INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With WDM JR plays, but Spotify doesn’t.  (Read 2419 times)

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
With WDM JR plays, but Spotify doesn’t.
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:08:45 pm »

Win 10 JRM 26

JRM was not utilizing WDM. In playback device, it showed my Ayre DAC. I removed wmd from features closed/opened re-selected wmd closed/opened and restarted w10. I then had the ability to select jriver 25 as the playback device. This worked well for JRM, but now, no sound from Spotify. If I go back and select Speaker (Ayre interface), Spotify work straight away. In JRM when I try to adjust the volume level, the slider has no effect, so I assume that it’s playing through the WDM driver. In Spotify, the volume slider does allow for level adjustment, so I assume that WDM is not in control. Either way, my DAC is working as it’s showing the correct playback I’m a bit new to W10 and recently purchased this laptop. My previous system was win 7 and JRM 24 and it seemed that wmd controlled all the sound, bypassing windows.  I’m prob missing something simple, but what?
Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: With WMD JR plays, but Spotify doesn’t.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 05:47:15 pm »

Run MC. Select the Ayre DAC as the output device.
In Windows 10, set the Default Audio Device to the WDM Driver (JRiver Media Center xx).
Start Spotify. Play to the Default Audio Device, or the WDM Driver.

Audio will then play from Spotify through MC with all DSP, Volume control, etc. in MC. Best to not use Spotify as volume control, but that is up to you.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: With WDM JR plays, but Spotify doesn’t.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 09:25:46 am »

I’ve done these things.

JRM Ayre interface (wasapi)

Windows output device: JRiver 25 master volume 100

Still, JRM plays great, but no sound from Spotify. If I revert back to Ayre as my windows playback device, both JRM and Spotify play, but I don’t believe wdm is in control. How would I know?

I don’t see JRM or WDM in startup or processes. Should I?

I do see it listed and checked in features (I removed restarted and re-selected)

Wish I was more natural at this stuff...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:06:28 pm »

Well, MC still needs to be running when you play music in Spotify. Then the audio will be passed like this:

Spotify > WDM Driver > Media Center > Ayre DAC.

Once you have started playback in Spotify, you can look at the MC Audio Path to see that MC is playing the tracks. Read https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

If you don't want to start MC manually before starting Spotify, and if you set the WDM Driver to the Default Audio Device all the time, have MC start with Windows every time.

Go to "Options > Startup > Windows Startup > Run on Windows startup" and set that to "Media Center and Media Server".
You may also want to tick "Options > General > Interface > Minimise to System Tray", so that if you minimise MC it isn't sitting there on the Taskbar.

See how you go with that. Make the changes, restart Windows, then start Spotify and play something.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 10:43:48 pm »

Seems to be working. Haven’t tried the audio path. Will play more this weekend. Thank you for the insight!

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 04:59:16 am »

Had the same issue with Spotify & NuPrime uDSD even though I saved my profiles. Somehow MC26 would revert DSP output back to 5.1 channels from 2.0 as I saved it...not sure if its after program updates but nonetheless, try changing channels in DSP Studio>Output Format

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Output_Format

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 02:05:30 pm »

Somehow MC26 would revert DSP output back to 5.1 channels from 2.0 as I saved it...not sure if its after program updates but nonetheless, try changing channels in DSP Studio>Output Format

MC will only change Output Format if you tell it to, or if you have told it to do it automatically.

Set "Options > Audio > Advanced > Auto configure output settings on playback error" to Ask, or No.

Had the same issue with Spotify & NuPrime uDSD even though I saved my profiles.

What do you mean by Profiles?
Do you mean your Audio configuration in Zones?

It actually sounds like your issue was very different, in that it wasn't because the WDM wasn't working, but because your NuPrime uDSD couldn't play the format you had MC sending to it. Hence, no output. Then you changed MC to automatically change the output, so you then got audio out, but MC magically changed the Output Format... because you told it to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up