INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server / Tivo questions  (Read 1398 times)

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Server / Tivo questions
« on: April 28, 2003, 05:53:32 pm »

I am finding that when I  play a web media (such as Radio Paradise or SomaFM) at least twice throughout a song, the bandwidth speed will dip real low and eventually to zero.  Then the speed will show "Waiting (# seconds).  I don't lose the connection, because it evenutally picks back up.  I just hear the silence.  I'm not crying "bug," just wondering if I have everthing configured ideally with Media Server because I don't have the same "burps" whenver I listen to the streams within Media Center.

The streams I listen to are primarily 128kbs (though I have experienced the same with 64kbs).  The Media Server / Tivo transmission rate is set at 320kbs (I was thinking the faster the better).  But I have also tried by lowering it down to 128kbs.  I'm using a D-link wireless USB on the Tivo to connect to the D-link router.  Does anyone have any suggestions to improve performance?  I have the latest MC build and the latest firmware on the router.

Another question: Once a stream is started, why does it have to keep communicating to the Media Server?  I remember someone saying in the Tivo forum that with Tivo Publisher once you start a stream, you can turn off the computer that publishes the music and it would still play the stream.  This doesn't seem to be the case with Media Center.

Thanks!

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Media Server / Tivo questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 07:32:07 am »

HI Millertivo,

What else is on the network? Check for bursts of activity that take bandwidth from the TiVo Media Server connection.

How do you set the Media Server/TiVo transmission rate?

Can TiVo publisher do streams? I thought it was limited to files. In any case, you are correct: Media Server is pulling down the stream info, and possible converting the data to MP3 format as well, so you cannot turn it off and have the TiVo keep playing.

j

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 04:23:38 am »

Thanks for your reply John.  I wasn't able to check for bursts of activity when I got home, because of all the inactivity which I reporter here:
:)

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1051705056

When I said set the Tivo transmission rate, I meant that I set the Tivo Format Conversion MP3 stream bitrate to 320kbs under the Tivo options in Media Server.  On closer looker, that probably isn't anything related to my problem, is it.

In any case, I'm completely down now.  The only thing I did different from the previos day was install build 163 and 164.  I also was successfully using Media Server on my laptop (the same one I use at home) at work to stream to my desktop computer at work.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 04:28:58 am »

Please use the TiVo HMO Instructions thread for all TiVo problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up