INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch -- what does it mean?  (Read 1167 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch -- what does it mean?
« on: February 08, 2020, 12:04:22 am »

OK, I admit up front, I'm an audio person, not really a video person.

I popped a Blu-ray disc into the player (a Sony Blu-ray player).  When I pressed the Info button, i saw that the audio was encoded via DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch  with a 2.2mbps bit rate.  (the rate varied between 2.1 and 2.3, with most of the time on 2.2).

Then I spent some time in various search engines, trying to learn about this DTS-HD thing.  I am now more confused than ever.

The question I am trying to answer ----  is DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 a lossless format, or not?  The articles I've read online seem to echo between truly lossless, and lossy but so good you can't hear the difference.

For the purpose of reference, ZIP files are lossless, FLAC files are lossless, MP3 files are lossy.

So I ask this august community, what means DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch?

If I have a Blu-ray disc that claims that attribution, what am I really listening to?

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch -- what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 04:40:14 am »

DTS-HD Master Audio is lossless. Of course that only applies to the compression, whatever they did to the mastering on the disc is up in the air. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch -- what does it mean?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 10:36:35 am »

Thanks for the reply.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones
Pages: [1]   Go Up