INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD INFO using 'net  (Read 627 times)

Knitman

• Recent member
CD INFO using 'net
« on: February 20, 2020, 06:54:40 pm »

I just discovered that the cd info MC 25 gets is pretty awful. Either I will have to type it in, assuming I know it, or have to import as AIFF using Music because it  gets all the right info, and then use MC to convert it all to FLAC.

Unless ALAC is just as good as FLAC in which case I can just use MC25 for playback because as yet have found no program that comes close to being as good as.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: CD INFO using 'net
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 07:02:54 pm »

The CD lookup in MC is pretty good.  Try a few.

Classical is harder because everyone tags differently.

ALAC and FLAC are both lossless, so the sound is identical.

Knitman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 08:28:10 am »

The CD lookup in MC is pretty good.  Try a few.

I would never comment based on just a couple of cd's. I recorded a dozen or so. It was only when I looked at the destination file did I discover that most of the info was missing. For example, it didn't know that Kate Bush's The Kick Inside Remastered in 2016 was not the 1978 recording. All of the remastered set has to be redone as some had year unknown so Before The Dawn in 3 Act was filed in different places and would not play in order.. I recorded Enigma, with similar problems, Sinead O'Conner, Western Cowboy(Springsteen-who'd have thunk it?) and all them had no year or wrong year or some other missing data.

However, if ALAC is the same as FLAC, with same play back properties and same size files, then I need only record it all in Music as 1. it's easier and 2. I can sure the info is accurate.

I have everything recorded in AIFF. I only have a 1tb ssd in this new MBPro. I have used over 50% already. Hence the need to conserve space.

I just realized I can convert an AIFF to both ALAC and FLAC  and see for myself if there is a difference.

You may recall I am post severe brain injury. I have not become stupid, just forgetful.(liker may 14 to Sept 19 gone) Someone kindly gave me the info on how to transfer over all my settings from MC 25 to MC 26 but I can't recall where they put it.                                                                           

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 09:02:15 am »

Thanks for the reminder of the brain injury.  We know something about that here.

Here's the post you may have been thinking of:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124063.msg859270.html#msg859270
Pages: [1]   Go Up