INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashed after MCWS call and won't reopen  (Read 1209 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Crashed after MCWS call and won't reopen
« on: January 22, 2020, 04:55:36 pm »

I was trying to perfect a few keyboard shortcuts to let me speed up and slow down sound (I often listen to an NPR stream, and will pause it when I get on a call, but then want to catch up by listening to it at 120% speed).  I had a typo at some point and sped it up x11, instead of setting it to 1. 

When I did that, the app became unresponsive and eventually crashed.  Now whem I'm opening it, I get a Problem Report window, and found this line funny:

Application Specific Information:
Assertion failed: (nominalSkip >= -skipFract), function processSamples, file /Users/bob/Desktop/Dev-MC26/ThirdParty/SoundTouch/source/SoundTouch/TDStretch.cpp, line 694.

Bob - I didn't know you were using my computer :)

Edit: After crashing 3 or 4 times when trying to open, the next time it opened, I checked the DSP and the speed was set to +1.09 for whatever it's worth.  I tried sending MCWS commands after setting it to 11 to slow it back down, so it's possible those were queued up... 

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Crashed after MCWS call and won't reopen
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 06:06:12 pm »

Something is certainly up.  It crashed a few more times.  When I open it, it takes a solid 90 seconds for the GUI to appear.  It crashed once and audio was still playing but the GUI was totally unresponsive.  I'll hold off on re-installing for a bit incase you'd like me to try something else.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 06:38:23 pm »

Did you try a cold reboot?

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 07:39:24 pm »

Did you try a cold reboot?

Not yet.  Will give that a go in a bit - once I save a few things.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 09:02:30 pm »

Got around to rebooting.  Relaunched MC, still took 90 seconds to open.  I can test more with actually playing audio tomorrow, but this is new behavior.  Generally it's not speedy to open, but not 90 seconds and a pinwheel while it opens.  I would say I normally wait 10'ish seconds for it to open.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:23:22 am »

Did you power cycle all the devices involved?  Modem, router, playback devices, ...

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:34:23 am »

Power cycle my router and modem?  No....

Overnight it seems to have "self healed."  I closed MC just now and reopened it and it took the normal 5 seconds to open. 

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Crashed after MCWS call and won't reopen [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 12:21:05 pm »

FYI - this happened again (I came back and MC was frozen, showed Not Responding in Activity Monitor).  I used AppCleaner to clear all but the main package, relaunched, same issue (took 90 seconds to open).  I've now fully reinstalled, will update if it happens again today.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 12:25:32 pm »

New install took 90 seconds to open.

Activity Monitor shows as unresponsive for a while. 

Eventually it opened, but my old settings were there (including license), so I'm assuming AppCleaner missed something on uninstall/ reinstall. 

Is there a good way to wipe everything?

Edited to add: After eventually opening, it went to Not Responding again within 30 seconds, then crashed. 

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 01:13:11 pm »

I used AppCleaner again and this time removed both MC25 and MC26.  I then searched my hard drive for anything containing media center or jriver and pruned a bunch of files.  After re-installing 26.0.18 now, it appears to have actually reset (new install key, skins changed to default, no library, etc). 

I was playing a stream for about 20 minutes, no problem.  Now I'm back to getting a beachball if I command+tab to MC, Activity Monitor shows Not Responding - though audio is still playing.  If I click on the MC icon in my dock, nothing happens.  If I right click, the option I see is "Force Quit." 

Edit: MC stayed on Not Responding for about 5 minutes while I typed this.  It just popped up and now I can see in Activity Monitor it's using 30%+ CPU.  All I'm playing is a 22khz MP3 stream.  So maybe it was just building thumbnails, etc from a new install...  I'll let it run wild for a while.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 01:36:04 pm »

I'm going to keep giving real-time updates until someone tells me to stop :)

Another 20 minutes went by, I had command+tab'd to another application and had been writing an email.  I command+tab'd back to MC and nothing happened.  I looked in Activity Monitor and it's Not Responding.  Media is still playing though. 

After typing these few sentences, when I command+tab'd back to MC, it showed up.  I look in Activity Monitor and MC is using 35+% CPU.

A moment later, it's back to beach-balling. 

bob

• Administrator
Re: Crashed after MCWS call and won't reopen [Solved]
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 01:39:57 pm »

The assertion location is the source tree I compiled from ;)

The soundtouch assertion is directly related to the playback speed.
I tried that on my system here and it worked fine. Somewhat baffling...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 01:41:46 pm »

I'm going to keep giving real-time updates until someone tells me to stop :)

Another 20 minutes went by, I had command+tab'd to another application and had been writing an email.  I command+tab'd back to MC and nothing happened.  I looked in Activity Monitor and it's Not Responding.  Media is still playing though. 

After typing these few sentences, when I command+tab'd back to MC, it showed up.  I look in Activity Monitor and MC is using 35+% CPU.

A moment later, it's back to beach-balling.
I think there is a memory leak issue in this build. I'm about to upload 26.0.19.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 03:15:11 pm »

I've been able to repeat this hang a few times (using .19).  I open up MC, and play a webstream.  I can issue MCWS commands successfully a few times, and eventually one will take 50 - 150 seconds to complete.  I can also just click around MC for a few minutes and eventually the GUI will freeze for the same amount of time.

I thought it was related to the MCWS call, but I think that's just what I was doing at the time. 

EDIT: Just saw bob's update in the main release thread.  I'll hold tight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up