INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Art Question  (Read 1554 times)

proton32060

• Recent member
Album Art Question
« on: March 06, 2020, 08:01:51 pm »

I have been using JRiver for years and I have a question about how JRiver rips Cd’s and what it does with the album art.

I have ripped all my Cd’s into Flac files with Media Center on to my hard drive and that is how I play them. As you know, when you play a flac file from a CD you have ripped the album art comes up in JRiver as the song plays.

The point to all this is I am having a high end audio system put in my car ( that has no internet access) and while the guy at the audio store was playing various albums through a USB drive he plugged into the stereo the album art for the different songs would come up on the screen while the song was playing.

The thumb drive he was using had dozens of named folders on it representing the albums he had ripped and placed on it. You could go from one album folder to the next and while that song from that album played the corresponding album art would display on the screen.   

I asked him where the stereo was getting the album art from and was it on a jpeg file in the various album directories.
He had no idea.
 So we pulled the flash drive and plugged it into a Windows machine and all that was in the folders were the songs with no image files.
In the end he had no idea where the album art was coming from or where the stereo was getting the image to display.

So I called Kenwood and asked them.

They told me the stereo was getting the album art from the audio file itself and not from any external source.  I didn’t think it was possible but they said an audio file could have the album art embedded in the flac file itself.
I never knew an audio file could have an image file embedded into it but according to Kenwood they can and do. So every time the stereo plays an audio file it gets and displays the album art from the individual audio file itself, not from any external source.

So here is the question prefaced with a statement.
I always thought when you ripped a CD with JRiver it would identify the CD, search the internet for the album art, and then place the album art for that CD in the Library.
 So whenever you played a file back  JRiver would pull the album art from the Library and that is where the album art displayed came from.   

So here is the question.

When you rip a CD with JRiver does it embed the album art into the individual Flac files themselves as it writes them on the hard drive or does it store the image somewhere else and pull it out of the Library when you play the song?

And if it does not embed the album art into each Flac file it creates is there a way to make it do it?

Note: I have recently re-ripped all my CD’s using Media Center 26.

This is something I never thought of or even worried about.
But with this new high end car stereo it has become an issue.
Any information or help would be much appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Album Art Question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 09:26:13 pm »

The art can be stored in the audio file or not, depending on how the MC option is set. 

proton32060

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 09:36:39 pm »

Where is this option and how do I set it?
If you tell me where it is and what it is supposed to be set to I can check to see if it is set that way or if I have to change it and re-rip every CD.
Lord, I hope it does it by default.
It has taken me two weeks to re-rip all of my Cd's.
So simply, where is the option and how should it be set?

Look, this is the first time in years I needed JRiver support.
I am going to give it to you straight.
You develop software and you depend on your users to not only use your software but to pay for it.
I have paid for every upgrade you released for the last 10 years.
Not because I needed it, what I had worked  fine and was all I needed.
All the options you have included in the various upgrades meant nothing to me.
All I ever cared about was your bouncing boxes in your 3d visualizations and keeping you in business.

I paid for your upgrades simply to keep you in business.
And I have done it for 10 years.
This is the first time I needed your help.
Tell me what settings I need  to embed Album art into the individual Flac files  and I will be happy.
That is all I want.

I am not a troll.
I am one of the people who have paid to keep you in business for over a decade.
For the first time in 10 years , I need your help.
Tell me what settings and where they are to embed album art into ripped CD flac files and I will be happy.
That is all I want.

I hate to put it this way, but I will.
I am a 62 year old Doctor who pays to keep you in business, not because I need your latest upgrades, but because I want to keep you in business.
And for the first time in 10 years I need your help.

Tell me what settings to use to embed album art into individual flac files and not only will you make me happy but you will ensure a dependable income stream as long as you want to keep JRiver Media Center alive.
That is all I want.
I hate to be blunt, but I have been an income stream for your business for years.
For the first time in years I need your help, please tell me how to make Media Center embed album art into flac files and I will not only be happy but will pay you for all future upgrades.
That does not sound like an unreasonable proposition.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 06:39:07 am »

There is a search window at the bottom of the options page.  Tools > Options.

Or you could try this:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124361.0.html

w_axlrose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 10:47:17 am »

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields

Scroll down to find "Image File" and tick the box that says "Save in file tags (when possible)"

For your existing ripped tracks you may need to select them and click Library Tools > Update Tags (from Library)

You should be able to see that it's working by browsing to your files in Windows Explorer. If it has then the default file icon should have been replaced with the album art.

proton32060

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 07:24:44 pm »

Thanks guys and I apologize for getting testy.
Do you know how long it takes to rip 500 CD's only to think you might have to do it again?

Plus,  ( which isn't any of you guys fault) I am in healthcare and we are trying to get a handle on how to deal with Patients in my office and prevent the chance of them getting each other sick.
And before someone asks we don't know any more than you do beyond the point it is going to spread all over the Country and a large part of the population is going to become infected.
There is no way to stop it.
I am in Daytona and they are having Bike Week right now in spite of the fact the age Demographic has gotten so old they are the most vulnerable of getting seriously ill.
But they are having it anyway so as a result there are a lot of people who will get exposed here and spread it all over the southeast.
So thanks for the help and sorry I got irritable.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 07:37:37 pm »

You deserve a lot of credit for expressing any regret.  We're cheering for you in what you face.  We know it's an incredibly challenging task.  I wish you all the luck you can find.  And thank you for your service.

w_axlrose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 05:43:02 am »

Thanks guys and I apologize for getting testy.
Do you know how long it takes to rip 500 CD's only to think you might have to do it again?

Kind of. Back in the late 90s I ripped all my CDs to mp3. By 2005 I did the whole lot again in flac format.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 01:20:31 pm »

Luckily for you - you do not have to re-rip - as long as you have the cover art files handy. You can simply highlight an album's worth of files - right click them and choose Cover Art->Add From File. Select your album cover from your local drive and it will embed the art to all your files.

It will take a bit of work but it's better than re-ripping everything.

Cheers

VP

MikeO

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 09:41:46 am »

Try a demo of Tag&Rename , it has a tool to copy folder art into the file tag

Open the music folder, select all, select the tool , brew coffee wait 🙄

You may even like it enough to buy it , it cheap $30

https://www.softpointer.com/

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 10:24:38 am »

Try a demo of Tag&Rename , it has a tool to copy folder art into the file tag

Open the music folder, select all, select the tool , brew coffee wait 🙄

You may even like it enough to buy it , it cheap $30

https://www.softpointer.com/

Why?  MC has had the ability to add Album Art to tracks from external image files for ages!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

MikeO

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 11:11:07 am »

Cos it’s quick and effortless

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 06:17:28 pm »

In addition to the above, for any future rips to automatically place the Cover Art into the file, tick "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in the file's tag".

You can also check if the Cover Art image is already in a file by selecting the file, opening the Tag Window, and looking at the "Image" item. If it says "Inside file" underneath the image, your image has already been placed in the file.

Also, while I am in Australia, know that the world is thinking of our health care professionals at the moment. You have quite a challenge ahead of you, as do all of us, but yours is far more immediate and ongoing. All strength to you.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 10:10:57 am »

In addition to the above, for any future rips to automatically place the Cover Art into the file, tick "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in the file's tag".

You can also check if the Cover Art image is already in a file by selecting the file, opening the Tag Window, and looking at the "Image" item. If it says "Inside file" underneath the image, your image has already been placed in the file.

Also, while I am in Australia, know that the world is thinking of our health care professionals at the moment. You have quite a challenge ahead of you, as do all of us, but yours is far more immediate and ongoing. All strength to you.

There is also a Smartlist - "Audio -- Task -- No images" that will list out any/all tracks where there is No Album Art Image present.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Vocalpoint

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:26 am »

Cos it’s quick and effortless

Not quite as quick and effortless as right-click and choose "Add from file" in MC

But I get it - I have Tag N Rename here as well - however it mainly gets used for bulk jobs for files not yet part of any MC library.

That said -  certainly not required, not quicker and one can save themselves 30 bucks if all they want to do is embed basic cover art into files that reside in MC.

VP

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 10:44:08 am »

There is also a Smartlist - "Audio -- Task -- No images" that will list out any/all tracks where there is No Album Art Image present.

I have a smart list that reports tracks where Image File Is Not Inside File.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 06:04:14 pm »

All good additional information.

I was keeping it simple, because that seemed like a good idea.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MikeO

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 08:34:55 am »

I read this requirement as a “bulk job”

Tag &rename excels at bulk jobs , that’s why I suggested it

I originally bought it to standardize art to 500x500 across my library (years ago) I still find it useful
Pages: [1]   Go Up