INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I really would love to see cbz/cbr support  (Read 1234 times)

Sangie

• Recent member
I really would love to see cbz/cbr support
« on: February 17, 2020, 12:00:59 am »

I have been searching for a good way to organize my doujinshi in a logical way as other apps like YAC and Comickaze don't support custom fields like Media Center does. Doujinshi usually don't have issue numbers, story arcs, publisher, etc, but it does have parody, characters, genre, etc. I can't get other apps to work with it. I know MC26 can, but my problems is it can't read the first item in the zip/rar to figure out the cover art. The tutorial I read had you manually assign a jpeg to comic by putting them all in individual folders and switching to video and back to data BLECH

So yes please add CBZ support please <3

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: I really would love to see cbz/cbr support
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 07:24:00 am »

It looks like they're just data files.  Is adding the extension to our list good enough, or are you looking for us to read metadata from the file?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:59:54 am »

I'm guessing that the OP would like for the cover to be automatically displayed on these files.  This post, which you've probably read before, has some details about how to use these files with MC. 

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87545.0

In particular:

-----
Covers for comics can be obtained by:
Make a copy of the Comic.
Change the extention to rar or zip.
Extract rar or zip to folder.
The first jpg in the folder will be the cover.
-----

Seems like that could be built in to MC with some effort.

Brian.

Sangie

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 01:04:31 pm »

That's a lot of work when you have 3,000+ CBZs...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 07:57:08 am »

I'll make a coming build support CBZ files and thumbnail them.

I'm just using the first JPEG I find after decompressing (and there are a lot of JPEGs in some CBZ files).  Let me know if you know a better way.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:21:00 am »

I just got a little help from Hendrik and now CBR files are thumbnailing as well.  Thanks for the idea :)

Sangie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 09:58:31 pm »

Oh sweet! Just make sure it can also read the first jpeg OR the first png as both formats are used in cbz/cbrs.

Would it be possible to make an xml file or something within the file to store metadata?

That's so cool you'll be implementing it.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 12:26:34 am »

The tutorial I read had you manually assign a jpeg to comic by putting them all in individual folders and switching to video and back to data BLECH
Cover art for comics did get some more work since that tutorial. For the last couple years cover art showed up automatically if there was a jpg with the same name as the cbz/cbr. At least on the windows version. Basically the same as video cover art. Using MC's rename tools it can be done for thousands of comics with very little effort. I'm just saying, I'm not opposing automatic thumbnails.

Would it be possible to make an xml file or something within the file to store metadata?
In MC's settings you can do a search for "sidecar" and turn on sidecars for data. In theory it will place an xml beside the file not in it. I haven't tested it with comics though. Is there a standard format for tagging comics? I know ComicRack saved tags in an xml in cbz only (cbr is proprietary). ComicRack has been dead for years and I don't know of any other software currently doing it.

Sangie

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 10:23:10 am »

The program ComicKaze supports CBZs and saves the XML within the zip file with all the metadata it uses. The problem with ComicKaze is you can't define fields and you can't choose how to organize files on your hard drive. https://abbey-code.com/comickaze

Sadly it costs money to even download it so you can't try it. I did end up buying it but didn't like how it organized files on the drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up