INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromium Hanging: Fixed!  (Read 2216 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
Chromium Hanging: Fixed!
« on: January 30, 2020, 07:50:16 pm »

I installed JRiver 26.0.19. When I clicked on the Streaming and Cloudplay stuff, I had the problem where Chromium tries to install, but then hangs. I have had that problem from time to time on various computers and I know others have, too.

I searched the forums and tried a few things suggested. I wanted to post what finally seemed to fix it.

Matt had a post back on October 04, 2013:

"If you're having this problem, please delete this folder and try again:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\chromium"

I followed that path, but for my 64bit version of 26, and deleted the \chromium64 folder (it was empty anyway). Then Chromium seemed to install fine (reinstalling the folder and adding Chromium to it).

Just wanted to share in case others have this...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Chromium Hanging: Fixed!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 07:51:32 pm »

Antivirus?

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 08:03:01 pm »

Oh hi, Jim!

I don't know. It was at work. I saw several of your posts in the past suggesting security software could be the culprit. This was at work and I don't have control over that end of things. I have had it happen at home and it didn't seem to be security oriented, but that was quite some time ago. I can tell you that I did not change any security stuff today when I got it working.

Cheers!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 11:35:58 am »

Thanks for the reminder of what to do. Bookmarking this now.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 08:11:19 pm »

OK, I got all excited and spoke too soon. Updating to 26.0.29 saw the dreaded Chromium hang. No problem; I will just delete that folder. But it didn't work.

What worked this time was copying the contents of that folder from my work computer (where Chromium installed correctly this time; it doesn't always work there either). I used a flash drive to copy "AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 26\Plugins\chromium64" to the same folder on the offending computer. I had to re-log into CloudPlay. Then it worked!

I wish there was an alternative way to get Chromium every time it updates. I don't know if it is a security software issue. Perhaps, perhaps not. I think one time uninstalling security stuff didn't fix the problem. But even if it IS a security software problem, I can't uninstall/reinstall that software (Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Comodo Firewall, etc.) every time there is a Chromium update. I say just let us know where we can get a copy that works and we can install it ourselves when there is an issue.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Sorry to mislead and get people's hopes up for the easy solution...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 07:14:41 am »

I wish there was an alternative way to get Chromium every time it updates. I don't know if it is a security software issue. Perhaps, perhaps not. I think one time uninstalling security stuff didn't fix the problem. But even if it IS a security software problem, I can't uninstall/reinstall that software (Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Comodo Firewall, etc.) every time there is a Chromium update. I say just let us know where we can get a copy that works and we can install it ourselves when there is an issue.
If you're running Windows 10, uninstall those and just use Windows Defender.

It might be worth reading the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 01:45:54 pm »

It is strange that it is always the chromium download which is failing. e.g I got the hang again when youtube was updated and went to Streaming section which triggered the chromium update. It hanged. What makes it strange is that just a minute before that, I started video which triggered a MadVR update, and there was no problem. In fact I haven't had any problems with 3rd party downloads ever but chromium.

Could it be that because the chromium package is so big, it will sometimes cause havoc for MC's "download manager". This time I waited a while for two times... MC was hanging both times so I killed it. Second time package downloading was I guess completed even though MC needed to be killed because 3rd time I started MC the chromium package was in the app data folder and working withou further downloads

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 02:53:06 pm »

It is strange that it is always the chromium download which is failing. e.g I got the hang again when youtube was updated and went to Streaming section which triggered the chromium update. It hanged. What makes it strange is that just a minute before that, I started video which triggered a MadVR update, and there was no problem. In fact I haven't had any problems with 3rd party downloads ever but chromium.

Could it be that because the chromium package is so big, it will sometimes cause havoc for MC's "download manager". This time I waited a while for two times... MC was hanging both times so I killed it. Second time package downloading was I guess completed even though MC needed to be killed because 3rd time I started MC the chromium package was in the app data folder and working withou further downloads

The download is only 50mb, which is bigger then the others, but not extreme. Its more likely that AV software flags such files and prevents them from being written because a browser does a lot of network stuff and might look  rather suspicious to an AV.

Personally, with Windows Defender, I've never experienced this on any system. But who knows.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:43:15 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I have Win 7 and that won't change soon. Though it will change eventually. The Internet Explorer option worked last time I tried it, but... its Internet Explorer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 07:02:30 am »

Personally, with Windows Defender, I've never experienced this on any system. But who knows.

I will say...

I use only Windows Defender (Win 10) on my various PCs at home, and I can't ever get Chromium to download correctly on multiple machines. Sometimes I "jiggle the handle" (deleting the various folders) and get it to download successfully once or twice, but it fails again later on a future install.

I have to keep mine all on the IE engine.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

audioviel

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 09:18:58 am »

i have same problem with mc27.0.20 64bit win - solution not working!
Pages: [1]   Go Up