INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 26 Media Server prevents my iMac from shutting down  (Read 1102 times)

Domi62

• Recent member
MC 26 Media Server prevents my iMac from shutting down
« on: January 28, 2020, 07:30:35 am »

When you switch off your Mac at the end of the day (yes, I know some people never switch it off, but it is in my bedroom and the occasional fan hum, and the hum from the attached hard drives wake me up), the Media Server prevents MacOS from shutting down and you must manually confirm you are OK to quit before the Mac agrees to continue shutting down.
With every update, I hope MC will fix this, but nope, nothing so far, 26 still does it.
Note I also run Roon, which briefly flashes the same warning at shutdown, but it is automatically dismissed.
It would be terrific to consider this, as it is bothering me every single day.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 26 Media Server prevents my iMac from shutting down
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:58:58 am »

I think that's a Mac issue.

Make sure you stop playback in MC first, not just pause it.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 10:01:48 am »

How are you doing your shutdown?  Using the GUI?  Scheduled?

Certainly, when using the GUI to shut down a Mac, it will complain that busy programs need to be closed first.  I use several (iTerm2 is a big one) that *always* prevent shutdown until I allow them to close.  I have not noticed MC doing this.  But I almost never shut down my Mac, so I'm not sure.

There are ways to shut down the Mac that bypass these checks.  Some web searches will turn up articles on how to do it.  I can point you to specific ones if you'd like. 

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 01:23:51 pm »

MC will sign off your networked DLNA devices so if you have several DLNA devices or a misbehaving (stuck) one you would see a delay on MC shutting down.
A way to test this would be to see how long it takes MC to shutdown by itself.

Domi62

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:46:35 am »

Many thanks to all for your responses.

Some answers back:
- I do shut down from the Apple menu, Shut Down, and confirm Shut Down now
- Note it is not MC complaining, it is the MC Media Server (if MC only, shut down works)
- I have not located ways around this (I tried with Automator scripts but failed), so any tip is welcome
- As it is linked to Media Server, Stopping or Pausing has no influence, I tried many times
- MC shut down by itself is instantaneous, and with Media Server less than a second
- Other media Servers (Roon, but I also tried Asset UPNP) do not cause this interruption of shutdown, so they are not held back by issues with my UPNP readers

I hope the above will help guide you towards why MC Media server prevents my iMac from shutting down.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 08:07:07 am »

I don't run Media Server on my Macs, only the regular MC "client".  I can try to test it later and see if Media Server causes the "confirm before shutdown" behavior or not.

To be clear here, you are able to make this work just by clicking the "ok to shut down" button right?  I asked before about automated or scheduled shutdowns because in those cases you wouldn't be sitting in front of the screen and able to press the ok button.

You can do a shutdown in Mac that ignores all of that if you want to, but since you're able to just hit "ok", I guess that's probably not worth it.  The procedure for this involves creating a script file that invokes a shutdown command, saving that script file, and then using that script to shut down the Mac instead of selecting it from the menu.  It's very non-standard and generally not a recommended thing.

Brian.

Domi62

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 02:55:35 am »

Hello Brian,

Yes, I confirm, I can get rid of the warning by simply clicking OK to shut down, it's just one more annoying click. I am also not in favour of hat non standard shut down script; many tanks for checking and letting me know. As mentioned, this issue has existed ever since MC was ported to Mac.

Domi62

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 03:19:48 am »

Hello MC team,
Did you guys forget trying to solve this MC bug?

Every single day, I need to wait for that message telling me MC (media server) is preventing my Mac to shut down, then click OK.

Even more bothersome as I often switch off my Mac remotely using Team Viewer on a tablet, and if I forget to first exit the MC Media Sever, my Mac initiates shuts down, and then waits forever on the MC error message, but I can't see it nor access it any more via Team Viewer. I only notice the next morning it didn't shutdown.

Note I am also experimenting with Amarra, and it does not cause this issue (Roon also doesn't: it flashes the error message briefly)

HaWi

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 09:34:45 am »

Hello MC team,
Did you guys forget trying to solve this MC bug?

Every single day, I need to wait for that message telling me MC (media server) is preventing my Mac to shut down, then click OK.

Even more bothersome as I often switch off my Mac remotely using Team Viewer on a tablet, and if I forget to first exit the MC Media Sever, my Mac initiates shuts down, and then waits forever on the MC error message, but I can't see it nor access it any more via Team Viewer. I only notice the next morning it didn't shutdown.

Note I am also experimenting with Amarra, and it does not cause this issue (Roon also doesn't: it flashes the error message briefly)
I had this problem for a while, too. I did this:
1. Close MC26 and MC26 Media Server.
2. Open Activity Monitor and delete all MC processes (I had one).
3. I also had two MC icons in the Dock so I removed the one on the right. The second one I left, as this is the one I set up myself.
4. Restart MC
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro
Pages: [1]   Go Up