INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom View - not satisfied with the result  (Read 632 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Custom View - not satisfied with the result
« on: January 16, 2020, 06:55:33 am »

G'day

I built a Custom View for my Classical collection and called it CLASSICAL (coz I wanted to be original). I defined by location rather than Genre, and the location is M:\1. MUSIC\6. CLASSICAL.

That means that the view has several unwanted steps before I get to the Artists, as shown in the attachment.

What I would like is for it to go from
♪ CLASSICAL
   © Bach, Johannes Sebastian

which would eliminate the unnecessary
M:
   1. MUSIC
      6. CLASSICAL
         All Locations

Can that be achieved?

Philippe Mtl

• Recent member
Re: Custom View - not satisfied with the result
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:23:09 am »

You may want to add a Rule to restrict the view to Filename (path) containing "CLASSICAL"

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 07:46:28 am »

Thanks for your reply Philippe.

I tried that (see attach) but it didn't change anything.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:26:35 am »

You seem to want to browse based on File structure (folder and filenames) rather than metadata.

Your first category in your view appears to be "Location".  Did you select "File Path" as your first category?  If so, you should be able to select the exact path you want, by using the browse button there in the File Path selector.  Just go to your view, choose Customize, then find Location and click Edit.

If instead you were to use Artist, or Conductor, or Composer, or something as your first category, then your tree would open directly to there and you would not see the file and folder names at all.  This is a more metadata centric way of looking at things and is the superior method in my opinion *most of the time*.

If you prefer folder and file names, more power to you.  Just letting you know there are other options too.

Brian.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 02:58:01 pm »

Thanks Brian. Actually, as I went off to sleep last night it came to me: just modify the current default "Artists" view with a new rule, following Philippe's tip (folder is or is not 6. CLASSICAL) and save them as new views. All I wanted for Classical is the Artists view limited to that, so it's all good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up