INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolby Atmos and DTS:x decoding in JRiver  (Read 4000 times)

HTPC Videophile

• World Citizen
Dolby Atmos and DTS:x decoding in JRiver
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:17:06 pm »

Paid media players like DVDFab 6 Ultra have the full decoding capability for Doby Atmos and DTS:X . We are all aware that these technologies require licensing fees but then JRiver Media Center is NOT a free open source player either. Is there any scope of JRiver implementing them or is the bulk of the users and testers in the forum only limited to playing flac audio-only files.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dolby Atmos and DTS:x decoding in JRiver
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 05:48:37 am »

Even PowerDVD does not support decoding of Atmos and DTS-X (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerDVD). And they are only legitimate software for decoding BD (affordable software).

DVDFab are famous for their ripping software. I highly doubt Dolby or DTS will license anything to them.

Even if MC did try to license these technologies ... I highly doubt Dolby and DTS will go along ... simply because it’s much easier to reverse engineer something on PC. Very likely reason why PowerDVD does not have it.

AND ... even if this was possible ... it increases price of MC ... for you - you don’t mind as you are happy with addition of Atmos ... what about ppl who don’t use Atmos?

As for DVDFab ... their Atmos “support” is likely just bitstreaming to receiver and letting receiver decode it ... something MC can do already

AND ... even if you could decode Atmos ... say 7.1.4 ... not many ppl have 12 channel sound card
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 06:38:17 am »

Looking on DVDFab's website it states:

"It comes with the ability to output lossless high-resolution audios, such as Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master and DTS:X etc., with up to 7.1 channel output support"

That does not sound like "full decoding capability" it sounds like they support only the core part of the format the same as MC.
But as tij states MC can also bitstream Atmos and DTS-X to a decoder for full channel support.

HTPC Videophile

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 06:42:51 am »

FYI  this is the copy of query i sent to DVD-Fab and the corresponding reply :

To: ashley at dvdfab.com
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 04:46:36 -0500
Subject: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support(technical_support)

Software you order:DVDFab Player 6 Ultra[]
Operating System:Windows 10
Does the Dvdfab Player 6 decode Doby Atmos ans DTS:x content in windows 10 systems or does it just do bit-stream passthrough tho receivers capable of decoding them. please elaborate in detail.

Also is there any scope of DVDFab player providing support for MadVR ?

And this is the reply i received :

Dear Rajesh Kumar Singh,

It can decode Doby Atmos and DTS:x.

No, it does not support madvr.

DVDFab team is working at home from March 2nd due to 2019 nCoV, and is not available in the office. Thus will delay in responding your emails. Thanks for your understanding and patience in advance.

Any questions in future, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely yours,
--
Ashley Liu
DVDFab Service Team

HTPC Videophile

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 07:28:17 am »

The motive for raising this query is this: Just as we all used to put dts decoder dll from TMT(Total media Theater) before the advent of dcadec decoder and later on ffmpeg project including dcadec  project to decode DTS-hdma, can we on the same lines get the doby atmos and  dts:x decoder dll from an installed DVD-Fab player 6 Ultra library and put it in JRiver ?? ;D

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 07:39:11 am »

That can be interpreted differently ... what they might be saying is they can decode Atmos and DTS-X ... what they might not be saying is - they only decode base layer of Atmos and DTS-X (TrueHD/EAC3 and HDMA respectively).

Note that they never explicitly say they can decode object base sound in Atmos and DTS-X.

See their web page

https://m.dvdfab.cn/compare-standard-ultra

Note how they put Dolby TrueHD Atmos (7.1) ... that awfully smells like they only decode base layer

In the end ... do you yourself have sound-card with more than 8 outputs? ... if no, what’s the point of decoding it if you cannot even output height channels

Ask yourself ... if you were Dolby ... would you license something (and in the process handing over them algorithm to decode that) to company who sole existence is build on breaking copy protection (no disrespect to DVDFab intended as they provide me with tools to rip my discs)?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 07:41:32 am »

The motive for raising this query is this: Just as we all used to put dts decoder dll from TMT(Total media Theater) before the advent of dcadec decoder and later on ffmpeg project including dcadec  project to decode DTS-hdma, can we on the same lines get the doby atmos and  dts:x decoder dll from an installed DVD-Fab player 6 Ultra library and put it in JRiver ?? ;D

That requires reverse engineering ... and stealing all the hard work from DVDFab (assuming they did it ... which I highly doubt)

I don’t think JRiver is this type of company
Pages: [1]   Go Up