INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synology DLNA Problem  (Read 2883 times)

sweegie

Synology DLNA Problem
« on: January 22, 2020, 03:11:21 pm »

Hi everyone,

I just completed my upgrade from MC24 to MC26, but seem now to have an issue loading the DLNA library from my Synology NAS. Up until now, this has been faultless, and still works correctly if I launch a session to it via MC24. On MC26 however I get an error, stating there was a problkem retrieving files from the DLNA server and to make sure the server supports the search function.

In the log, i get the following message:

0011047: 7012: General: CDLNADeviceServiceCaller::CallServiceFunction: DLNA function call failed or timeout! url = http://192.168.0.5:50001/ContentDirectory/control function = Search execution time = 18 ms of 60000 ms.

Has the DLNA interface changed in MC26? The library is still working perfectly using MC24.

Thanks,

Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Synology DLNA Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 03:16:10 pm »

It's not a good idea to load a DLNA library from a NAS.  Import the files directly.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 05:23:43 pm »

It's not a good idea to load a DLNA library from a NAS.  Import the files directly.

Jim’s right. Connect MC to the library via the file share on the NAS, rather than via the media server on the NAS. Indeed I suggest you turn off the media server on the NAS. The benefit is that MC is then handling all files natively, which gives a richer browsing experience.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 11:05:36 am »

Hi everyone,

I just completed my upgrade from MC24 to MC26, but seem now to have an issue loading the DLNA library from my Synology NAS. Up until now, this has been faultless, and still works correctly if I launch a session to it via MC24. On MC26 however I get an error, stating there was a problkem retrieving files from the DLNA server and to make sure the server supports the search function.

In the log, i get the following message:

0011047: 7012: General: CDLNADeviceServiceCaller::CallServiceFunction: DLNA function call failed or timeout! url = http://192.168.0.5:50001/ContentDirectory/control function = Search execution time = 18 ms of 60000 ms.

Has the DLNA interface changed in MC26? The library is still working perfectly using MC24.
I've had and still have this problem.

In any circumstance: this wasn't a problem before with MC25 and earlier, so instead of us being told to configure differently, why isn't the admins/developers addressing and changing it back within MC26 instead?

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 11:37:08 am »

Jim’s right. Connect MC to the library via the file share on the NAS, rather than via the media server on the NAS. Indeed I suggest you turn off the media server on the NAS. The benefit is that MC is then handling all files natively, which gives a richer browsing experience.

What exactly does one need to do when turning off media server on NAS - where do I locate the "file share"?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 11:40:29 am »

I think AndrewFG means the DLNA or UPnP server on the NAS.  That's a question for Synology.

In MC, set up auto-import to import files from the NAS.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 07:00:19 am »

What exactly does one need to do when turning off media server on NAS - where do I locate the "file share"?
Read about how a NAS works.

It can appear as a (network) drive in Windows, or it can serve files via DLNA / UPnP.  Use it as a drive, not as a DLNA server.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 08:08:24 am »

Read about how a NAS works.

It can appear as a (network) drive in Windows, or it can serve files via DLNA / UPnP.  Use it as a drive, not as a DLNA server.

Thanks for pointing this out to a blundering novice. I'll look at it once back home.

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 04:15:06 am »

Thanks for pointing this out to a blundering novice. I'll look at it once back home.

if you go to windows explorer, you should be able, in Network, to see your NAS in there and it's drives.
It might ask for your passwords if you want to access it. If you have done this, JRiver has access also.

Then add those drives with tools>import>auto import in to JRiver ( if you add something new, jriver will add it to the library)

Weyeswon

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 07:45:40 pm »

I think AndrewFG means the DLNA or UPnP server on the NAS.  That's a question for Synology.

In MC, set up auto-import to import files from the NAS.

Does this strategy apply to the Id Pi? I would like to run my Synology without Media Server and just have the Id access my music files from the NAS. But with importing new music, I haven’t had success with the path syntax. Do you have to mount the volume on the NAS for this configuration? Thank you.

berniel99

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 02:40:19 am »

I found a similar problem with the Linux version of MC26.  The workaround is to configure the Synology in the following location: Media Server->DMA Compatibility->Device List
Then look for your client machine (the one running JRiver) and set the profile to "Windows Media Center".

While this will solve your problem for now, it does not address the underlying issues that the DLNA functionality has changed from MC24 to MC26 and having to do customisation in the Media Server is just covering up for software design or bug intoduced in this release of MC.  Remember that DLNA is not really a standard (as it has been abused by most of the large equipment manufacturers) and that well-behaved applications like JRiver was prior to this release should be able to easily mimic a known working client such as XBMC (I picked this example as the code is open source and readily available).

I find it strange that the developers would discourage the use of DLNA as I have found it exceptionally good in previous versions of MC and other current applications such as KODI and Foobar 2000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up