INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MakeMKV advice...  (Read 2765 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
MakeMKV advice...
« on: February 04, 2020, 10:24:35 am »

Hi all,

We were playing with MakeMKV and importing the files it makes into Media Center.

I have a Guns of Navarone blu-ray I've ripped.  It made 25 files from Guns Of Navarone_t00.mkv to Guns Of Navarone_t25.mkv.  Four of the files are about 32 GB each.

When I import them into Media Center, it's kind of a mess since there are so many files and I was expecting just a single movie.

Is there some way to make MakeMKV just rip the main movie?  When I look at the app, there's a big list of choices but nothing obviously says "I'm the right movie" to me.

Thanks for any advice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: MakeMKV advice...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 11:14:28 am »

It's usually the biggest and longest, with the most chapters, and all the audio tracks. For a human typically easy to identify.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:51:28 am »

Sometimes the multiple (30gb+) titles are commentary titles and such.  Most times it's a copy protection scheme from the distributor (Sony, Lionsgate, Disney, etc.).  I usually just do a web search on MakeMKV, and the movie.  Other rippers will have done the legwork to identify the correct main movie title # to rip.

I have also found that the main movie title # can be different depending on where you bought it... Walmart, Best Buy, etc.  Which is weird.

Manfred

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 12:16:49 pm »

You could also define under properties->Video a minimum time for a track to be included e.g. 120 seconds so most of the garbage is gone  :)
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 01:03:51 pm »

It's usually the biggest and longest, with the most chapters, and all the audio tracks. For a human typically easy to identify.

This - always look for the biggest track (or tracks - as some discs offer different cuts) and only select that item.

Ideally you want a single file for most rips.

VP

Ekpen

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 02:57:18 pm »

I have ripped more than 2000 ttites. Always look for the biggest file or track, of course your choice of language etc.
Take note: if you are ripping uhd, you must purchase certain optical drive, either the ones called "friendly drive or the actual optical drive (triple layer drive.)

Bye.
George

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 04:26:35 pm »

Matt, some titles use a type of "protection" where the various portions of the movie file are jumbled into random sequences, creating numerous titles within MakeMKV that all look the same size as the true movie. Usually, you can search the MakeMKV forum and find the correct Title number.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 09:49:04 pm »

An easy way to find the main title is to run dvdfab. When it's done analyzing it will tell you the main title number. Anydvd may do the same.
Sometimes there are lots of options because the manufacturer of the disc is trying to annoy you. Sometimes there will be multiple versions of the movie like: theatrical, directors cut, unrated, extended, alt ending, etc. Sometimes there will be different languages for the opening credits. Sometimes there will be tiny differences in scenes for different languages and countries. Examples being store front signs or culturally relevant celebrity aliens in Men In Black.

I find MakeMKV a lot quicker to use with a custom selection expression. I use this one to select all English audio tracks and subtitles for French and English.
Code: [Select]
-sel:all,+sel:(eng&audio),+sel:(fre&subtitle),+sel:(eng&subtitle)
It's annoying manually sorting out all the ripped titles, but glorious once it's done. I watched a couple actual DVDs over the holidays and lost my mind trying to skip through the forced trailers and warnings.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 12:14:05 am »

Yes, this is an annoying problem, especially as you got four candidate 32GB files in the mix. I find a lot of my older customers have trouble with BluRay ripping in MakeMKV. Now, with DVDFab Passkey, I get them to rip the movies, including UHD (with "friendly" drives) directly from MC. The metadata lookup before ripping is a fantastic feature that MakeMKV cannot match. I personally use both apps at different times, but MC's ripping of the whole disc, including menus is very much appreciated.

I believe MakeMKV can use expressions to change the default naming of the files it produces, instead of the unhelpful Title#.
As an aside, I often wish MC could use Carnac on the containing folder name if the filename is simply Title # when autoimporting MKVs made by MakeMKV. That would save a lot of hassle for those ripping a lot, or those who are not so comfortable with Windows. One could simply create a folder with the proper name and then rip with makemkv; it would mean no renaming of the filename would be necessary for MC to gather the metadate from tmdb.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 06:48:35 am »

I use 3 tools to rip BD

1. MakeMKV
2. DVDFab
3. MKVToolnix

I use DVDFab only with DolbyVision titles to rip only main movie title (MakeMKV if do folder backup includes all extras/menus that I don't use). Be sure I will convert these to MKV when it can support DV.

MakeMKV is my main tool though ... as previous ppl suggested you can control what is available to rip by setting minimum movie length [View]->[Preferences]->[Video]->[Minimum Title Length] (i personally also rip all available trailers ... so I set it quite low at 30s and have to filter through lots of rubbish, but its not that bad)

I also advise turning on AV sync notifications [View]->[Preferences]->[General]->[Show AV Synchronization messages] ... which i will explain later.

As others suggested ... look for biggest file size with chapters ... multiple large files can be:

1. Hidden Japanese tracks  - there are always 2 big files of same size ... difference is - second contains English and Japanes, first contains English and other foreign languages
2. Multiple versions of movie - 2 big files of different size  and different running length
3. Localized versions of movies - multiple big files of about same size but same running length(first one is usually English)

Multiple English audios ... first ones are soundtracks in different formats ... followed by audio description (narrator explains things for visually impaired) if BD have them.

English audios at the very end of the list (after foreign ones) are commentaries ... there might be several of those.

Multiple sub tracks ... if there is SDH (for hearing impaired) those come first ... then normal subs. There might be "set" of subtitles (all languages ... then set of selective language repeated ... for example eng, spa, jap, pol, rus, ukr, eng, spa, jap, eng, spa, jap, eng, spa, jap) ... first set is normal subs (that includes SDH) ... last set is forced subtitles if BD have them separate ... rest is subs for commentaries

Under HD tracks there will be "sub level" tracks ... those are core tracks ... for DTSHD its DTS, for TrueHD its AAC ... you don't need DTS track as DTSHD has one truly imbedded in it ... but you might need AAC if your equipment cannot decode TrueHD

3D videos will have MVC "sub level" ... if ticked 3D is ripped ... if not 2D only ... note that 3D rips can be watched in 2D too

Under each subtitle will be "sub level" forced ... if enabled, MKV will extract subs that are marked by force flag

In properties for each tracks ... you can (1) name them (2) set the order weight - smallest order appear first in the list of tracks (3) set flags "d" is default, "f" is forced, "df" both

See attached ... for me looking at segment map helps me determine what to rip ... this simply list which mt2s are part of playlist in the order they are shown ... you can look and single out which m2ts is different and try playing it (having AnyDVD really helps here) to see what makes those playlists different

Now to Audio Video sync ... MakeMKV will notify you when it detects one ... playlists with multiple segments will always have them ... "AV sync detected - 0 frames dropped to reduce sync to 22ms" something like that ... if 0 frames dropped its OK ... there might be issues when frames are dropped (not supposed to happen ... but on Zootopia UHD there was an audio click at the end of movie when Hobbs gives speech at graduation and scene transit to police briefing).  I tried multiple things ... and ended up ripping folder structure with MakeMKV first (to remove protection) ... then ripping that to MKV using MKVToolnix ... no clicks there.

MakeMKV is certainly not automatic ... if you just click "makeMKV" ... you end up with lots of small MKV mix in ... and the main title will have several English audio and videoosubtitles tracks with no real description of what is what.

MakeMKV's strongest point is the ability to rip 3D (which DVDFab also can ... but it does not let you reorder and rename tracks ... so each tool is not perfect for my use case ... hence i use several of them)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 06:56:17 am »

Thanks for all the details.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 07:04:52 am »

tlj has covered this very well.

note that MakeMKV now supports backing up AACS 2.1 discs.   Sony seems to employ this on occasion.  DeUHD does as well.
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables
Pages: [1]   Go Up