INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with setting up JRiver on a network  (Read 2118 times)

Eric M.

• Recent member
Help with setting up JRiver on a network
« on: February 25, 2020, 09:43:58 pm »

I've been wandering around the J River site and this forum for about 45 minutes now and know absolutely no more about this product or how it works than I did 45 minutes ago! I have a high end audio system and would like to play music from my computer through the system as I am now "trying" to purchase higher quality music files instead of CDs. I do have iTunes and was presently using Apple TV and the iTunes Remote app to play through my system, but have recently upgraded my Apple TV to the most current version and after 1 hour tech session with Apple, was told iTunes Remote no longer works with Apple TV. You can only control what plays through your HiFi system while looking at a TV screen hooked to your Apple TV. Paul at PS Audio is always bragging about J Rivers, so I thought i'd look into it.

I maybe trying to do something that just can't be done, so, I'll throw it out there:

-Music files are on my PC (not MAC), on iTunes.
-PC is on a network, all CAT 6, not relying on WiFi for this.
-Ethernet connection available at the HiFi system.
-Need something to plug the ethernet cable into with an HDMI output to plug into my HiFi system.
-Would like an App on my iPhone that would allow me to control what is playing, the playlist I want to listen to, pause, skip, etc., etc.
-Need a program on my PC that makes all this happen.

Can I do this with J Rivers?
-I'm not a techie person, if it involves going into parts of my operating system and making changes that an amateur should not be making, this is not for me.
-I can download programs and install if they are all inclusive (meaning no tweaking or making changes after installation, think installing Word or Excel)
-I can buy a "box" that hooks to my network and plugs into my HiFi, that's the extent of what I can do.

I kind of get the idea J Rivers is a much more advanced product that should only be used by those with extensive programming skills and knowledge of tweaking computers, the fact that I couldn't find a simple page detailing how it all works sort of pushed me to that decision. All I want to do is listen to quality music. I'm 55 and it seems the days of CDs are quickly fading. If J Rivers isn't the right product for an old audiophile, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Eric

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help with setting up J River on a network
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 10:15:46 pm »

Best try the program.  It's easy to do.  Download and install.

JRemote can control  MC.

The name is JRiver, not J Rivers.

The wiki has a topic called Getting Started.

Eric M.

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 01:51:50 am »

Thanks. I did look at the Wiki, lots of info about how to use the program, configure, set up, etc. But not a thing on how to get music from your computer to your hi-fi. Granted there are 159 pages, I didn't read them all. I'm assuming it's as simple as a USB cable from your computer to your DAC. But, what if your computer is not in the same room? Is there any way to transmit data from JRiver through the network to an auxiliary unit that will convert that data to a digital signal with an HDMI and / or USB output to plug into my system? Again, nothing I could find in the Wiki, it could be there just isn't such a thing. Is the only way to use a USB cable? If that is the case, are there any restrictions on cable lengths vs data loss? I know HDMI have limits or chips built in to boost the signal.

It maybe that JRiver stops at the USB output of my computer and I'm on my own after that.
It isn't out of the question for me to place a computer in my listening room and go with a shorter USB directly to my system.  If that is the only solution, then I think all the other info is covered in the Wiki. As mentioned in the first post, I may be trying to do something that can't be done.

I did find the 3rd party JRemote app. Yes, that will be useful when listening. I'd rather have a small phone in my hand than a keyboard and screen when choosing songs, and if I go with a long USB from room to room instead of a computer in my listening room, that will work well.

Thanks,

Eric

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:25:47 am »

For network connections, please look here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:35:29 am »

If your hi-fi includes a receiver that is connected to the network, it may support UPnP or DLNA.  Wiki.

But it might be best to download, install and play music locally (even connect to your equipment with a cable) first.  Add the complexity of remote control and network playback after you're comfortable with that.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 07:26:05 am »

There are various digital adapters available that might work in your case - for example, HDMI over Ethernet, or wireless HDMI.  I have not tried these with JRiver audio, but someone probably has.

JRiver also supports a client server mode, where you store the files on one computer and connect a remote client computer over Ethernet . The client computer can then connect directly to a usb DAC. See Media Network and Library Server in the Wiki.  This is a very common setup for JRiver Media Center (MC) users.

Some information on your system would help.

What do you have for a DAC and what type of inputs does it have (usb, HDMI, Ethernet, wireless)? Does it support DLNA?  Are you running JRiver of a laptop or on a desktop? What type of digital outputs does it have (usb, Ethernet, HDMI, wireless)?

Any of this is going to take some setup. You do not have to do extraordinary things, but you do need to learn to use the program, just like you need to learn to use Word or Excel.  Like those programs, there are lots of options. You just need to become familiar with some of them.  People here will help.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 08:55:47 am »

...  how to get music from your computer to your hi-fi. ...

I can give you one example, i.e., my setup...

The desktop computer that runs Media Center has a S/PDIF optical output for audio (it's on the motherboard).  The optical output device is supported by Windows.  I set up Media Center to play through that audio device.

There's a fiber cable that runs from the computer to a D/A converter in my stereo equipment rack.

The analog output from that D/A goes to an aux input of the preamp.

Great music then magically appears emanating from the speakers.   

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

Eric M.

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:29:17 am »

Thanks DTC,

My DAC has only HDMI and USB inputs. JRiver would be running on a desktop PC in a different room w/Ethernet, HDMI and USB outputs. I have no idea what DLNA is. I can download JRiver and start working with it. For starters, in my case, what would be the simplest connection to my system? When learning the program, I would like to be able to use it with my hifi system.

You had also mentioned digital adapters. It sounds like these are not part of a JRiver package but something that can be added to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I did see a few units listed on their site, (ID) but I'm guessing that is not the same thing.

I did find an example in the Wiki:  "Typical Home Network Setup with an AVR, a HTPC and a NAS" that did help with explaining connections. I think I may have misunderstood the product. It's software, no hardware, correct? From what I got from that Wiki, JRiver will get me to a digital output at my computers USB or HDMI output. My concern is more about getting that signal to a DAC in another room and JRiver does not have hardware to support that. There are probably ways of doing that and it sounds like there is help on this forum to accomplish that, but I'm not going to be able to purchase an all inclusive package (software and hardware), delivered to my door from JRiver?
Am I correct about that?

Thanks for the help, I realize these are extremely basic questions. I am truly lost here.

Eric M.

There are various digital adapters available that might work in your case - for example, HDMI over Ethernet, or wireless HDMI.  I have not tried these with JRiver audio, but someone probably has.

JRiver also supports a client server mode, where you store the files on one computer and connect a remote client computer over Ethernet . The client computer can then connect directly to a usb DAC. See Media Network and Library Server in the Wiki.  This is a very common setup for JRiver Media Center (MC) users.

Some information on your system would help.

What do you have for a DAC and what type of inputs does it have (usb, HDMI, Ethernet, wireless)? Does it support DLNA?  Are you running JRiver of a laptop or on a desktop? What type of digital outputs does it have (usb, Ethernet, HDMI, wireless)?

Any of this is going to take some setup. You do not have to do extraordinary things, but you do need to learn to use the program, just like you need to learn to use Word or Excel.  Like those programs, there are lots of options. You just need to become familiar with some of them.  People here will help.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:39:15 am »

From what I got from that Wiki, JRiver will get me to a digital output at my computers USB or HDMI output.
USB, HDMI or Ethernet.  (or anything else your computer has for sound)

My concern is more about getting that signal to a DAC in another room and JRiver does not have hardware to support that.
They do but hardware is not part of the software.

There are probably ways of doing that and it sounds like there is help on this forum to accomplish that, but I'm not going to be able to purchase an all inclusive package (software and hardware), delivered to my door from JRiver?
Nope but you can buy a little box called the Id (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id) or there are several 3rd party boxes that will convert ethernet to USB, HDMI or S/PDIF.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 11:48:44 am »

To follow up on Kal's response,

Yes, JRiver Media Center is just a software program. JRiver does sell a little bit of hardware, with the Id being  relevant to you. It is a small computer than can be used as a remote computer. The Id connects to the network to get files from your main computer and the Id also connects  to your DAC via usb.   It would actually be a good option in your situation, although it does take a little bit to set up.  If you have a spare laptop or  desktop you could also use that to feed your DAC.

I would suggest setting up the trial version of Media Center and the JRemote app on your phone and seeing how you like it.   If you think it will work for you, then consider how to get the data to your DAC's location.  It is very doable, but it will require some patience to learn the various options.

DLNA is a protocol that is available on a lot of AV equipment, including receivers, Blu-ray players, etc. It is less common on DACs, but some do have it.  It allows JRiver to connect directly to the equipment using the DLNA protocol.  If your DAC has DLNA it will be listed in the specs or in the instruction manual.

Eric M.

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 01:34:40 pm »

Thank you DTC and Kal,

I think I have enough to move forward. I'll download the software first and play with that with the end plan being to install the Id.

Last question before I jump into this. Which of the Ids would you recommend for my application? I see a SSD, HDD and Raspberry (I'm not really familiar with what a Raspberry is). If I'm using my computer for storage, do I need one with a HD? Can I use the Raspberry for this interface (No HD)? Or are there real audio quality advantages to having an Id with an internal HD connected directly to my DAC with an HDMI or USB? And if so, would having the faster SSD be a plus for audio quality? I'd definitely be interested in looking into which ever path offers best sound quality.  (OK, sorry, that was more than one last question)

Thanks again,

Eric M.

To follow up on Kal's response,

Yes, JRiver Media Center is just a software program. JRiver does sell a little bit of hardware, with the Id being  relevant to you. It is a small computer than can be used as a remote computer. The Id connects to the network to get files from your main computer and the Id also connects  to your DAC via usb.   It would actually be a good option in your situation, although it does take a little bit to set up.  If you have a spare laptop or  desktop you could also use that to feed your DAC.

I would suggest setting up the trial version of Media Center and the JRemote app on your phone and seeing how you like it.   If you think it will work for you, then consider how to get the data to your DAC's location.  It is very doable, but it will require some patience to learn the various options.

DLNA is a protocol that is available on a lot of AV equipment, including receivers, Blu-ray players, etc. It is less common on DACs, but some do have it.  It allows JRiver to connect directly to the equipment using the DLNA protocol.  If your DAC has DLNA it will be listed in the specs or in the instruction manual.

rec head

Re: Help with setting up JRiver on a network
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 04:09:21 pm »

You still haven't said what your DAC is. If it does indeed support DLNA then you already have everything you need.

Eric M.

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 04:33:50 pm »

I have a Schiit DAC but am presently using the DAC in a Yamaha CX-A5000 preamp. For the above described set up with the ID plugged directly to the DAC via USB or HDMI, is it still an issue that the DAC I am using supports DLNA?

Ultimately, I'd like to use the Schiit plugged directly into a Threshold modified NS10 preamp and then to a pair of Threshold SA12e monoblocks. Old school gear. Now you know why I'm so confused. I'm use to a few pairs of RCAs and some speaker wire and I'm ready to listen.

You still haven't said what your DAC is. If it does indeed support DLNA then you already have everything you need.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 05:17:48 pm »

The Yamaha CX-A5000 does support DLNA, so as long as you can connect it to the network, MC can send data to it directly using DLNA.  It supports WAV and FLAC up to 24/192 Khz. The Yamaha has usb input for disk drives, but I am not sure if you can use that with a PC.

I do not believe the Schitt DAC's support DLNA.   However, you may be able to send the signal via DLNA to the Yamaha and output it from the Yamaha. The Yamaha has optical and coax out and the Schitt probably has either optical and coax inputs.  The question is whether you can direct the DLNA input to the digital outpus on the Yamaha. That is a bit round about, but it may work.

The Yamaha should work without much problem through DLNA.

rec head

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 06:10:32 pm »

As @dtc has mentioned you are good to go with what you have now to start learning. This is very simplified:

JRiver Media Center (MC) will run on your computer
Your phone will act as a "remote"
The Yamaha (connected to your network) will be the "renderer"

You will need to turn on Media Sharing on MC then connect the phone using JRemote, Panel or another remote. When connected, in JRemote for example, you would choose the Yamaha as the "zone".

When you are more comfortable then you will need some type of hardware to get the tunes to your old school gear.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 07:04:50 pm »

i Would start slow. Get MC running first on your PC.  Then work on getting the DLNA working. That will take a little bit of work, but the Wiki can help. You need to work with the Media Network options.  Once you have that going, then go to JRemote, which will have its own little issues.  Ask for help as you go along.

Eric M.

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 08:18:04 pm »

Thanks all,

I'll jump into it and keep the Wiki open. I'll post up if I have any question.

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up