INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best practice for metadata for multiple computers  (Read 609 times)

alex014

• Recent member
Best practice for metadata for multiple computers
« on: March 09, 2020, 06:40:53 pm »

Hi I have a question about using jriver on multiple machines. Basically my setup is as follows . I have a htpc in my home theater that I using for viewing . Then I have a pc where I rip and store all my movies . And third I have a laptop for everyday use. WhAt I would ideally like to do is be able to edit the metadata for all my movies on my laptop and basically store that info on the machine that for lack of Better term is a server. I could then add the libraries on the htpc . I am trying to avoid having to turn on the projector everytime I add a movie . Also can I choose the subtitle tracks that I want played as well from the laptop. Sorry for the newbie question . Thanks in advance

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Best practice for metadata for multiple computers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 08:38:17 pm »

Take a look at the Media Network topic on the wiki.  You can use Library Server, running on your server and access it from your other PC's.

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 05:36:13 am »

I have more or less the same scenario like you: A PC in my Home Office, a Media Renderer in the Living Room and a MC server in a dedicated room.

All metadata, personal data and media files are centrally stored on the MC server. You should use MC's client server Architecture.

I manage all metadata using Win Remote Desktop on my PC (your Laptop), requires Win 10 Pro on the server. It is also possible to manage the metadata on the MC client and sync this with the server (works for most of MC's functionality). I rip on the PC but you must switch to the main library to rip and move then the files to the server (If that functionality hasn't changed?).
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

alex014

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:23:31 am »

Cool thanks for advice . Just so I am clear though when I use a client server I connect basically connect to the library on the Server ? Or I am I totally wrong ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 08:26:00 am »

Yes.  The quickest way to understand it is to use it.  It's easy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up