather give up on it if I can. Can we reverse please to the good old times when restart was not required? Or shall I go back to MC25 if I want that? But I guess no updates will be provided for MC25, right?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Computer restart after each update?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 03:33:22 am »

try saying no, then re-opening MC.  most often, it just finishes the update and opens without a restart actually being required.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:55:15 am »

My update did not require any restart. In fact none of MC updates ask me for restart ... ever. Very likely restart was pending from other updates (like antivirus or window update ... sometimes GPU driver needs restart too)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 06:26:17 am »

I guess a new "feature" of MC26 is the need to restart the computer after each update.
MC doesn't usually need a restart.  The only exception is if you make a change to the option for integrated shell commands (MC showing up in Windows Explorer).

sandrei

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:23:41 pm »

This was happening on Windows 7, and was clearly a request of restart from MC26, all my updates are on manual, including Windows. And besides that it is pretty difficult an update from another program to display a message saying something like "MC26 needs restart for the changes to take effect".
It was probably what Jim was mentioning in his message, although I did not changed any install options, unless the default install options were changed in the version I have installed (MC 26.0.18). Anyways, I will see what will happen at the next update.

sandrei

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 09:34:59 pm »

Yep, it happened again. I am posting a screen capture for the skeptical people that suspect anything else but MC the culprit.
It looks to me that the program is rather doing an install and not an upgrade. If I am trying to launch the program without restarting windows it says, nope, you need to restart.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 09:53:28 pm »

Did you configure Windows Defender, as recommended in a thread here?

Are you running any other antivirus software?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 10:08:12 pm »

I've seen that happen at least once, in MC25.

MC holds files open longer than it would seem necessary sometimes. I put the occurrence I saw down to MC still having some file open, and me doing a quick installation after doing lots of stuff, including tagging, playing tracks, and so on.

Basically, I just restarted when I saw it. If it is of concern to you, close MC before doing any update, and wait a little while so that MC and all its components close. Close Media Server if you have that running. Then you shouldn't need a restart.

Ferday's method may also work, but it could leave a file in an unknown state.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MikeO

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 07:23:33 am »

Have you maybe a stray v 25 running somewhere, it may be using dll’s that the install requires to copy, maybe server on Windows Startup ?

I have not seen this on my installs , I uninstalled 25 after the first 3 or so stable 26 builds
Pages: [1]   Go Up