INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuner stops recording when switching to a media server  (Read 1391 times)

CHaun

• World Citizen
Tuner stops recording when switching to a media server
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:56:31 pm »

I have a client PC with a USB Ceton tuner that I had to start using for live TV and recordings because of the death of WMC. The tuner and recording works great inside of JRiver, but if I want to watch a movie from my main media server I have to load the other library which stops all recordings on the client.

Is there any workaround for this? The media server is not strong enough to handle the TV recording or I would just move the tuner.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tuner stops recording when switching to a media server
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:39:54 pm »

You can record on a server and view on a client.  Take a look at Library Server on our wiki.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 06:19:00 pm »

As per our previous discussion here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124303.0.html I think what you need is in the recently added functionality, as per this thread;
NEW: Television tuners on clients are allowed to be used for recording

I think that will work correctly for both Live TV and Recordings, if set up correctly. Have another look at it, and if you can't get it working, perhaps ask in the above announcement thread.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 08:30:46 pm »

@ JimH - The server doesn't record, but the client does.

@ RoderickGI - I appreciate the help, but the reason I made a new discussion is because I've tried the setup on that thread and it doesn't work. You can't run TV setup on the server with no tuner attached and when I'm on the server library on the client PC there are no channels and no tuners. I have to switch back to the local library to watch and record TV.

The client local folder for timeshift and recording is U:\RecordedTV and the server is mapped to the clients U: drive root and the path is also U:\RecordedTV

I am attaching pictures
Pic 1: Media Server - Error when setting up TV on server
Pic 2: Media Server - Enable client recording is checked
Pic 3: Client attached to media server library - No tuner available error
Pic 4: Client attached to local library - All TV and recording functions working properly.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:13:29 pm »

There is another setting you need to turn on which I think will fix problem 3. "Options > Television > Advanced > Allow setup on clients"
You need to also set up drive mappings, EPG collection, and so on.

I linked to two threads. Was it the second announcement thread that you read? NEW: Television tuners on clients are allowed to be used for recording It wasn't clear if you had from your post.

If you haven't read that second thread, I recommend that you do, and if you still have problems, post in that thread to get help. Yaobing will see your posts (probably already has seen these) and can help more than I can.

Note: I did think that this, your problem 1, may be an issue:
You can't run TV setup on the server with no tuner attached

I'm not sure if that is catered for in the current functionality. I don't have the hardware to test. Well, not easily. No time today either. Sorry.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:33:41 pm »

Unfortunately, Allow setup on clients is checked on the media server. I checked it on the client just to be sure, but it didn't make any difference.

I think another issue might lie in the fact that I have to enable media network sharing and dnla on the client in order for the software to identify the tuner. Perhaps this works if somehow the client is able to be set up without being it's own media network server.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 06:41:05 am »

Did you try ignoring server setup and run Setup directly on the client?  On the server just run TV Options to set appropriate settings.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 07:39:57 am »

I set all the options that I could manually including perc data. On the server it shows nothing under tuner profiles and I can't do anything about that.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 08:15:47 am »

Don't worry about tuner profiles.  Just go to client, make sure it is connected properly with the server, and run TV Setup from there.

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 11:09:24 am »

Should I be setting up the client as a media network server? I don't know if that is part of the problem, but the client would not detect it's own tuner until I enabled that (I was directed to enable that and dlna from the tv setup wizard).

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 03:08:51 pm »

Should I be setting up the client as a media network server? I don't know if that is part of the problem, but the client would not detect it's own tuner until I enabled that (I was directed to enable that and dlna from the tv setup wizard).

Yes, that is required if you need to run a network tuner (such as Ceton, or HDHomeRun).  It is OK to turn that option on on a client.  Here I assume you meant the Media Network option "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA."

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 03:32:36 pm »

Yes.

I have played around with it for a while and I've made some headway. I can now connect to the media server library from the client and run the TV setup properly on the client. Live TV works, but I haven't checked recording yet.

The issue now is that when I reboot the client PC, all of the TV setup information is lost and I have to run setup again.

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 03:59:51 pm »

I think I may have hit the root of the issues. When I connect to the remote library everything is okay, but when I set up TV on the client I get an error synchronizing changes to the server. Authentication is enabled on both sides with the same user name and password although it never asks me for a username or password when I connect to the main server.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 04:11:43 pm »

If authentication is set on the server, you will see a login and password.  Double check and then reboot both machines.

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 04:41:33 pm »

Somehow the client had been attaching to the server all along without a user name or password, because I realize now that I was never being presented with a logon challenge. No idea what caused it or how long it had been going on (something I never notice unless it's there). Anyway, I completely uninstalled all versions of JRiver on the client with Revo uninstaller (not sure if the extra scrubbing was necessary) and reinstalled the client from scratch. Got the logon challenge and now everything is working as intended. :facepalm:

What's extra weird is that I had never been presented with the sync error dialog either until I got to the point where it would actually configure the tuner while connected to the server library.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and hopefully I didn't frustrate anyone as badly as I was.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 04:46:18 pm »

Yes, for this to work, the server must allow the client to make changes and sync the changes to the server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up