INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save this view...  (Read 441 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Save this view...
« on: February 15, 2020, 05:32:15 pm »

I just backed up 26 Views using the "Save this view..." function in the view customization advanced panel.

Each time, I had to clear the "My View" default Name, and replace it with the actual name of the View I was saving.

Wouldn't it be better to default the Name field to = the existing/actual View Name?

When would anyone want a custom View already named "XYZ" to be saved with the name "My View"?

Thank you.
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Save this view...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 01:29:37 am »

I agree with you, your observation makes a lot of sense. There are however, many other things that should be considered along with this.

Honestly, as a backup option, this is not a very economic or streamlined solution.
MC makes regular, automatic, library backups, and, you can also make your own in just a few mouse clicks using the "File > Library > Backup Library" option. All of your library views are included in these backups.

I understand that you may have had a different use case for these saved views other than purely backup, to which end, the quoted text from 2012 below may be of some use to you.

• Saved Views: Right at the start of this exercise, there was the "View Picker" with its little thumbnails and descriptions of predefined views that could be loaded with a double click. The theory here is that if you hit "Load view" that same view picker opens and you would pick a saved view to load. In practice, most often the view you want isn't there because it does not match the media types of the location you want to add it to. Similarly, the "Save view" option is fraught with issues. For example, there is a browse button in the save dialogue, but, if you save the view anywhere other than the default location offered, it will not be presented as a "Load view" option, ever, and there is no way to browse for a saved view from the "Load View" tool. Views are saved as jvi files, but these are not associated with Media Center, and when forced, Media Center does not know what to do with saved view files when opening them from the hard drive. In my experience, best practice is to forego these two altogether and rely on library backups to preserve the view layout, and when you want to have a view copied, just drag and drop it where you want it in tree, and when you drop, you will get a "Move / Copy?" option. Minor tweaking after copying is a breeze compared to fighting with the "Save / Load" views options.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:03:02 am »

Coming next build:
Changed: The "Save this view..." command on the Customize View dialog will use the view name instead "My View".

Just let me know if there's anything else.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 11:40:35 am »

Wow! Thanks! It was a small enough thing, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

You said: "Just let me know if there's anything else..." Are you sure?  ;D I've been pretty active posting similar observations/suggestions lately, especially re: Handheld Sync.
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up