INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MediaCenter auto-catalogues files - how do I stop this?  (Read 493 times)

YahYah24

MediaCenter auto-catalogues files - how do I stop this?
« on: February 06, 2020, 01:25:23 pm »

Hello, I'm a new user and am finding it somewhat difficult to get my bearings with this application.  I'm hoping this is the correct place to ask this question. If it's not, please move it to the correct forum rather than deleting it(?).

My main problem right now is that MediaCenter is cataloguing a very large number of files without having asked me if I want this to happen or not and I need it to stop doing that.  I also need to uncatalog what it has already catalogued. 

Can someone please direct me to where I can learn this information?  I have the Wiki page link info already.
I'm finding the interface a bit difficult to work with but hoping this application grows on me with time.  I have yet to be able to create a playlist and I can't seem to figure out how to get this application to catalog only the files I want it to see.

Thanks so much

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MediaCenter auto-catalogues files - how do I stop this?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 03:21:43 pm »

You could read about auto import on our wiki. 

Why is it a problem?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MediaCenter auto-catalogues files - how do I stop this?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 08:59:04 am »

On first installation, MC will do a search and try to find your music.  It does a count down timer in the lower left corner telling you that it's going to go find your files and install them.  You can stop this by clicking the button on the timer.  Sounds like it found a bunch of your files and imported them.

I would start by clearing your library entirely.  That will remove all the imported media from the database, but will leave it all on disk where ever it is.  To clear everything out of your library:

File > > Library > Clear Library

Now you need to import some files.  You can do that directory by directory if you'd like:
Tools > Import > Import a single folder

This will import everything in the folder and everything underneath it.  So you could import your "Music" directory and it will also import all files and folders inside of Music. 

You can also set up MC to do monitoring on one or more folders.  So that any time you add new files to a folder (or subfolder), it will find them and import them.  This is called Auto Import:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import

I like auto import, but it might not suit your needs.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up