INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to play music in 18.04 jriver client in home Lan from jriver server  (Read 1152 times)

st1

• Recent member

I would like to get some consulting how to solve following use case:
- I have 2 pcs 18.04 lts  jriver mc26 clients connected to same home wifi network
- the main or first 18.04 client i7 NUC machine has the local 2T ssd storage and music files there for local mc26 installation and is supposed to share  that local music folder over wifi network to other mc26
- I do not have plan for separate NAS server that is always on
-  both 18.04 client machines are in same homenetwork subnet with assigned local ip addresses
- wifi network access speed is ok
- I would like to run the second  local 18.04  mc26 installation in my hobby room i5 pc and that it uses the main mc26 installation shared  music folder over network.
- I want user id and password protected https access to that music share folder on first mc26 installation machine.
- music files in share are 2ch or mch, but client 2 is 2ch tube system with a dac
- I will upgrade to 20.04 lts when it arrives

- Should I use NFS or Samba file share  ?
- or could I stream to that 2nd mc26 client from 1st mc26 installation?
- Will the  client2  mc26 installation need write access to the main mc26 installation shared music folder or just read only ?

Any hints appreciated -  folder share or streaming to client 2 installation to use ?

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

- or could I stream to that 2nd mc26 client from 1st mc26 installation?

This would probably make the most sence. If you share your folder and import it, you´ll end up with two seperate libraries with two seperate sets of playlists and settings and what not.

However, you won´t get around to have the one PC with the library running all the time, when you want to stream music.

On the PC in tools > media network. Check the "share this library" and set a username/password. If you have a firewall on that PC allow port 52199 to go threw it an you´re done.

st1

• Recent member
Re: how to play music in 18.04 jriver client in home Lan from jriver server
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 10:10:20 pm »

If you share your folder and import it, you´ll end up with two seperate libraries with two seperate sets of playlists and settings and what not.

Does that mean duplicate usage of big storage when two separate libraries ? I thought that all files are only at one place.  I thought that library data is just indexing data and does not take much hd  space.  I do not use playlists but just browsing the library  like old record box labels - the file  "icons"  - and then select what disc to play.

Most practical I have found is to be able to run the library view in (firefox) browser as jriver panel
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=115638.0

I tested to play to/via oppo 205 from main jriver installation pc  by using browser  panel view in network pc - that was really great - and now would need just a pc and dac to replace that oppo dac based solution because oppo is needed in HT.

So as conclusion I will try and make the second installation of mc to ubuntu pc and play from 1st  mc installation to second installation of mc like as simulated oppo solution and use sabaj d5 as external dac for that 2nd pc and use 2 pcs  balanced mono tube amps with sabaj.

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

Does that mean duplicate usage of big storage when two separate libraries ? I thought that all files are only at one place.  I thought that library data is just indexing data and does not take much hd  space.  I do not use playlists but just browsing the library  like old record box labels - the file  "icons"  - and then select what disc to play.

No, you don't duplicate your music files on storage that way. But you duplicate jriver libraries. Playlists is just one example, because I use it the most, I guess.

All I'm saying there is not really a point to setup a file share, it's inferior to just using jrivers built in media network capabilities, as you loose some of the benefits in the process of creating an actually more complicated setup, imo. Let the software you paid for do it's job.  ;)

st1

• Recent member
Re: how to play music in 18.04 jriver client in home Lan from jriver server
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:26:53 am »

There might be a better way to do this and in case so, please advice for me and others...

How to play music in jriver client from a remote server

Google found this:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=109522.0
there was link to: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tremote   
" Run Media Server on the server.
Configure Media Network on the server. It can generate an Access Key.
On the client, do File/Library/Library Manager and Add Library. Enter the Access Key on the client.
Now you've loaded the library of the server on the client. "

Tremote

JRiver server set-up:
- Confiure and run JRiver Media Server in home network
- Configure Media Network functionality on the server from Tools Option menu
- create the JRiver network Access Key for jriver clients  that will use the library from server

JRiver client set-up:
- Install JRiver to a client pc or tablet or...
- ensure that JRiver client and JRiver server are properly connnected to the network
- poor wifi connectivity might impact that voice is braking when client is playing from server over wlan
- go to JRiver MAIN MENU at the top of left corner of JRiver client application window and then
- open File / Library / Library Manager
- use command Add Library
- read the instructions given in the 'Add Library' window
- add name to the New Library
- activate usage of (x) Library Server
- give the access key or server url address where the remote JRiver server is in the network
- assign static ip to that JRiver server that it is fixed and found in the network if address approach used
- use access key in case no fixed address approach is used
- click ok
- Then the library of the server is loaded on the client and it can be used under the clientś Playing Now list of libraries

- set in main menu  tools/ options/ start-up/   ’last location’ to get the remote library loaded in start
- set in main menu  tools/ options/ Media Network/ Client Options
* Conversion don’t convert
* Encoder: PCM 24 bit
- set in main menu  tools/ options/ Audio/ DSP & output format…   all no change
- 2ch stereo, no mixing ….

I have Sabaj D5 USB dac connected to the ubuntu 18.04 LTS client pc and D5 plays well audio ”as it is” in source format.
Now music from SACD iso files in jriver server sound nice from the dac connected to the remotely connected jriver client.

Thanks for the new MC26 release!
Pages: [1]   Go Up