INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to open port 52199 in McAfee Firewall?  (Read 1242 times)

jagdriver

• World Citizen
How to open port 52199 in McAfee Firewall?
« on: January 24, 2020, 09:08:50 am »

I was successfully using Gizmo on my Android smartphone with MC26 until a recent MC26 upgrade on Windows 10. Now the smartphone won't connect because 52199 is blocked again.

My understanding is that 52199 is a UDP port, yes? So I opened up McAfee FW and tried adding an entry for MC26 and 52199, then I saved that.

Rebooting both my PC and the smartphone doesn't help. I'm missing something, but know not what. How do I restore connectivity? (Please be as explicit as possible.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to open port 52199 in McAfee Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 09:12:16 am »

Please see the Network Access topic on our wiki.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 09:50:53 am »

The wiki wasn't helpful.

I tried turning off McAfee Firewall and then trying the connection on my smartphone, but still no go.

And yet testing my MC Access Key is successful on my PC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 09:56:08 am »

Make sure you configure Windows Defender.  There is a thread here on it.

Uninstall McAfeee.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 10:53:51 am »

I've uninstalled McAfee and have configured Windows Firewall to allow Media Center 26.exe, MC26.exe, JRService.exe, and JRWorker.exe to function on my private network.

Am I missing something? Do I need to extend permission to all of these?

I've rebooted my PC several times and have restarted to phone several times—including after uninstalling Gizmo, then reinstalling it and adding the requisite Access Key. I have repeatedly tested the key, too, with nary an error.

I did have a brief internet outage this past Thursday. But all of my other network gear functions fine. Yet I'm left wondering if something got reset, perhaps internally in the router?

What appears odd is that Gizmo is attempting to connect to http://c-##-###-###-##.hsd1.ma.comcast.net:52199. The lowercase c in the address looks odd to me, but diagnosing that is above my pay grade.

Oh, and I've tried Gizmo with Windows Firewall turned off (along with McAffee unistalled). No go.

Also, when I reinstalled Gizmo, it did t reflect my current access key. In rekeying that Access Key, the connection failed after several retries and the new Access Key entry didn't stick.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 11:17:33 am »

In MC settings for Media Network, there is a test that will tell you whether your access is open or not.

52199 needs to be forwarded on your router.  The wiki topic on Network Access has more.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 11:21:27 am »

Right, every test I've run from the MC interface says that the connection is OK for my private network.

And I've tried changing my MC 26 server to a static I{ based on this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15089/windows-change-tcp-ip-settings

Much as I try, it doesn't want to accept the settings I found by running IPCONFIG /ALL/. I tried completing IPv6 alone and, when that didn't work, decided it needed both IPv4 and IPv6 settings. Nope.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
Re: How to open port 52199 in McAfee Firewall? [SOLVED]
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 12:28:03 pm »

I finally got Gizmo working again.  :)

My Orbi router wouldn't accept my password, so had to reset the PW. That in itself was a convoluted process. Once I succeeded, then it was a matter of guessing how to correctly configure port forwarding for a given service. The drop-down menu choices were limited.  ?

Eventually I guessed IP_Phone, which turned out to be correct. But then I had to edit that, as the default port was different than the required 52199. As soon as I finished the edit, voila! Gizmo worked just as before.  ;D

Something must have changed between a new Windows 10 update and/or an Android update, as I had never had to mess with router settings before for Gizmo to function. And I've been using Gizmo on an Android smartphone (I'm now on my second) for what... at least five years.  >:(

I'm attaching a screenshot for the benefit of others who may also be using an Orbi router.
Pages: [1]   Go Up