INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Sync: Folders not being deleted  (Read 661 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Handheld Sync: Folders not being deleted
« on: February 15, 2020, 04:30:25 pm »

Empty folders or folders with only a leftover folder.jpg inside do not get deleted during Handheld Sync and when: "Delete from handheld any file not in sync list" is selected. MC 26.0.22. Update: MC 26.0.29 too.

Thank you.
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Handheld Sync: folders not being deleted
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 05:46:55 pm »

Derek Pert

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:57:36 am »

Yep.

I don't know if it was ever intended to delete empty folders, but to the best of my recollection, it never has.

Handheld Sync is not perfect. It basically just works on the files being synced. Hence the issue in the linked thread.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:36:35 am »

Perhaps JRiver could just re-purpose (a.k.a. cross-purpose) the existing code which already runs at the end of a "Rename, Move & Copy Files...".

That at least identifies empty orphan folders and "cleans house". It does not, however clean folders where there are only old metadata assets (e.g., Folder.jpg).

In both situations: it would be great to see a checkbox option added to the "do you want to delete empty folders..." (paraphrase) dialog.

Or even better, build it into Options with three possibilities, e.g., Never, Prompt, Always.
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Handheld Sync: Folders not being deleted
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 09:13:25 am »

Any hope of this being tackled/considered for improvement? It seems like a blind spot in the Handheld Sync functionality.

For example: I use some date-related rules: every time an album -- once included -- later falls outside the date limit, it leaves behind an "orphaned" folder (and .jpeg) on the device(s).

Can MC integrate a simple remove-empty-folders (with or without folder.jpg present) routine at the end of each Sync?

Without, Sync currently requires some periodic manual housekeeping (not really "sync"). I find empty folders here and there on my car USB stick(s).

Thank you so much.
Derek Pert
Pages: [1]   Go Up