INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC hangs - import xml from iTunes  (Read 1338 times)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
MC hangs - import xml from iTunes
« on: February 26, 2020, 05:23:30 am »

MC hangs when I want to import an .xml file created with iTunes.
I wanted to import my podcast list.
Frank

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC hangs - import xml from iTunes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 09:48:32 am »

It could take several minutes, so maybe try just waiting a bit longer?  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

abcoblentz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:48:27 am »

I am having the same issue too. I waited at least half an hour and still not responding. I must admit my iTunes library contains 50,000+ tracks. Perhaps I need to wait as well? aliciaviola, how did you fare?
Thanks!

abcoblentz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:02:59 am »

I am having the same issue too. I waited at least half an hour and still not responding. I must admit my iTunes library contains 50,000+ tracks. Perhaps I need to wait as well? aliciaviola, how did you fare?
Thanks!
Well, I let it run this time, took about 9 hours. While all the playlists did load, none of the audio tracks were imported. Does that have to be done independently?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:20:02 am »

The first step should be importing the files.  Maybe make sure the filenames point to where the files still are located?  I also asked Bob to test on Mac, because it was coded on Windows.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:57:17 am »

It's working for Bob on the Mac.  Could you email me the XML file?  I'm matt at jriver.

Thanks!

abcoblentz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 01:12:54 pm »

So I imported the files, no problem. Then I ran the iTunes import, which took upwards of 12 hours. While it did import those playlists, they were all empty. No files have been moved. I did notice that the external drive that I keep my music on was not being accessed during the iTunes import, if that helps any. I would send you the .xml file but it is 200mb. I would need to use dropbox or iCloud to share.

Thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 04:10:08 pm »

So I imported the files, no problem. Then I ran the iTunes import, which took upwards of 12 hours. While it did import those playlists, they were all empty. No files have been moved. I did notice that the external drive that I keep my music on was not being accessed during the iTunes import, if that helps any. I would send you the .xml file but it is 200mb. I would need to use dropbox or iCloud to share.

Thanks
You can easily do a 1 time send of data that size with firefox send using any browser. https://send.firefox.com and PM me with the link. Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 10:51:27 am »

Thanks
The xml file looks good to us.
What format is the external drive in? Can you read and write it?
Note that MC will not move the files, just add them to it's database if everything is working properly.

abcoblentz

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 11:24:27 am »

Thanks. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using GUID. I was using an old clone of my media external drive. I'm going to do a fresh clone and go from there again. I was just trying importing to MC from a backup in case of any hiccups, my current data would not be affected.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 11:37:21 am »

Thanks. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using GUID. I was using an old clone of my media external drive. I'm going to do a fresh clone and go from there again. I was just trying importing to MC from a backup in case of any hiccups, my current data would not be affected.
Ok, let us know how it goes. I'm wondering if you didn't have write permission on it (though that shouldn't be required) or there were some extended permissions we aren't handling.

abcoblentz

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 11:45:01 am »

Right. Curiously I tried using the library on there to launch iTunes from to see if something was wrong, and I got an error about permissions. Hard to tell too cause I was using the VM to run High Sierra since I primarily am now on Catalina, which means using an older version of macOS is necessary to use iTunes, which sort of leads to why I'm exploring options like MC!  :P

abcoblentz

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 04:47:35 pm »

Same process and results this time as well, unfortunately. I have noticed that during this hang during import, the external drive with the files isn't lighting up with activity.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 07:48:33 am »

Maybe you don't need to import iTunes XML.  What information are you trying to transfer?  If it's just song, album, artist, etc, all of that should be imbedded inside your music files.  So you should be able to import them from disk without using itunes XML.  It's worth a try; maybe on a test library?

Brian.

abcoblentz

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 10:58:21 am »

I have been able to import my media files without trouble. I am trying to import XML so I have all my metadata and playlists that are not stored in the media files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up