INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC database & re-rip  (Read 1259 times)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
MC database & re-rip
« on: February 14, 2020, 05:45:14 am »

While copying files to a new hard disc I unfortunately deleted a folder with many ripped CDs.
They are still in the MC database. After ripping the CDs the file names are in most cases different from these in the database. The only possibility I found is to rename every single track that they match the entry in the database. F6 doesn't work in that case and the find and replace tool doesn't contain the file name field.
Is there another solution?
Frank

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC database & re-rip
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:03:48 am »

There are utilities that can recover deleted files.

You can reset the library database.  File > Library Manager.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 07:40:04 am »

The only thing I can think of is to name all the files with just track numbers like "1.flac", "2.flac", etc.  Then change MC's database entries to use those same names.

Changing MC's file names is quite easy.  Just use the RM&C command with "update database only", and use a filename template with the track # as the rule.

Renaming all of these re-ripped files on disk... that's a different story.  You might be able to find a music renaming utility to do this, but I don't know one that I can recommend on Mac.

If it's only a few you could re-rip them again with your ripping tool set to use track number as the only file name rule.  Of course this assumes that the directory names match the ones in MC.

What data in MC are you hoping to keep?  What I mean is, is there something in MC that won't be in the metadata of the ripped files?  Custom fields?  Play counts?  Something else?

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:05:03 am »

It would be a great help if "search and replace" would include the filename field.
I have the program Metadatics that essentially can change at least the filenames on the hard disc and many useful other things, also. And there is of course the system immanent possibility to change the name or a part of it for multiple files.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 01:35:36 pm »

It would be a great help if "search and replace" would include the filename field.

Do you mean Tools > Library Tools > Find & Replace ?

You can easily do the same thing with RM&C.  Just run it in Update Database mode and use the Find & Replace template.  That will operate on any part of the file name including the path (folders) and the actual filename itself.

It's unclear to me what you are trying to do specifically.  There's some possibility I could guide you further with more information about specifics.

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 02:57:38 am »

Yes, I am mean the library tool "find & replace". As far as I can see, this doesn't include the filename field. In the meantime I use Metadatics to manage that. It has more possibilities than MC to change and manipulate the data. I am copying the data from the filename field, paste it in Metadatics and then rename the files with Metadatics. Afterwards they match the entry in MC's filename field and can be played.
As I told already I have to re-rip and re-name thousands of CDs and downloads.
Another important and time-saving feature would be a keyboard shortcut to move to the next track in the filename (name, composer, grouping....) field. Another possibility would be that, if I use the next / last track key on the keyboard, the next / previous field in the tags would be highlighted (we had that already in some builds of a former version). Now I always have to use the mouse for that.
Frank

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 08:59:59 am »

I am copying the data from the filename field, paste it in Metadatics and then rename the files with Metadatics. Afterwards they match the entry in MC's filename field and can be played.

Wow, that's a lot of effort!  There is an easier way.

As I told already I have to re-rip and re-name thousands of CDs and downloads.

If you have to do this for "thousands", you should consider an easier path.  How many have you re-ripped?  How many more do you have to do?

I ask because of my suggestion above:  Rename all files to just the track number.  This makes it trivial to match up with MC's database.  Here's what the process looks like:

1.  Re-rip (or rename with mediadatics) your files to track number.  For example, 1.flac, 2.mp3, 3.aac, etc.  As long as your albums are all in their own directories, these file names will be unique and should be fine.  If you are using multi-disc albums, you should probably rename to [disc #]-[track #].  For example:  1-1.flac, 1-2.flac ...., 2-1.flac, 2-2.flac, etc.

2.  Using MC's RM&C tool, in UPDATE DATABASE mode, change the filename for all affected tracks to match the above.  You can do this with the FILENAME template, setting it to [track #] or [disc #]-[track #].  You can do many albums at once using RM&C.  Start small so you don't make any big errors.  Try one album.  Then do a few albums.  If it works correctly, you can move on to larger groups of albums and be done very quickly.

At this point your MC filenames in the database should match your newly ripped (or renamed) files.  MC should see all files that you have worked on.  MC should be able to play all of them.

But you probably think that having filenames like 1-1.flac is pretty ugly and disorganzied, and not a good idea.  I agree!  So the last step is, inside of MC, to change the filenames to something rational.  Like [track #]-[Name] for example.  You can choose whatever naming standard you want.

3.  Highlight some files, and open RM&C.  Then use RM&C in RENAME MODE.  Fill out the FILENAME template with your desired fields so it names your files the way you want them.  As I said above, I like track number followed by song name.  So something like "07-Reminds Me Of You.flac".  After you look at the preview and check that it is correct, press OK.  Do only a few at a time at first so you don't make a big mistake.  RM&C will then rename your files on disk with your new rule.  MC's database will be updated at the same time, so it will know about these new names.

At this point your files should all be seen by MC and they should be named in a consistent way that you have choosen.  RM&C is a very powerful tool.  You should learn about it and use it for your project.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Good luck Frank.

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 04:04:13 pm »

Hmm, but that - may be I am too stupid for that - doesn't really help. If the filenames in the tag field and the name of the file don't match there is no chance to sync the files unless I would change the nam of the file that would result in the loss of too many important informations. And the tools "MCAutoQueue, MCFileIngester, Tag Pasting, and Stacks" are not available for MAC. Am I wrong?
Frank

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 07:18:13 am »

If the filenames in the tag field and the name of the file don't match there is no chance to sync the files unless I would change the nam of the file that would result in the loss of too many important informations.

The metadata (album, artist, song name, track #, etc) should all be inside the file, in it's tags.  All modern formats like FLAC, AAC, etc, store metadata inside the file.  The file name is not used for metadata in MC.  So, you can rename your files to whatever you want and the information should all still be there.

The exception to this is unusual information that you have not put into file tags.  For example, Conductor, Orchestra, etc.  These are not standard tags and are probably not populated by most ripping software.  If you have that kind of information populated in your file names, then it would be lost by renaming.  Unless you have put that information into MC's internal database.  MC's database supports any tag you want, including Orchestra, Conductor, etc.  Those tags in the internal database are separate from the file name.

This is why I asked above for some specific examples.  Because the details are really important in cases like this.

And the tools "MCAutoQueue, MCFileIngester, Tag Pasting, and Stacks" are not available for MAC. Am I wrong?

Tag Pasting and Stacks are part of MC for Mac.  The others you named are external tools, written by third parties (not JRiver) and require Windows.

Let me ask you again:  What information about these files do you have in MC that you want to keep?  In other words, why don't you just import these re-rips as is, and delete your old MC entries for the missing files?

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 06:09:52 am »

Dear Brian,
thank you very much for the extensive and helpful posts.
I am no native English speaking being and in technical questions there are missing too many words to explain what I mean.
A further try, I will explain the situation again:
By case and inattention I deleted some folders with many downloaded and ripped files. All of them had been imported to MC. In nearly all cases I changed in and with MC the metadata and filenames.
Many files - mostly from broadcasts - are irretrievably lost.
But many are nor: I still have all CDs and can re-rip them. In many other cases  I can download the files again. So I have the files and the still existing metadata for the files in MC.
In most of the re-ripped or re-downloaded files the filename and the name written in the filename tag field now are different. Subsequently MC doesn't recognise the file until I manually change the name of the file on the HDD to that copied and pasted from the filename field in MC. The same applies to folders and parent folders. And as far as I could find out (YES I read the tutorials) there is no other way to do so.
Appended are some screen pictures which hopefully will explain what I mean.
Best wishes.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up