INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No multichannel sound on late 2012 MacMini Mojave  (Read 782 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
No multichannel sound on late 2012 MacMini Mojave
« on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:27 am »

I am sorry to have to bother you all again with this, it seems a recurrent problem, but I am unable to get multichannel audio output on my MacMini (running Mojave). My MacMini is connected to a Denon AVR receiver using HDMI.

I think the problem lies with MC (same problem on MC25) because when I play the same MC music using VLC Encoded Audio I get multichannel output.

After earlier posts about this I have now now set up Audio Devices on the Mac for Multichannel HDMI output with the Denon as the source and 8 channel 24 bit 44.1 kHz as the format.

I have tried the following settings in MR26 Audio:

--Built in Output [Core Audio] + Bitstreaming Yes (HDMI) > the result is that Audio Devices switches to the HDMI multichannel out put but produces no sound whatsoever

--(Default) [Core Audio] + Bitstreaming Yes (HDMI) > music plays but Audio Devices switches back to Built-in Output 2 channel

--HDMI [Core Audio] + Bitstreaming Yes (HDMI) > music plays but Audio Devices switches back to Built-in Output 2 channel

The moment I stop the music in these last two setups Audio Devices automatically switches back to HDMI multichannel output, so something in MC forces the 2 channel mode (with less than optimal sound).

Can anyone help?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No multichannel sound on late 2012 MacMini Mojave
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 10:15:40 am »

To start with, go into the Advanced audio options in MC and turn off the auto configure output settings on playback error and make sure the DSP studio output format option isn't enabled.

BTW I don't think you can do HDMI bitstreaming.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 04:04:32 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I made the suggested adjustments but it made no difference. What do you mean by saying you do not think HDMI bitstreaming is not possible? Why shouldn't it be, and if it isn't why is it offered?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 02:38:29 pm »

I think I got that mixed up with DSD and HDMI bitstreaming.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123761.0.html

What is the source file format, sample rate, depth, channel layout?
What happens of you turn off bitstreaming?

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 03:51:01 pm »

The files are flac files, usually 5.1 24-96, nothing dramatic ... all things that have worked before, at least under MC and Windows.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 07:45:57 am »

Check DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels

It's probably set to "2 channel".  Instead, set it to the real number of speakers you have in your system.

You might need to restart MC after you make this change in order for it to take effect (I can never remember).

Good luck,

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up