INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please make client machine upgrade easier  (Read 721 times)

dmitch77

• World Citizen
Please make client machine upgrade easier
« on: January 19, 2020, 12:08:21 pm »

Updating to MC26 leads me to ask for a feature request: Please consider making the upgrade path a bit smoother for machines which are client-only.

My configuration is: one Mac as MC server, two other Macs as clients. MC instances running on the clients only load the server's library. They never use a local library.

My problem is updating the clients. There is no way to save all current settings prior to an upgrade without loading a local library first. (You can't do a library backup when a remote library is loaded.) Things like window configurations, audio, etc. can only be backed up when you back up a library. And server connections aren't backed up at all.

So for each client machine, I have to do the following, every time I upgrade MC:

-- Switch to main (local) library.
-- Back up local library.
-- Install new MC.
-- Run new MC.
-- Turn off file import, for a which a timer is ominously counting down immediately on launch. I really don't want an import to start here.
-- Restore from previous backup.
-- Connect to remote (server) library.
-- Manually type in server's access code because that isn't carried forward in backup/restore (though, surprisingly, access credentials for the server *are* carried forward and I don't have to enter them).

JRiver folks, it would be really nice if MC did all (or even most) of that for me. It's a tedious set of steps I have to go through every time I update. I upgrade lots of software regularly, and this amount of manual intervention is really unusual.

Thanks for considering this.

All three Macs are running macOS Catalina. I just upgraded from recent MC25 to 26.0.18.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Please make client machine upgrade easier
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 10:12:17 am »

All good points, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up