INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device  (Read 1727 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device
« on: February 15, 2020, 11:32:27 am »

Using the most recent Android TV version on an Nvidia Shield purchased in December. I keep getting this error when I send from the server to the app on the Shield. Should I be expecting this, as it doesn't work yet, or should I be checking things (i.e., what would I check on the Shield or on the network)? I'm a long time user (since version 15), and I think I have everything in my LAN set-up right, as I've streamed from MC to various devices over the years.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 01:49:18 pm »

Are you using 26.0.29?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 04:01:43 pm »

Are you using a PC running MC as a DLNA Server and DLNA Controller, and the nVidia Shield as a DLNA Renderer?
That is, JRiver for Android running on the nVidia Shield hasn't loaded the Library running on the PC, so it isn't running as a MC Client, correct?
So you are pushing media from the PC to the nVidia Shield, and not using the JRiver for Android on the nVidia Shield to Pull media from the PC?

You're selecting the nVidia Shield as the Zone in MC on the PC?
You're selecting a media file in MC on the PC, and selecting Play?

I just did this to play an MP4 video on my Sony Xperia, which runs the Mobile version of JRiver for Android. It played fine, although once started the Stop button on the PC couldn't stop playback. So there is some control issue.
For Audio, playback and the Stop button worked fine.

If I load the Library from the MC Server running on my PC into JRiver for Android on the Xperia, I can't get the video file to play. Both MC on the PC and JRiver for Android on the Xperia show that they are trying to play, as seen in the Media Network Service on the PC, but the GET command doesn't actually get any data, and there is no Playback command. I have a DLNA Server associated with the Xperia and tried changing video conversion settings, not that they should work, as they aren't Client settings, and should only work when connecting the Xperia as a DLNA Renderer and not a MC Client, but I thought I would try. That didn't work.

Audio played back fine with this connection configuration. i.e. The PC Library loaded on the Xperia.

I didn't get any messages regarding Controlling the DLNA device.

So what are you sending to the Shield, and how are you sending it?

As above, I'm using JRiver for Android Mobile version 26.0.29.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BradATIMA

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 12:50:18 pm »

Using the most recent Android TV version on an Nvidia Shield purchased in December. I keep getting this error when I send from the server to the app on the Shield. Should I be expecting this, as it doesn't work yet, or should I be checking things (i.e., what would I check on the Shield or on the network)? I'm a long time user (since version 15), and I think I have everything in my LAN set-up right, as I've streamed from MC to various devices over the years.

It depends on what kind of content you're sending to the device. If you're trying to play video to an Android TV device as a DLNA renderer, try configuring it not to convert video. I tried playing some h265 videos to a Shield, and they were getting transcoded to mpeg-2, which ExoPlayer wasn't able to play. It was able to play the original format fine.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 07:04:39 pm »

Sorry, I've been on vacation in Florida all week.

@Jim: yes, 26.0.29 when I tried it after I initially wrote, though I see 26.0.30 just downloaded to my phone. I can check out the new version on the Shield when I get back home tomorrow.

@RoderickGI: yes, I was trying it like you had it in your first paragraph: pushing from my PC server (with the most recent version of MC 26 at the time I initially wrote) to the loaded library on the Shield. I can get it to work pulling with the Shield from the PC server, but not the other way (though even this latter seems to work only some of the time, seemingly on only certain files, though I haven't really tested enough to say this definitively). All video conversion for clients is set to "Original" and audio is set to "Don't convert;" and if it matters, 90% of my video files are mkv blu-rays (h.264) with audio in flac containers. I tried sending 2-3 of these latter when I got the error mentioned in this thread's title.

I'm looking at the two movies I tried to send via Teamviewer now, and MC is reporting the codecs as h.264 and ac3, though obviously this latter is in a flac container. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 09:21:09 pm »

@RoderickGI: yes, I was trying it like you had it in your first paragraph:

Well, as I was using the Mobile version of JRiver for Android, rather than the Android TV version, so there could be differences.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up