INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jpeg autoimport of exif and xmp facetags gone?  (Read 1187 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Jpeg autoimport of exif and xmp facetags gone?
« on: January 28, 2020, 03:06:38 pm »

I just upgraded from late 24 to 26.0.19 and as far as I can see, mc no longer auto imports changes done by external applications to exif, xmp facetags, keywords.

In mc 24 this worked quite well. Apart from the keywords handling, of course, which seems to have been fixed now. Thanks for that!

Was the removal of auto import on purpose or is there some kind of new setting which I missed?

Edit: I've moved my photo collection from a windows server machine (NTFS) to a Synology NAS (BTRFS)

Regards,
Harald

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Jpeg autoimport of exif and xmp facetags gone?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:03:48 am »

Hi Raldo! I previously utilised this extensively with Picasa... until it was sadly retired.

I do facetagging in lightroom, and these changes are reflected in the [Keywords] or [People] fields in MC for me with each auto-import. I always 'manually' run the auto-import (ie I don't have it running in the background) and make sure 'update for external changes' is selected in the auto-import settings for the folders watched.

Edit: I just realised I have not tested this with 26 yet, but was working fine with 25 when I last processed a big batch of photos.

raldo

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 04:43:23 am »

I also use Lightroom for facetagging and in some cases setting the date of photos.

But it seems as if we have a bit different workflow. I don't use auto import of the photos AFTER I've worked on them in Lightroom.

In my case
(i) autoimport directly to MC from the camera/phone upload folder
(ii) In MC, Prune photos: delete/rotate etc.
(iii) In MC copy to photos folder
(iv) Sync Lightroom with photos folder
(v) In lightroom: Facetag, change dates, geotag, reverse geotag (places/city/country/sublocation)

So in step (v), both Lightroom and MC can see the images.

In MC 24, facetags, places, dates, etc would then automatically show up.

No action was needed in MC. This no longer seems to be the case.

raldo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 03:30:01 pm »

Anyone?

raldo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 06:31:40 pm »

I installed a 25.0.115 and I see the same there.

Just to make it clear:
o Auto import is enabled on the photo folder where both mc and Lightroom see the file
o If I do an "Update Library (from tags) on the files, the facetag metadata is imported just fine into mc's People tag.

raldo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 07:50:14 am »

Bump.

Anyone from JRiver maybe: Has this functionality been removed somewhere in MC25?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 10:37:50 am »

Can you give us more details, like which tags you tried to edit externally, and where they are saved (in Exif, or xmp, or IPTC) by the external program.

I ran some quick tests and it seems to be working, except one case.  When I changed "Date Taken" in an external program (Sony's PlayMemories Home), the change got saved in the EXIF tag, but we still only read from IPTC tag.  Since we got data from IPTC, we ignored EXIF and XMP.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

raldo

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 05:56:46 am »

You know, It seems as if auto import now has imported most of the exmpfacetag, lat/lon, and Places changes.

I was not aware that one had to point auto import at the photos folder for this to happen. I'm not sure why this has worked before, maybe the autoimport folders did not come along in an upgrade?

All the dates for the files in question are screwed up. I'd assume this is the issue which was previously reported by someone else on mc26.

How often does mc scan for changes? It did take a very long time from when I added the photos folder until the changes showed up...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 07:59:39 am »

In my limited test, the changes made (to one image) externally almost immediately are reflected in MC.  Maybe you just have to press F5 in MC to refresh the view.

Regarding date field, build 19 and an earlier build contain some fixes (although more fixing seems to be needed).  If you still have issues with Date field using the latest build, let us know.  As I mentioned in my last post, if multiple data formats exist in an image, it is debatable which one we should use, but we have to choose one.

raldo

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 08:43:03 pm »

I'm seeing this in 26.0.19 .

I'm using Lightroom to tag faces and lat/lon.

In mc in the tag action pane, I can see "Date  6113" and "Date (Filename Friendly) 61130101-000000"

However when I look in the jpeg info in the action window,

IPTC Tags:
   Date Created: 20191201
   Keywords: [Snipped...]

The latter is IPTC and correct.

I've tried to reimport tags from file.

Edit: When inspecting the file in the Geosetter application (which uses Exiftool), all dates (xmp,exif,iptc) seem to be the same, I.e. December 1., 2019 for a particular photo. But the date in mc shows 6113 as I indicated above.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 12:08:32 am »

I saw that problem, and fixed it on Tuesday.  It will be in an upcoming build.

raldo

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 12:18:47 am »

Great!

Thanks,
H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up