INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Sync: No bit-depth control  (Read 894 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Handheld Sync: No bit-depth control
« on: February 03, 2020, 04:32:00 pm »

(Moved from MC25 forum to here.)

There is no bitdepth control in handheld sync settings.

I can't 'downbit' my ALAC 24bit files to 16bit, in order to save some space on a handheld device.

Was this done on purpose, AND, can it be added?
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No bitdepth control in handheld sync settings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 06:52:58 pm »

You can apply DSP to a file conversion for Handheld Sync.

The Parametric Equaliser in DSP has a Bitdepth Simulator, which can be set to 16bit.

I'm not sure that works, or will produce the files you want. Try it. Report back.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:56:24 pm »

Hi. Yes -- I tried that: It produces the native bitdepth (e.g., 24) and just 'simulates' 16 bit depth. So I assumed that meant it converted the eight LSBs (least significant bits) to zeros. Anyway, it was 24-to-24, so the file sizes were the same. Thanks though. ;)
Derek Pert

RD James

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 08:31:26 pm »

I expect it's an oversight because the assumption was that people are either going to want untouched files, or convert to lossy (which uses floating-point rather than integer).
The latter is what I'd recommend. I use qaac as an external encoder to convert everything to AAC in "true VBR" mode, which results in files that are 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the originals, but audibly transparent.
Most AAC encoders won't let you select higher than 256kbps, but this regularly encodes FLAC to AAC at bitrates of 350kbps or higher, depending on complexity.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:49:33 pm »

Thanks. I've actually been waiting for an AAC encoder to become built into MC. But maybe I'll get into the external encoder that you recommended.

Independently, however: if it is just an oversight, and just needs e.g., a checkbox or combobox to be added or unhidden in the GUI, well that would be nice to see done too.
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 03:27:56 pm »

Hi RD James:

I'm attempting to set up qaac 2.68 x64 in MC.

Command prompt: qaac64 --check reveals that, although I have the latest iTunes installed *from MS Store*, the required components are not present. The AppleApplicationSupport package would appear to not be installed with the new MS Store-type distribution of iTunes.

Do you know / have any experience with this snag?

I could potentially acquire the AppleApplicationSupport.msi payload ... somehow ... but I fear that installing it alongside the newer MS Store iTunes scheme might screw something up. Seems like hack territory.

Any ideas?
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 03:36:33 pm »

BTW -- Some folks were dealing with the same topic here:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=85135.1100
Derek Pert

RD James

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 12:23:27 am »

Hi RD James:
I'm attempting to set up qaac 2.68 x64 in MC.
Command prompt: qaac64 --check reveals that, although I have the latest iTunes installed *from MS Store*, the required components are not present. The AppleApplicationSupport package would appear to not be installed with the new MS Store-type distribution of iTunes.
Do you know / have any experience with this snag?
I could potentially acquire the AppleApplicationSupport.msi payload ... somehow ... but I fear that installing it alongside the newer MS Store iTunes scheme might screw something up. Seems like hack territory.
Any ideas?
You need Apple Application Support installed for it to work, not the MS Store version of iTunes, which is self-contained. There shouldn't be a conflict with both installed though.
qaac is an interface for Apple's AAC encoder, and my understanding is that the MS Store version of iTunes prevents access to it.
It's not a "hack" - it's the difference between Win32 and UWP applications.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 06:02:41 am »

Hi RD James:

Thanks. For clarity: I didn't mean the qaac thing was a hack, and 'hack' is the wrong word for what I meant (sorry). I just meant I had concerns about taking an older Apple component and installing it on a system where a newer/changed structure of ostensibly the same software already exists. But you have made a good case that the two should be able to coexist, so I'll give it a try.
Derek Pert
Pages: [1]   Go Up