INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound from JRiver Player, but not from rest of PC  (Read 1446 times)

wkmac

• Recent member
Sound from JRiver Player, but not from rest of PC
« on: February 04, 2020, 03:04:00 pm »

I just upgraded to 26-19, then 26-20 to see if that helped.  In either version I can play audio files in JRiver Media Center, but I don't have audio from any other source.  I have stopped the audio output on JRIver (since  am using Creative ASIO).  I can see the slider on the Windows Volume Mixer showing sound for my browser YouTube tab, but no sound emerges.

This has happened before and usually some combination of restarts, Selecting and Deselecting WDM, and appointing JRiver as default sound source in windows fixes it, but I have tried all to no avail.  I only get sound from JRiver MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound from JRiver Player, but not from rest of PC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 03:25:16 pm »

Please see Audio Setup on the wiki and look for "Exclusive Mode".  Turn it off in your audio settings in MC.

wkmac

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 03:40:16 pm »

Thanks but I don't seem to have an option to adjust exclusive mode in my Audio Device | Settings panel.   I attached a screen shot of it what I see.

agzorig

• Recent member
  • Lord, grant me the patience... RIGHT NOW!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 04:45:21 pm »

Thanks but I don't seem to have an option to adjust exclusive mode in my Audio Device | Settings panel.   I attached a screen shot of it what I see.
Try Settings | Sound | Device Properties | Additional device properties | Advanced
Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2  Build 22000.466 64-bit | SMSL AD18 AMP | SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKⅡ DAC | Wharfedale 210 Bookshelf Speakers | JRiver Media Center 28.0.100 
Raspberry Pi OS 10 Buster arm64 (Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB) | Innomaker Raspberry Pi HiFi DAC HAT | JRiver Media Center 28.0.100 (arm64)

wkmac

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 05:12:18 pm »

OK--that was a good thought, thanks!   Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help.  I de-selected exclusive mode (attached a screen shot).  Exclusive mode  has never been a problem before.  I didn't change any settings when this started to happen, but I had just upgraded JRiver. 

Also, FYI, after I cleared the exclusive mode as suggested, I rebooted my PC to see if that would help--no joy.  Also FYI:  JRiver is default sound output in Windows Advanced

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 05:31:25 pm »

JRiver is default sound output in Windows Advanced
You're using WDM.   https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 06:57:20 pm »

You don't need (or want to) deselect Exclusive Mode. As Jim points out, and I'm sure you understand, you are using the WDM Driver to play external sources via MC to your Creative SBZ Series sound card in Exclusive Mode using its ASIO driver. I assume that card is always in Exclusive Mode if you use the ASIO driver. All of this is good.

You were on the correct track with this:
This has happened before and usually some combination of restarts, Selecting and Deselecting WDM, and appointing JRiver as default sound source in windows fixes it, but I have tried all to no avail.  I only get sound from JRiver MC.

Sometimes getting the WDM Driver to install and work again after a MC Upgrade, and less often an Update, can take a bit of fiddling. Nobody has ever been able to explain why. I think it is a Windows thing, not want to set the driver.

There have been a few posts and methods to get it working. A search might find the posts with a workaround that works. Usually, your method works.

Try selecting something other than the WDM Driver as the Windows Default Device, then switching off the WDM Driver in MC Features, restarting MC (maybe the PC, but shouldn't be required), waiting just a little bit (say a minute), then restart MC, switch on the WDM Driver in MC Features, restart MC, set the WDM Driver back as the Windows Default Device, and see if that works.

If not, after switching off the WDM Driver in MC Features, reinstall MC26.0.20 over the top of the existing installation, and then try switching on the WDM Driver in MC Features again, restart MC, set the WDM Driver back as the Windows Default Device, and see if that works.

Also, have you stopped MC25 from starting with Windows? The Upgrade to MC26 should have turned that off, but it doesn't hurt to check. If you haven't uninstalled MC25, then start it now and turn off the WDM Driver in MC25 Features, then try the above in MC26.

Otherwise, have you configured your security software to allow MC26 to work after upgrading to MC26.0.19? If not, your security software could be blocking MC from properly installing or running the WDM Driver, even if it appears to be installed correctly.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wkmac

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 08:50:26 pm »

Thanks Roderick.  I will continue to try as you outlined.  That gives me some new thoughts and direction.

8)

RD James

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 12:45:17 am »

You're using ASIO.
ASIO does not provide options to the user about whether its output is exclusive or not - that depends on the device driver, and it appears that one operates in exclusive mode.
This can be frustrating because MC assumes that it is always exclusive and always bypasses the system volume control (the latter assumption breaks bitstreaming if volume control is not set to 100%).

Use a DirectSound output, or WASAPI with Exclusive Mode disabled. The latter requires that all audio is resampled in Media Center to match the Windows device settings; e.g. 24-bit 48kHz.

wkmac

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 01:06:39 pm »

When I turned off JRiver's WDM feature (as suggested by Roderick), I found that none of my sound playback options would play sound (outside of JRiver MC--which still worked via ASIO!).   

I checked to see if Windows Restore might be the answer, and found that a restore back to 31 January restored sound and allowed my ASIO/WDM setup ro run fine.  Going forward I will be deliberate about taking Windows and JRiver updates, but at least I can use my system again.

Thanks for all your insights and assistance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up