INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 26 still does not support BlueSound / BluOS Devices  (Read 1957 times)

Domi62

• Recent member
MC 26 still does not support BlueSound / BluOS Devices
« on: January 28, 2020, 07:40:12 am »

I know, "they are not UPNP/DLNA", but Roon could have answered this too, yet they took the trouble to support their paying customers and created a "Roon ready" capability for Bluesound.
Mind you, Bluesound is equally stubborn ignoring UPNP, but this leaves the paying customer between a rock and a hard place, with no solution.
Are you guys really not on speaking terms? It is a shame one the best music softwares and one of the best music streamer hardware available today refuse to make each other compatible....

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 26 still does not support BlueSound / BluOS Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:07 am »

I've never even heard of Bluesound, but do they not have a bridge device to get audio into their system?
It looks like they support AirPlay, so you could have a Media Center zone outputting to HiFi Cable and that being passed to TuneBlade.
That's how I handle multi-room audio, since I was never able to get UPnP devices to work reliably.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:57:35 am »

We do our best to support industry standards.  We're not able to support other methods.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 11:13:50 am »

Direct quote from Tony W. - BlueOS Product Support Manager "BluOS is a closed eco-system and does not support DLNA."
So that does not sound like it is possible for third parties to add BluOS support, in fact I believe it was Blue that added Roon support not the other way round.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 02:24:32 pm »

I inquired with Bluesound in Oct 2019 if they were ever going to consider DLNA support.  I received back the following response.  Note that the connection for Bluesound devices is always that of the device pulling music files, via Samba.
SMB is more stable and is a onetime connection – it does not require recreating at every boot
SMB takes less network bandwidth so creates less jitter and timing issues when grouping multiple players never mind when receiving from the server
SMB does not require special 3rd party software and is native to Windows, macOS and all Network Attached Storage devices (as Windows File Sharing). It also works with Linux if SAMBA is enabled
DLNA does not let us build a local library database of music so you can;
  • Display by Artist, Album, Song
  • Sort by alphabetical or release date
  • Filter on CD, HR or MQA content
  • Provide visual cover art quickly and dynamically
  • Make it searchable to easily locate what you want on large libraries

I have no idea how well it works, but it is definitely a closed, proprietary solution.

Domi62

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 08:33:35 am »

Many thanks to all for the responses.

For those who do not know Bluesound, look at: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bluesound-node-2i

It is part of the NAD group, which uses BluOS for its streaming, as well as the excellent Danish Dali speakers.

...and yes, it does sound spectacular for the money, plus the app is plain but good and includes Qobuz, Tidal (both in HiRes) as well as Spotify.

AirPlay is indeed a way around (though convoluted) but it sheds the Hi-Res capability along the way.

I'll have to keep relying on Roon, but it is somehow weird that I need 2 closed systems (BlueSound and Roon) to talk to each other, while the theoretically more capable and open JRiver is not able to address this hardware.

RD James

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 10:00:52 am »

AirPlay is indeed a way around (though convoluted) but it sheds the Hi-Res capability along the way.
Don't worry about that. "High res" audio is a scam, since anything it adds is outside the range of human hearing.
And most of the time it's just junk noise the mics picked up from things like electronics in the room that gets added; nothing musical.

I'll have to keep relying on Roon, but it is somehow weird that I need 2 closed systems (BlueSound and Roon) to talk to each other, while the theoretically more capable and open JRiver is not able to address this hardware.
There's nothing JRiver can do if BlueSound is closed-off and proprietary.
Media Center supporting open formats doesn't help if the device you're using is locked down.
Pages: [1]   Go Up