INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Must...acquire....new iPod!  (Read 3391 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Must...acquire....new iPod!
« on: April 28, 2003, 09:43:17 am »

And run it with AAC encoding via MC!!

Lots of music announcements from Apple today--new iPods at 10, 15, 30GB, FireWire & USB 2, new iTunes 4, new downloadable music service.... etc., etc....

Jim, any announcements that JRiver wants to make?.... :)

Brad

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: Must...acquire....new iPod!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 10:06:03 am »

Aye, new iPods will support AAC.  It'd be keen if MC9 did too.  :D

Steve, sir...

It's still unclear whether or not the new/upgraded iPods will have the same database format.  It's been constant from 1.2 to 1.2.6.

They say there's a software update coming today sometime.  Is there any support that I can give you before/during/after I upgrade my iPod?
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

fex

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 10:11:17 am »

Apple did change the frontside of the homepage in the last few seconds: http://www.apple.com .

Kurt Young

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 10:11:23 am »

Edit:

iPod software 1.3 is availble here:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

It's touting AAC as "Mac only" but this could very well mean that it's supported software, MusicMatch Jukebox, doesn't support AAC.  It could still be very possible to use it via MC.

Of course, if they just disabled it, like they did playcounts, then it won't work.  Onward into the undiscovered country!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 10:13:13 am »

fex

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 10:13:42 am »

"Windows version available early May" :-/

Kurt Young

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 10:16:49 am »

Woot!

Dig this from http://www.apple.com/ipod/autosync.html:

Song rating
Use iPod to rate songs instantly. Smart Playlists will automatically update and sync to your Mac.

You know what this means, aye?

Steve, please put this on your list:  Make the ratings translate from iPod to MC, so that we can rate music on the go and have it transferred to our MC libraries!  (if they left it enabled on WinniePods, that is.  Sigh.)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 10:48:00 am »

Well, besides the new hardware, the killer features are actually in iTunes: AAC encoding, shuffle by album, and the Rendevous sharing of other Mac's music libraries.

I know AAC would be possible in MC--given the codec being implemented. Since QuickTime is the engine that drives AAC/MP4 on the Mac, does anyone know if the Windows implementation of QT does AAC/MP4? Maybe MC's QT support can get it for "free".

I'd love to shuffle by album (ie. keep the track order of the albums intact, but play a random selection of full albums), but I can't seem to make MC do this....

I suspect that the Rendevous sharing may be easier than first expected, especially with the new TiVO support. I'd love to do some cross-platform music sharing....

Any thoughts?
Brad

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 10:53:02 am »

Kurt,

Thanks for the offer. You are the iPod vanguard.

Once the update comes out we can all take our chances and hope that the database format hasn't become unrecongnizable.

Steve

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 10:54:18 am »

This is great news.  Let's just hope that "early May" means May 1st.  I haven't tried AAC yet, but I am glad that all of my recent rips have been to lossless format so that the change from MP3 to AAC will be somewhat painless.  Do any of you have experience with AAC?

zevele10

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 11:03:24 am »

-=-=-=-= Do any of you have experience with AAC? -=-

I can get albums on AAC.
Let me know the player i can use to listen to them.

PS: NOT WinAmp

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 11:20:40 am »

Zevele,

Foobar2000 will play them.  

http://foobar2000.hydrogenaudio.org/

zevele10

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2003, 01:35:13 pm »

OK
Not now. It is Holocaust memorial day and i do not play music.
I will try and let you know.
I can send songs to you if you know a way. I do not know how big they are.
Now if you are ready to spend $10 ,go there:

http://www.[web site removed].com/index2.shtml
If you want to learn more ,have a look at the Emusic forum here.
In Lame 192 ABR ,one album= $1 ,average.
USE PAYPAL

zevele10

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2003, 02:51:30 pm »

-=-=We were able to negotiate landmark deals with all of the major labels," he said of the company's newly launched iTunes Music Store. "There is no legal alternative that's worth beans." -=-=-

Very sorry Mister Steve Jobs . But at $1 the song ANY p2p is still the only fair price solution.

MachineHead

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2003, 02:52:09 pm »

Media Center will play AAC. Have done it on several occasions when testing out AAC. Tags are another matter though...

Kurt Young

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2003, 03:02:47 pm »

Further questions about AAC for Jim (if he's still got his ears on, :D)

I've just run a search and found posts that say "MC will play AAC, but the tags are messy."  And then there's a post by Steve saying that MC9 doesn't do AAC.  As a complete AAC newbie, I guess here are my natural questions:

1.  Does MC9 ship with an AAC encoder/decoder?  If not...

2.  Can I download/install an AAC encoder/decoder that'll work with MC9?  Can someone give me a link?  If not...

3.  How does an AAC plugin rate on your list of things to do before you ship?  :D :D :D

4.  I'm not sure what "tags are messy" means, but tags nonwithstanding, can I use MC's library to add all the information about AAC songs just like I currently do for my MP3 collection?

After all, Steve's plugin only feeds my iPod the data from MC9's library... no tags involved.  So even if I can't tag AAC files, as long as I can populate MC9's library, it should be incorporatable with the new iPod firmware.

I'm still holding out hope that the "on the fly ratings" and playcount/last-playeddate features will be available for WinniePod users with this new firmware.  If so, Steve, my friend, you're the man with the implementation plan, aye?  ;D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

MachineHead

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2003, 03:33:29 pm »

MC will not tag an AAC file. Hence messy. MC might make adjustments for its internal DB when adding info about these files. In other words, it'll say failed to update tags or something, but still make changes in Media Library for example.

Find Rarewares (Google).

Read about AAC at HA. Plenty of discussion there.

Encoder might be a liscensing problem for J River, not sure. But Nero has the ability to rip-encode AAC. Properly.

And then there's a post by Steve saying that MC9 doesn't do AAC

Steve needs to be more creative.  ;)

Kurt Young

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2003, 03:37:02 pm »

Steve needs to be more creative.  ;)

Steve needs to put my pretty iPod icon in for the next build. ;D ;D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2003, 04:19:11 pm »

Just me talkin' here, and well, I haven't even seen the iPod plugin for either program (because I'm not buying one until next month, when I can use my USB2):

Somebody needs to crack open the skulls of the people at Apple and see that MusicMatch is what is killing them!  Last night I was looking on Amazon.com, and the comments under the 20GB Windows iPod, even if 5 Stars, said that MusicMatch sucked!  Almost every single one!

Like I said, I haven't gotten mine yet so I don't know how well the MC plugin works, but I bet it works better, at least from what I've seen here.  We really need Apple to wake up!  I mean, how much is MusicMatch paying them?  Well, I guess it was 5 years ago, but I couldn't stand that software for more than 2 days!

And, heck, MC or even MJ are much more akin to the quality software that is iTunes.  I know that those Apple people don't want to be bothered with making their own Windows version of iTunes, but they should at least get something that is worth using!

Thanks for letting me rant.

Dan "da Man"
[ what if i stumble? / and what if i fall? ]

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2003, 05:45:11 pm »

Also, to those who thought you should be able to burn it and then rip it, think again:
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,447333,00.html

Apparently Fortune tried it, and it doesn't work.

Oh well, at this point, I just can't wait to get my iPod.  Although, I'm not too happy that the article says they make as much money off an iPod as they do an iMac.  Oh well.

Dan "da Man"

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2003, 07:58:13 pm »

MC will not tag an AAC file. Hence messy. MC might make adjustments for its internal DB when adding info about these files. In other words, it'll say failed to update tags or something, but still make changes in Media Library for example.

Okay...being just a simple Macintosh user I need some help. I'm gathering that there is/are plugin(s) that allow MC9 to play MP4/AAC -encoded files.

I found the rarewares site and it has a page with 10-20 AAC-related files. Can anyone give me an overview (or detailed-view) of how to make this work?

For giggles, I encoded a couple of files with iTunes 4 into the AAC format, but MC didn't like them with either the .m4a or .aac file extensions.

Any ideas?
Brad

MachineHead

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2003, 12:51:47 am »

Add the in_faad.dll and in_mp4.dll to the plug-ins. Try and click on the file from Explorer. This was easier with MJ. MC might balk at the process, but will usually play the file.

Part of the reason might be these are winamp plug-ins.

fex

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2003, 03:04:08 am »

...It's touting AAC as "Mac only" but this could very well mean that it's supported software, MusicMatch Jukebox, doesn't support AAC..

This is wrong. MusicMatch Jukebox supports AAC quite a long time (since release of version 6.0).

Press release dated November 14, 2000:
http://www.musicmatch.com/info/company/press/releases/?year=2000&release=42

retrospek

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Hello !
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2003, 09:59:02 am »

Okay - so I couldn't resist and have just ordered one of these new toys... ::)

But I found that no where in the order process did it ask if I wanted an IPOD for Windows or MAC.  

I always thought they had a different version of the IPOD for either the MAC or Windows version.?

Does this mean the IPOD can work on either machine??

Anyone know ?

Thanks - can't wait for it to arrive...

Mark
UK

P.S. I sure hope MC can work with my new toy...

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2003, 02:01:39 pm »

The new iPods have Windows and Mac support in the same box.

Which, I think, is a good thing... no need for two when they're so similar, I think.

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up