INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder sharing between servers  (Read 567 times)

CHaun

• World Citizen
Folder sharing between servers
« on: February 24, 2020, 12:25:08 pm »

I have 2 computers. One is the media server and the other is running as a client.  The client has a TV tuner attached (Ceton USB) which works great except that I have to switch between libraries every time I want to watch TV on the client computer.  I was wondering if there would be issues if I made the client into a second server and shared folders from the media server.  I could map the drives so that the drive letters wouldn't change, but would it still mess up tagging with 2 servers auto-importing the same folders?  Or is there a better way to accomplish the library switching problem?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Folder sharing between servers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 04:20:16 pm »

There is a better way.

Unfortunately, I don't do it, so I can't provide details. I couldn't find the specific references in the Release Notes either, so I can't say for sure in what version the functionality was added.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that you can now use a local tuner attached to a Client, while it is acting as a Client to a remote MC Server. You might need to search around in the Television forum and look at pinned threads, plus search the Wiki. There was a lot of discussion about it in the forum at one stage.

Oh, wait. Here we go. "Options > Television > Advanced > Allow setup on clients".

25.0.11 (3/13/2019)
5. Changed: On a client with TV channels and EPG setup enabled, the status line in Standard television view will show both the server status and the client status.
7. Changed: Automatic background EPG loading setting is no longer ignored on clients if "Allow setup on clients" option is on.
9. Fixed: MC did not wake up to perform television recording on clients.
15. Fixed: The status of currently recording TV shows were not consistently displayed across the client-server network, i.e. a show recording on a client was not flagged as such on the server, and vice versa.

25.0.10 (2/25/2019)
7. NEW: Television channels and EPG can be set up using a client, with the results saved on the server.
8. Changed: When resetting all TV channels from a client, the channel order setting on the server is reset.
10. NEW: Television tuners on clients are allowed to be used for recording shows to server library.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 04:38:53 pm »

I should have clarified that my problem isn't with recording, it's with watching live TV on the computer that ha the tuner attached.  I have to switch to main library to watch live tv and switch back out to media server library to watch anything else.  I was hoping to just add the media folders to main library while it's still being served on the media server.

I checked your suggestion, but the tuners don't show up on the media server computer for tv setup, nor do they show up under television while using the server's library on the client.

Thank you though, it was a great suggestion.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 05:42:37 pm »

If you add the media folders to the Main Library on the Client, you will then need to maintain two Libraries; the Main Library on the Client and the Main Library on the Server. That isn't usually a good solution. For a start, the Main Library on the Client isn't being served from the MC Server. The Client Library is just a copy of the Server Library, and it is refreshed (over-written) every time the Client is started.

I thought that Live TV worked on the Client with this new functionality. You do need to do TV Setup on the Client I think. But I don't have a tuner on my Client, so I have never tried to set this up.

I think either IAmEric or TZR916 was the main user for this functionality. Search the forum for the discussion and you might be able to confirm if Live TV is supported or not.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 06:03:59 pm »

The tuner is physically on the client and not the server.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 08:05:20 pm »

The tuner is physically on the client and not the server.

I understood that. Everything above still applies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up